check out my food diary and explain to me

Options
any hints on where I am going wrong people - and Yes for all the scale weighing obsessed people - I am making sure my food entry is exactly correct. I am way under my calorie goal everyday and maintaining my exercise routine - but the scales are NOT changing. I have reduced cm's from hips and thighs and stomach - but no change in scales, body fat also coming down. Getting really frustrated. Its becoming an obsession to see a change in the scales - its almost like I am a science discovery - the person who cannot lose actual weight.
- and PLEASE people I don't understand when people say - you are not eating ENOUGH to lose weight - because that has to be crap, prisoners of war lost weight and they were NOT eating enough either!!! People in third world countries lose weight and they don't eat enough either! So please don't go down the not eating enough path.........because that doesn't make sense.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not showing you weigh everything.

Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) - I've had bananas that weigh 80 grams, I've had bananas that weigh 150 grams. That can equate to quite a calorie difference
    Steak - Fillet Steak, 1 steak - how large was this steak? Did you use any oils or seasonings when cooking it?
    Homemade - Fresh Garden Salad, 1 cups - what was included in the salad? It logged as 46 calories, which would only consist of the vegetables and no dressing/cheese/other extras

Make sure you are weighing and logging EVERYTHING, and using the appropriate entries that account for what you are eating.
  • Kendall2006
    Kendall2006 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. It just seems your skimming off to much. Breakfast should consist of a meal and not just coffee. One should be able to 3 meals a day between 400-500 calories and 2 snacks in between at 100 calories or less. You may need more vegetables/fruits incorporated into your day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You only have a week logged, its not enough time. Weigh and measure your food, including the bananas, or you have no idea what you're really eating.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It could be water retention, you've only been logging for what, a week? How much weight do you have to lose? If, in fact you are logging accurately, you would need to eat more to avoid nasty things like malnutrition and muscle loss. I don't think you are logging as accurately as you think.
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    you are not eating ENOUGH to lose weight - because that has to be crap, prisoners of war lost weight and they were NOT eating enough either!!! People in third world countries lose weight and they don't eat enough either! So please don't go down the not eating enough path.........because that doesn't make sense.

Those are terrible examples of weight loss. Those are horrible situations. Those are not healthy situations. Those peoples bodies are treated terribly and shouldn't not be looked at as a way to lose weight. They were not not eating enough by choice. Staving your body of the fuel it needs is not healthy.

Log accurately, give it time, and eat your calories. Healthy weight loss is steady and slow weight loss (at least in my opinion).

Do you want to be healthy and have a sustainable weight loss or do you want a quick fix?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. It just seems your skimming off to much. Breakfast should consist of a meal and not just coffee. One should be able to 3 meals a day between 400-500 calories and 2 snacks in between at 100 calories or less. You may need more vegetables/fruits incorporated into your day.

No. You don't have to eat breakfast to lose weight, and meal sizes are a personal preference.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Jagerin wrote: »
    you are not eating ENOUGH to lose weight - because that has to be crap, prisoners of war lost weight and they were NOT eating enough either!!! People in third world countries lose weight and they don't eat enough either! So please don't go down the not eating enough path.........because that doesn't make sense.

Those are terrible examples of weight loss. Those are horrible situations. Those are not healthy situations. Those peoples bodies are treated terribly and shouldn't not be looked at as a way to lose weight. They were not not eating enough by choice. Staving your body of the fuel it needs is not healthy.

Log accurately, give it time, and eat your calories. Healthy weight loss is steady and slow weight loss (at least in my opinion).

Do you want to be healthy and have a sustainable weight loss or do you want a quick fix?

I don't think she was using them as examples of losing weight. A lot of the time with these types of threads, posters will suggest the OP eat more to see the scale go down. Which doesn't make sense.

OP, like others are saying, it doesn't look like you're logging accurately.

• Mcbummers
    Mcbummers Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have reduced cm's from hips and thighs and stomach - s, body fat also coming down.

Do you need to make weight for a competition to compete in a certain weight category?

If not, why the hell do you care what the scale says IF you are losing fat!

Scale weight is just a guide. When people see you, they'll see if you look fat/thin/fit etc. Unless you're running around holding a billboard with your weight on it, no one is going to know (or care) what the number is.

Get some perspective.

Also, don't undereat massively below your maintenance calorie level. If you do, then not only are you starving yourself unnecessarily, but when the fat loss slows down what do you do then? Try and do more exercise on such a low cal diet? Cut calories even further? It's a recipe for failure.

It's all in the planning. You've already cut your calorie intake in half in just a week. Now where's that left you? Dead end.

If you want to do this PROPERLY..as in lose bodyfat (not "weight" - because thats just as likely to be muscle mass as it is fat) Then you need to be smart and plan properly. Otherwise you're going to be just another yo-yo dieter messing their body up, feeling crap and looking crap.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it just hasn't been enough time. If you are only eating what your diary says I think you will lose. Any day now. Just keep it up. Tightening up on your logging won't hurt of course, but mostly be patient. You'll probably see a loss in the next couple days.

55835802.png

• weightlossme
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) - I've had bananas that weigh 80 grams, I've had bananas that weigh 150 grams. That can equate to quite a calorie difference
    Steak - Fillet Steak, 1 steak - how large was this steak? Did you use any oils or seasonings when cooking it?
    Homemade - Fresh Garden Salad, 1 cups - what was included in the salad? It logged as 46 calories, which would only consist of the vegetables and no dressing/cheese/other extras

Make sure you are weighing and logging EVERYTHING, and using the appropriate entries that account for what you are eating.

Fillet steak small palm size, NO ADDITIVES or I would have listed them.
    i small Banana, actually smaller then one listed - I ALWAYS underestimate to allow for any calorie difference.
    Salad - AGAIN if I had of had dressings etc I would have listed it - salad consists of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, mung beans and celery. small bowl, which means a SMALL bowl.

This is the problem, my apologies for being blunt because I do appreciate your assistance - but when I list things I mean what I list, and I get sick of people saying "oh maybe you ate this or that or cheese etc and did not List it" - well NO, I didn't.
  • weightlossme
    Options

Thank you - so does this mean that adding MORE food will do what? increase metabolism? obviously when you eat very little but do not drop anything on the scales, the thought of eating More scares you - as I think - well I am eating so little and NOT losing actual scale weight, doesn't that mean eating more will put on weight?. This is my problem, and this is the area I need to have explained to me.
  • weightlossme
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You only have a week logged, its not enough time. Weigh and measure your food, including the bananas, or you have no idea what you're really eating.

Yes - been doing this for 3 months in a book diary, just switched to online last week. Its always the same, I rarely ever go over 1200 calories a day, in fact I am usually way under.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    That or you have some metabolic issue. You need to see an endocrinologist.
  • weightlossme
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    It could be water retention, you've only been logging for what, a week? How much weight do you have to lose? If, in fact you are logging accurately, you would need to eat more to avoid nasty things like malnutrition and muscle loss. I don't think you are logging as accurately as you think.

water is a good one. I do feel heaps heavier in the afternoon and OMG before a period I put on literally 3 kilos without changing anything in my diet or exercise. I do not drink a lot of water, I do drink a LOT OF TEA. I don't log Tea in my diary as I do not add milk or sugar - but I do drink about 12 cups a day. I use Tea in fact to ward off hunger as I am always too busy to eat, running around and skipping meals.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I agree seems really vague.
  • weightlossme
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Jagerin wrote: »

I don't think she was using them as examples of losing weight. A lot of the time with these types of threads, posters will suggest the OP eat more to see the scale go down. Which doesn't make sense.

OP, like others are saying, it doesn't look like you're logging accurately.

I do log correctly and I am Healthier then Healthy - my meals are usually rasberries, blueberries, fish, salad, greek yogurt, lean meat, organic chicken, mung beans for snacks, lots and lots of salad, I drink black tea and soda water mainly, and an occasional beverage with guests on public holiday weekends etc. I am Very Healthy - but VERY busy and therefore skip meals a lot. But when it does go in my mouth - its always healthy. and NO I do not have an obsession with food or anything, I don't try to not eat, it just happens with my workload and family and business etc.
  • weightlossme
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    I'm guessing it just hasn't been enough time. If you are only eating what your diary says I think you will lose. Any day now. Just keep it up. Tightening up on your logging won't hurt of course, but mostly be patient. You'll probably see a loss in the next couple days.

55835802.png

I LOVE YOU and Thank you.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

i small Banana, actually smaller then one listed - I ALWAYS underestimate to allow for any calorie difference.
    Salad - AGAIN if I had of had dressings etc I would have listed it - salad consists of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, mung beans and celery. small bowl, which means a SMALL bowl.

This is the problem, my apologies for being blunt because I do appreciate your assistance - but when I list things I mean what I list, and I get sick of people saying "oh maybe you ate this or that or cheese etc and did not List it" - well NO, I didn't.

You only mean what you list if you weigh or at least measure (volume) everything. You aren't doing that. Was that salad recipe your own or just searched on the database? Saying you ate a small bowl says nothing. I could eat a small bowl of soup and it may have more calories than my homemade 3-large-bowl soup (which is usually around 600 cals).
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

So ... still not gettin' it then, right?

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yes - been doing this for 3 months in a book diary, just switched to online last week. Its always the same, I rarely ever go over 1200 calories a day, in fact I am usually way under.
    You are eating more than you think if you think you are able to sustain eating way less than 1200 calories. Look through stickies that talk about how to log properly because until you do that you have no idea how much you are eating.