White Rice Vs Brown Rice

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Brown rice tastes like dirt.

You can't make sticky rice, it tastes like dirt BUT it has a bit more fibre...wow tough choice! :p
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sticky rice for me with peanut sauce

Brown has a bit for fiber and a few less carbs if it matters to you
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I prefer the texture of brown rice. I also like that it has more fibre. I know it doesn't have LOADS more fibre, but I take it where I can get it. Whatever.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I hate brown rice, it tastes so bad like I would honestly rather eat cauliflower rice than brown rice. I kinda even dislike people who say they prefer brown rice to white rice...I can never fully trust them.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »
    I hate brown rice, it tastes so bad like I would honestly rather eat cauliflower rice than brown rice. I kinda even dislike people who say they prefer brown rice to white rice...I can never fully trust them.

I like the nutty texture, but the extra 15-20 mins to cook? Just can't commit to it...
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has more arsenic, so I would avoid it and get your fiber elsewhere, especially if you prefer white rice overall.

http://consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Wow. I feel so much better now. I always thought that I was the only one who didn't like brown rice. There is something so comforting about white rice. I'd never give it up! I'm happy to get my fiber other ways!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Can't make decent Shrimp Fried Rice with leftover Brown Rice.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Brown rice has more arsenic, so I would avoid it and get your fiber elsewhere, especially if you prefer white rice overall.

LOL

cue the food fear mongers
  • biorobotics
    Options
    brown rice is what i have on hand; i like the taste (white is bland), and it only takes about 40 minutes in the rice cooker, which gives time to make the rest of the meal while the rice is cooking.
    nothing beats the occasional sticky rice, though.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    cwlsr wrote: »
    I will keep it short! If you like all types of rice then spend $20.00 and buy yourself a rice cooker. You just put in rice and water or anything else you would like to cook with it. After that just push a button and It (cooker) will let you know when the rice is ready to eat. One of the most valuable cooking items in any kitchen.

Agreed.

I so gotta just do this... thanks for the reminder both of you :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    More fiber as in how much? Like 3 grams? Honestly. Is 3g really that much that it should he a factor at all?

context and dosage.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

APPLES have arsenic.

• Hearts_2015
    Options
    any particular brand you recommend that you like better than another? Or does it matter much? thanks :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »

this made me laugh.
    White rice for me too, tried the brown rice and still loads in the cupboard. it looks funny and tastes funny to me.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

APPLES have arsenic.
    oh no i was just about to eat an apple. i will eat the sweets instead.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

APPLES have arsenic.
    oh no i was just about to eat an apple. i will eat the sweets instead.

lol I believe the arsenic is in the seeds of the apple if I'm not mistaken. ;)