cheese lovers

Options

Replies

• Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    ravenzwart wrote: »
    Cheddar is well not cheese.

Whoa whoa whoa!! Cheddar is not cheese?!!!!????

Since when? Have I finally made the switch to a bizarre cheese free alternate universe?

Feeling more than a little shocked/unsettled/lightheaded at this news - off to eat "fake" cheese / "the delicious contender for the king of all cheeses - cheddar*" (*depending on which reality I'm in) to give me the strength to go on!!
  • makelemonade14
    makelemonade14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I cut back, but won't give it up. I've switched to vintage sharp white cheddar, aged 2+ years. It's $12/block but I use far less so it's ok. :) the extra sharp flavor means I can taste it even when using far less.
  • makelemonade14
    makelemonade14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also buy the light mini babybel cheeses. With a couple slices of low sodium turkey it makes a filling, high protein 100 cal snack.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would never ever ever give up cheese, I love it too much. I use Sargento Ultra Thin sliced cheese, 40-45 calories per slice and they have a nice variety.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think I've eaten cheese every day since June when I weighed in at 163 pounds. Weigh it, eat it, enjoy.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    phil6707 wrote: »
    Originally from Holland and i love cheese. and miss a lot of Dutch cheese.
    I made it myself also.

The high salt level in cheese here, makes me avoid it as much as possible. An buy some low salt options.
    But yeah i miss really good old Amsterdam cheese ( its a bit like extra sharp cheddar, but riped so long that it is a "dry" cheese. It is much and much stronger)

Than bring on all the French cheeses..yummieeeee

yep i love cheese.....too much

I hear you, I am French and I am dying here...so little choice and what is available does not remotely compare to what we have in Europe. And when I find French cheese, I pay 8 time the price....A good piece of old Amsterdam...makes me dream :)

Totally agree
    But didn't want to offend anybody...lol I think what is here normal cheese is no cheese to me.
    Something that looks like cheese, and taste a bit like it lol
    And indeed the "special" cheeses here are crazy expensive.

But soon enough i make them myself again. Yummie garlic and herb cheeses etc.
    Much cheaper. And i can control the salt intake.

You just have to be in the right part of the country. We make a lot of cheese here (Wisconsin) but the best stays in the state. What people from other parts of the US get from Wisconsin is our generic mass produced stuff. When I travel around the US, I can never find good cheese like I get at home. I have heard that Northern California and some parts of New England have decent cheese but they also stay in their local area and are not available elsewhere in the country.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I dated a cheese monger once. OH my word. Cheese all the time.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    phil6707 wrote: »
    Originally from Holland and i love cheese. and miss a lot of Dutch cheese.
    I made it myself also.

The high salt level in cheese here, makes me avoid it as much as possible. An buy some low salt options.
    But yeah i miss really good old Amsterdam cheese ( its a bit like extra sharp cheddar, but riped so long that it is a "dry" cheese. It is much and much stronger)

Than bring on all the French cheeses..yummieeeee

yep i love cheese.....too much

I hear you, I am French and I am dying here...so little choice and what is available does not remotely compare to what we have in Europe. And when I find French cheese, I pay 8 time the price....A good piece of old Amsterdam...makes me dream :)

Totally agree
    But didn't want to offend anybody...lol I think what is here normal cheese is no cheese to me.
    Something that looks like cheese, and taste a bit like it lol
    And indeed the "special" cheeses here are crazy expensive.

But soon enough i make them myself again. Yummie garlic and herb cheeses etc.
    Much cheaper. And i can control the salt intake.

You just have to be in the right part of the country. We make a lot of cheese here (Wisconsin) but the best stays in the state. What people from other parts of the US get from Wisconsin is our generic mass produced stuff. When I travel around the US, I can never find good cheese like I get at home. I have heard that Northern California and some parts of New England have decent cheese but they also stay in their local area and are not available elsewhere in the country.

i sure try were ever i come the cheese :)
    i love to try different cheeses So who knows one day i get some cheese from Wisconsin
    And yes New England seems to have good cheese too.

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Cc215 wrote: »

Since when? Have I finally made the switch to a bizarre cheese free alternate universe?

Feeling more than a little shocked/unsettled/lightheaded at this news - off to eat "fake" cheese / "the delicious contender for the king of all cheeses - cheddar*" (*depending on which reality I'm in) to give me the strength to go on!!

I think they mean processed cheddar. Real cheddar is barely known in non-english speaking countries.

Then again, real cheddar is rare in tbe US and Canada too and some people equate "cheddar" with processed cheese.

On first entering A Canadian supermarket, what they call "mozzarella" here completely blew my mind :)

NOT Cheddar:
    http://www.instagroceries.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/compliments-old-cheddar-cheese-bar.jpg

NOT Mozzarella:
    http://www.instagroceries.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/compliments-mozzarella-cheese-bar.jpg

I will not post images of the real stuff because I will surely crave it immediately but they're pretty easy to google.

I want cheese now :(
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    Cc215 wrote: »

lol not too Dutchies hehehe
    Sorry we are used to a totally different taste of cheese
    Much more flavor/stronger and a more dry texture.

You have to taste real Dutch cheese to understand what we mean.
    Of course cheddar is a kind of cheese too.
    But the cheeses made in the Netherlands are very different. And the cheddar used there is the about the same as the American slices and mostly used by McDonalds.

Most cheeses are aged longer and most are grass cheeses.

Its not to offend anybody, only when you are used to such kind of cheeses than you have something like a disappointment when you eat for the first time cheese in the States :)

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I have been to Holland multiple times and eaten and loved many of your cheeses, but clearly you've never eaten cheddar. This is Cheddar:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1262524/TOM-PARKER-BOWLES-Real-Cheddar-comes-farm-factory--chuck-plastic-imposters.html

Matured, dry texture and flavor galore. Realy, go over the channel to Britain and try it:) you're missing out.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm a Quebecer. I could never give up cheese.

Actually, I find myself eating even more cheese since I started back at MFP. I track calcium in my diary, and it's usually far too low. Cheese is one of my go-to ways to boost my calcium intake.

Processed plastic stuff in the supermarket is NOT cheese, IMHO. I get fresh cheese straight from my local market fromagerie.

No need to give up the cheese. Just practice portion control, like everyone else said.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one ounce of (regular fat) cheese per day. I eat it by itself, super slowly, to get all the flavor.
  • Vincisomethng
    Vincisomethng Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just opt for low or no fat cheeses.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I dated a cheese monger once. OH my word. Cheese all the time.
    ^^ Marriage material right there.

I love cheese so much. But I did have to cut way back compared to what I used to eat. There are certain cheeses that I try very hard not to buy, because they will make their way into pretty much everything I eat! Low-fat cheese is so not worth it IMO. Just doesn't taste right. I eat a string cheese pretty much every day and it's pretty much my favourite part of my lunches at work. Parmesan Reggiano... I just can not live without it.

ETA: Bocconchini is great and lower in calories. I ate it in fritattas pretty much all summer. Yum!
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Cheese is like crack, i can't give it up no matter what. We get it from a local store that has a cheese factory across the road. Usually provolone or mozzarella but at the holidays we get gouda and others. They have some high end stuff. I like Seriously Sharp cheddar.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bkerr30 wrote: »
    I actually prefer goat cheese on pizza and you can get low fat goat cheese as well. I find a little goes a long way so you don't use as much.

I have to say I agree, first time I tried goat cheese crumbles on a Pita Pizza.. I was hooked. Doesn't take much either to really give it a nice zing.. toss on the veggies and yum, dinner! ;)
  • BWBTrish
    Options

I have been to Holland multiple times and eaten and loved many of your cheeses, but clearly you've never eaten cheddar. This is Cheddar:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1262524/TOM-PARKER-BOWLES-Real-Cheddar-comes-farm-factory--chuck-plastic-imposters.html

Matured, dry texture and flavor galore. Realy, go over the channel to Britain and try it:) you're missing out.

But that is the UK and i love the cheese there I worked in the UK so i know the cheese there.
    I mean here in the States ;)

• BWBTrish
    Options
    Sharp cheddar here is the closest i have tasted to the Dutch cheese
  • macphile
    macphile Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a "light" Sargento string cheese as one of my snacks. I'll put a cheese slice on burgers and stuff, too. I just generally try to avoid eating overly cheesy foods, or I limit the intake of it.