Juicing?

Options
I love documentaries about health (open to suggestions) and have noticed a trend of juicing. A particularly popular documentary, fat sick and nearly dead, shows a man on a 60 juice fast.

Anyone here juice, fast, or do reboots? What's your opinion on it?

Replies

• Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've never done a juice fast. I loved that documentary. I think a juice fast is a great idea for cleansing and detoxing your body. I think anyone could benefit from a detoxing-- but 60 days is probably not for many people.
  • shaunsmoot
    shaunsmoot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've never actually juiced, however I've read in several articles that it's a quick way to lose weight. Only to also learn that it's mostly water weight that is being lost. Most people tend to gain this weight back shortly after they start eating normally.
    Stick with MFP and it will help you keep it off for the long haul. MFP a lifestyle change not a quick fix!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,002 Member
    Options
    Leave the fibre in and eat food, I know, not a revelation, but you get to chew food and use your teeth. Oh, and eat in a deficit if you want to lose weight.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no need for you to juice. As Neanderthin said, leave the fibre in and eat food! If you're looking to lose fat, eat at a caloric deficit. Your kidneys, liver and skin handle all the "cleansing" that your body requires. Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is not so much a documentary as it is an infomercial.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sounds like a terrible idea. removing and throwing out all the fiber. what for? you can just eat fruits and vegetables whole instead, and track calories and eat at a deficit. it's extraordinarily easy to do.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point. Eat fruits and veggie plus other foods (like with protein).
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I've never done a juice fast. I loved that documentary. I think a juice fast is a great idea for cleansing and detoxing your body. I think anyone could benefit from a detoxing-- but 60 days is probably not for many people.

Your body doesn't need to be cleansed, or detoxed. You have organs that do that just fine without starving yourself on juice for days.

OP, just eat your fruit/veg.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You miss out on far too many important nutrients if you are only going to drink juice. Eat healthy, learn how to prepare food and eat well, exercise, and you will lose weight and become healthier.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    God intended fruits and vegetables to be consumed whole. Removing part of the food/fuel is silly.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I love documentaries about health (open to suggestions) and have noticed a trend of juicing. A particularly popular commercial/mockumentary, fat sick and nearly dead, shows a man on a 60 juice fast.

Anyone here juice, fast, or do reboots? What's your opinion on it?

Fify.
  • BeastReborn
    BeastReborn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I watched it, I juice, but I've never done a juice fast, there's no need to do so. I eat fruit like crazy, but I'm not a fan of veggies. I like to juice a few carrots with a beet, drink it on down. Gives me all the vitamins and minerals that I'm not getting from the rest of my diet and I don't have to munch on carrots all day long.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    The guy in the "documentary" Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead owns his own wellness brand, writes books, and is generally trying to take your money. There is not conclusive clinical proof that juicing cures/prevents cancer, which is what that documentary alluded to (and maybe even said directly- it's been a few years since I've seen it.

Juicing is bunk at best. At worst, it's dangerous. Your body is not full of toxins. Drinking juice does not detoxify your body (your liver/digestive system/kidneys remove waste).

Juicing removes fiber. A higher-fiber diet has been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels and prevent constipation. High-fiber foods also tend to contain more nutrients and fewer calories, are digested more slowly, and help us feel full sooner.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The daughter of a good friend is into it and we had a long discussion. She has swallowed the kool-aid fully and insists that you absorb the nutrients better if the food is juiced and that removing the fiber allows your colon to dump all the stuff it has been holding on to. I got the usual list of "toxins" (dioxins, PCBs, bisphenol-A, DDT, phthalates, heavy metals, etc.). When I asked her about this; the fact that these come from pesticides and herbicides mostly and they are still present in her veggies, and how does juicing remove them when cooking and/or chewing raw does not, and I received silence. She also had no answer when I pointed out that your colon cleans itself best when you eat a high fiber diet and that humans generally have all food pass through within a 24-36 hour period. Nothing gets "stuck" unless you have a medical issue which causes weak walls in the colon that can create pockets for waste to accumulate. We compared 4 months of food diaries (including her 1 month juice fast) and they actually were very similar in the number of calories. I just ate a regular calorie amount each day where she had higher calorie amounts for months with one month of a very low calorie diet. Hers was much higher in carbs and much lower in fiber than mine. I would rather get some veggies in every day (along with my protein, fat, etc) rather than binge on veggies only for a month. I really think that can eventually throw things out of whack if you do it 4 times a year like she does.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you really like Documentaries, then you must absolutely be disgusted by those films like "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". That's not a Documentary. What those films are, can be referred to as Scaremockumentaries.

And they work. Too well.
  • thekatielong
    Options
    I personally watched maybe 10 minutes of the movie and can tell you it's junk for real facts. As people mentioned above juicing is a bad idea. I have done extensive research on it, and it's actually not as healthy as you would assume. Fiber is one thing you are throwing away which you need in order for your guts to function properly and second you are skipping the natural digestion of food. It's another grapefruit diet.

If you do like to drink your food, just get one of those ninja blenders or a high amp blender and put everything in and blend, this way you are getting fiber nutrients and your stomach has something to breakdown other than liquid.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    NO!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    SMH at the number of juice threads lately...

I like to eat my fruits and vegetables. They make me feel fuller longer than juice and the fiber is good for my system.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no need for you to juice. As Neanderthin said, leave the fibre in and eat food! If you're looking to lose fat, eat at a caloric deficit. Your kidneys, liver and skin handle all the "cleansing" that your body requires. Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is not so much a documentary as it is an infomercial.

200.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    deja-vu-o.gif