Trying and failing to lose. #frustratedfemale

Options

Replies

• FitForMaddy
    FitForMaddy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What does weighing your food do? Lol I am at a loss here...open my mind please?
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Don't listen to people that tell you to eliminate processed foods, gmo, whatever.

The secret is calories, that's all. And you have to track them accurately.

For example: If I measure with a spoon a TBS of peanut butter, and then weigh that amount on a scale, I'm likely eating more than the calories for that serving (look at the grams on the nutrition facts). These numbers add up fast. It's the best thing I ever did for my weight loss.

#seriouslygetafoodscale

edited for clarity
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i was just as flausterated untill i started tracking food comsumption .and wow o wow made a huge differance and then heres,the other big one not over exercising .what i mean was i was spending hours and hours every day .to much way to much found a balance and started loseing .consistant is everything !! good luck to u
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

It helps you keep track of your calorie intake more accurately than just "eyeballing" your portion sizes.
  • tmove2015
    tmove2015 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Be patient. Stay consistent. The pounds will come off. You can do it!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Many foods are meant to be weighed, not measured with a dry measuring cup. Meat, vegetables, etc. Even peanut butter. Very often the amount you can fit in a measuring cup vs. the serving size weighed, is way more than the serving. It can stall weight loss.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Don't listen to people that tell you to eliminate processed foods, gmo, whatever.

For example: If I measure with a spoon a TBS of peanut butter, and then weigh that amount on a scale, I'm likely eating more than the calories for that serving (look at the grams on the nutrition facts). These numbers add up fast. It's the best thing I ever did for my weight loss.

#seriouslygetafoodscale

edited for clarity

Ugh, I bought peanut butter yesterday and weighed it (I've avoided it for awhile), and two tablespoons is miniscule.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    iliajones wrote: »
    I'm eating 1200 calories daily: 40% protein/ 30% carbs /30% fat

You have no idea how many calories you are eating unless you WEIGH your food!!
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thorsmom05 wrote: »
    I don't weigh my food but I do track calories. I've been told to up my protein and lower carbs. I'm a vegetarian so that has proven somewhat difficult. @c

You can't 'track calories' without weighing your food!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    It's going to ensure that you are eating the amount of calories you need in order to be at a deficit. If you are "eyeballing" your portions, you are definitely, without question, eating more than you think. Every experienced MFP'er on this site will tell you the same thing - get a food scale, weigh everything. You will lose weight, guaranteed.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

#seriouslygetafoodscale

edited for clarity

Ugh, I bought peanut butter yesterday and weighed it (I've avoided it for awhile), and two tablespoons is miniscule.

It depresses me a lot, too. And PB2 is just not the same. :/
  • MplsJones
    Options
    slomo22 wrote: »
    stop hash tagging and you'll see results

#nothelpful
  • MplsJones
    Options
    thanks everyone! I am more than convinced that a food scale is a necessity.
  • arditarose
    Options

Yay! Get one as soon as you can and let us know how it's going.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Oh my god I needed that first link in my life when I bought my food scale. Did you know that for about a month I weighed my pasta AFTER I cooked it? 2 oz of cooked pasta is the most depressing portion in history. And I didn't even notice the grams on nutrition labels until I asked a dumb question on the forums and was gently pointed to look that way.

But OP, seriously: buy a food scale. I got mine for $7.99 total on eBay over a year ago, and it is the very best purchase I've ever made. It really opened my eyes to what food portions look like, and I feel totally lost if I try to cook/eat without one.

(I'm very seriously considering buying a second one just to leave at my boyfriend's house.)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

If you only eat prepackaged, preportioned and already weighed foods, you don't have to weigh it again (some people think so, but at least I don't). But you really should eat other things too - rice, pasta, produce, meat, milk, nuts, lots of things can be bought cheap in large containers.

Amount of calories depend on what food it is and how much of it it is. If you don't know how much you are eating, you won't know how many calories you are eating. A large potato has more calories than a small potato.

Lots of foods are difficult to measure. Weighing is sort of fool-proof. You will know exactly how much you are eating.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

I'm so glad you listened :) It's such a rarity around here.
    Check back in a couple weeks and let us know if you're seeing results.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »

Oh my god I needed that first link in my life when I bought my food scale. Did you know that for about a month I weighed my pasta AFTER I cooked it? 2 oz of cooked pasta is the most depressing portion in history. And I didn't even notice the grams on nutrition labels until I asked a dumb question on the forums and was gently pointed to look that way.

But OP, seriously: buy a food scale. I got mine for $7.99 total on eBay over a year ago, and it is the very best purchase I've ever made. It really opened my eyes to what food portions look like, and I feel totally lost if I try to cook/eat without one.

(I'm very seriously considering buying a second one just to leave at my boyfriend's house.)

My food scale broke for about a week and I was seriously lost without it. It really showed me that I have no idea what a portion size looks like even after a year of weighing my food. But I'm getting closer!

I take mine over to my parent's house sometimes. They look at me like I'm nuts, but who doesn't want to feel like a mad scientist while they're making dinner?

• arditarose
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

I'm so glad you listened :) It's such a rarity around here.
    Check back in a couple weeks and let us know if you're seeing results.

Right? That was easy lol