healthy desserts?????

Options

Replies

• auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    You will get a thread full of people's personal favourites here. You may like some of them or dislike others -- that all comes down to taste, which is personal.

But ultimately, the only thing that matters is this: There's no such thing as a "healthy" or "unhealthy" dessert. There's simply food that fits your calorie and macro goals, and food that doesn't.

Eat what you enjoy. Just make it fit.

This +1

• Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    klaraam wrote: »
    My weakness is also sweets. My goal is to lose 50lbs, 15 down and 35 to go.

Yes, it's hard to avoid sugar... Good work, keep it up!!! :D

no need to avoid sugar..

calorie deficit = weight loss

not individual food choice.

Ah yes but a tasty dessert without the sugar calories = bigger calorie deficit ;-)

not if you work it into your day ...

I eat deserts all the time, no issues with weight loss or deficit...

Stevia instead of sugar will always be less calories regardless of your day.

I could work sugar instead of stevia in tea into my day, but I'd have to eat less of something else and most probably have more hunger issues.

Unnecessary added sugar is, IMO, like alcohol, an empty calorie. Nice as a treat but if you want to eat well and lose weight, keep it under control.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

no need to avoid sugar..

Ah yes but a tasty dessert without the sugar calories = bigger calorie deficit ;-)

not if you work it into your day ...

I eat deserts all the time, no issues with weight loss or deficit...

Stevia instead of sugar will always be less calories regardless of your day.

I could work sugar instead of stevia in tea into my day, but I'd have to eat less of something else and most probably have more hunger issues.

Unnecessary added sugar is, IMO, like alcohol, an empty calorie. Nice as a treat but if you want to eat well and lose weight, keep it under control.

how is it empty?

sugar provides your body with energy, which is the used to fuel bodily functions. < how is that empty??

and are you really putting alcohol and sugar on the same pedestal? Really?????
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but I guess it is relevant as CICO is helped by less sugar.

So my answer would be, my body gets enough energy from the other carbs I eat including fresh fruit, breads, some rice and pasta, as well as the protein and fat. I find if I keep my added sugars down I have more calories left from my 1800 or so for main meals.

Anyway, try the Oppo ice cream if you get a chance it's actually very nice. You could even add sugar to it if you planned your day around it - 2 for the price of 1 :wink:
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is the Yo-Crunch, Yopa Greek Yogurt with Dove Dark Chocolate Pieces. It's wonderful!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Rice crispy treats
    Strawberries with cool whip
    Chocolate covered strawberries
    Graham cracker with PB
    Rice cakes with PB2 and chocolate chips on top
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

no need to avoid sugar..

Bigger calorie deficit shouldn't necessarily be the goal. If my goal is 1700 and I'm at 1450 at the end of the day, there's no virtue in trying to stay below 1500. There might even be reasons it's not ideal.

That said, lots of nice suggestions for the OP. Berries with whipped cream (whip it yourself) are delicious. I also like apples dipped in Fage 2% greek yogurt, although I usually think of that as part of breakfast/dinner more than dessert. It could be dessert, though.
  • SamT0824
    SamT0824 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Chocolate. If I'm low on calories, I'll eat two pieces that amount to 120 calories.

Generally, though, I still eat ice cream most nights, or lately graham crackers with flavored cream cheese. Just make what you want work into your calories.

I agree, make it work with what you've got. Maybe that means smaller portions and maybe that means just fruit as a sweet treat! I still indulge but just in smaller quantities. Or if I really want something, I work for it by exercising a bit more! If I want a healthier dessert I usually opt for chocolate dipped fruit.
  • nawtyuh
    nawtyuh Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I like to eat some Stonyfield vanilla yogurt with fresh blueberries, little bit of honey and sometimes I add a little granola. It's sweet enough and if you weigh it all out or measure it, pretty low calorie. :smile:

If you really need some chocolate, you could have a couple of squares of chocolate. Or those wafer things from Skinny Cow are really yummy, about 110 calories per bar.

It's really all about fitting it in to your allotted calories for the day.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Cooked apple slices with cinnamon and a pinch of cloves. Cook on stove top, can add a bit of coconut oil, or a little liquid. Apples seem to taste so much better cooked.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Frozen Greek Yogurt. It comes in individual servings and is delicious. Plus it's extra protein! Win win :)
  • klaraam
    klaraam Posts: 30
    Options
    I got one of these as an Ocado sampler the other day - the salted caramel one.

Bloody lovely!

http://greatpreneurs.com/interview-charlie-thuillier-oppo-ice-cream/
    I got one of these as an Ocado sampler the other day - the salted caramel one.

Bloody lovely!

http://greatpreneurs.com/interview-charlie-thuillier-oppo-ice-cream/

Sadly I don't think this is available in my country :( Maybe I can find something similar!
  • klaraam
    Options
    I've gotten another bunch of great tips and recipes! Thank you!
  • klaraam
    Options
    I actually have a tip on my own, I don't know the amount of calories or anything but it is good and easy to make.

Oatcake in the microwave:

You need an egg, oats, sweetener(I use banana or honey but you can choose what you think tastes best) cocoa powder, grated coconut

Just mix it all together in a cup or bowl and put it in the microwave for as long as you think it's necessary and then enjoy :D
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I think everything is healthy in moderation but my number one favorite light desert is jellied fruit - just posted recipe here (spoiler - there's a pic, don't click if hungry): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10067295/light-and-easy-desert-jellied-fruit
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Blackberries and fat free whipped cream.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Come on guys.. stay on topic.. we don't need to turn this into another battle of sugar. We all know how those end.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate. It's blizzarding here and I have mine ready for dessert tonight.
  • nfelts5
    nfelts5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I love sugar in all forms haha and since I'm now trying to loose some weight and become healthier I would love some tips or recipes of healthy desserts, cakes etc.

Hop you can help me :)

Take ripe bananas, cut them into 1 inch (approx) chunks and freeze. Put in a food processor (or blender) and mix. Watch it go from dip-in-dots type texture to creamy banana ice cream!
    Add vanilla and/or unsweetened vanilla almond milk... I've even added cocoa powder. I might try adding peanut butter too!

• Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I replace sugar or atleast half the sugar with natvia/stevia sugar