Thoughts on "Quiting Sugar"?

Options
Hi,

What are your thoughts on quitting sugar?
Has anyone ever quit sugar and what were you results?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are going to get a lot of opinions, but you can fit sugar (even added) in your diet and still be healthy. Just try to look at your diet from an entire context.
  • Seraphina_Rowan
    Seraphina_Rowan Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Why? Sugar is yummy :smile: Fit it into your macros and enjoy it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also, I worry more about total calories and protein than sugar. But overall to give you context, protein affects satiety, muscle retention, and metabolism. Fats affect satiety and help with hormone regulation and carbs (this includes sugar) affect energy.

And lastly, i find when I cut out any food, I tend to binge.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    I like sugar, it tastes good and haven't found any logical reason to stop consuming it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this is a record for sugar threads so far this new year??

OP: I eat everything in moderation, lost 121 pounds doing that. :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    quiting? did you mean you're trying to quiet it down? shut up sugar!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've done it before when I was low-carbing. It made it easier to keep a calorie deficit, but that wasn't only because of cutting sugar...I also cut all starchy carbs, like bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. There was no other benefit, but I will say that even now, limiting those foods helps with the deficit, but that's only because they are high in calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I wonder if this is a record for sugar threads so far this new year??

OP: I eat everything in moderation, lost 121 pounds doing that. :)

Sugar is evil is fully entrenched in the collective psyche and this year will be a banner year and probably maintain this pitch for the next couple. Gluten free I suspect has some fairly big upside for the next few years as well. If your somehow employed by the diet, fitness or wellbeing industry, your security is well in place.

• EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    Hi,

If by sugar you mean, refined sugar, there is no better thing to do, if by sugar you mean ALL sugar, you can do it temporarily if you are very overweighted, but is not good to go low carbs for long time, the body needs some carbs, not too many but it needs, specially if you are a sugar burner.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hello sugar thread

XD
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Look into keto. :) I keep my sugar intake as close to zero as I can, but I also limit my carbs. Go with whatever works for you. I love keto and it is the only WOE that I feel good about myself with.

Edit: Forgot to add in that I lost already 30 lbs with it and am happier than I've been in a long time now.
  • Anniepi66
    Anniepi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you completely give up sugar without giving up almost everything except protein and some vegetables. I try to limit it, but have not completely cut it out. As someone said above, sugar is good - well, not spoonfuls on its own, but in baked goods like cake and pie and such. And I still eat some of that now and again. This way I don't feel deprived and binge eat. And totally giving up rolls for dinner, uh, no. But one will do a couple times a week instead of two or three several times a week. Sandwiches, hardly ever. So, no, not giving it up. ;)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have a carb goal which i try not to go over. Sugar falls under that macro but it's the overall macro i care about. Fiber is also a carb and i think it's beneficial to track that to ensure i get enough fiber in my diet. I don't see the benefit in tracking sugar specifically, for myself given i have no medical reason to.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to unless you have a medical condition.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Might as well lock the thread now Psulemon.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi,

'Toxic Sugar?' 18min vid @YT:
    youtube.com/watch?v=UU3GvRsFHqY
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    quiting? did you mean you're trying to quiet it down? shut up sugar!

You still got that wrong.