White Rice Vs Brown Rice

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There are two forms of arsenic. Organic and inorganic.

From the FDA:
    "Arsenic is present in the environment as a naturally occurring substance or as a result of contamination from human activity. It is found in water, air, food and soil.

There are two general types of arsenic: organic and inorganic. The inorganic forms of arsenic are the harmful forms, while the organic forms of arsenic are essentially harmless.* Because both forms of arsenic have been found in soil, small amounts may be found in certain food and beverage products, including fruit juices and juice concentrates.

* Some scientific studies have shown that two forms of organic arsenic found in apple juice, dimethylarsinic acid (DMA) and monomethylarsonic acid (MMA), may also be a health concern.

Are apple and other fruit juices safe to drink?

The FDA has been testing for arsenic in apple juice and other fruit juices for decades as part of FDA programs that look for harmful substances in food. We continue to find the vast majority of apple juice tested to contain low levels of arsenic. The FDA is confident in the overall safety of apple juice consumed in this country. This is based on testing and analysis of arsenic in apple juice using the most sophisticated methods as well as a risk assessment that the agency recently completed. The risk assessment takes into account the amounts of apple juice typically consumed by children and adults.

Why is arsenic being found in fruit juices?

Organic and inorganic forms of arsenic can be found in soil, and as a result, small amounts may be found in certain food and beverage products.

Arsenic-based pesticides were commonly used in United States agricultural production up until 1970, when more effective substances became available. As a result, trace levels of organic and inorganic forms of arsenic can be detected in some agricultural settings, which may lead to small amounts of arsenic in certain foods and beverages."

This is what tripped that shameless peddler of woo, "Doctor" Oz up.

And it is just exactly as @ndj1979 said -- its nothing but "food fear" mongering.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Brown rice has more arsenic, so I would avoid it and get your fiber elsewhere, especially if you prefer white rice overall.

http://consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm
    APPLES have arsenic.

Tomatoes have nicotine in!

I'm on 20 tomatoes a day, I should probably cut back a bit!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cook your white rice in chicken broth and it turns brownish. WIN WIN. :smile:
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No brown rice wpid3268-DSC_3942.jpg
  • Tiamaria1010
    Tiamaria1010 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I prefer Jasmine rice--it is great! I can only stomach brown rice if I sautee it with chicken and veggies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    why is this in the gaining forum..?
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Brown rice has more arsenic, so I would avoid it and get your fiber elsewhere, especially if you prefer white rice overall.

Banana's contain nuclear radiation, booga-booga!!!

"A banana has beta radioactivity of about 15 Bq from its potassium-40"

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2014/NuclearRadiationSafety.2014.pdf
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

because rice makes you fat?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

The OP is trying to gain, and one of the benefits he listed of white rice is that it wasn't as filling, so he could eat more (which seems like he answered his own question).
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

The OP is trying to gain, and one of the benefits he listed of white rice is that it wasn't as filling, so he could eat more (which seems like he answered his own question).
    Looks like the OP posted in the correct place, although I'm not sure that half of the people trying to answer his question know where they are.

• MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Concerning Fiber - IDK what you guys put on your rice, and if you have an awesome suggestion lmk
    - but I'm putting beans on lately - high in fiber & protein

(Irish background so I grew up on potatoes - rice is has been introduced to my diet over the past 6 months because of the new babe.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Looks like the OP posted in the correct place, although I'm not sure that half of the people trying to answer his question know where they are.

That's one of the main problems with the "recent posts" tab, especially with the phone apps; you have no clue what subforum posts are in unless you look at the light grey, tiny header under the thread title.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Where do you feel I should have posted it?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

APPLES have arsenic.
    oh no i was just about to eat an apple. i will eat the sweets instead.

LOL
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Because he's bulking.
  • AliceDark
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I agree. People need to start paying more attention. We don't derp in this section.
    Just because we don't derp here doesn't mean that other people don't come in and try.
  • AliceDark
    Options
    Concerning Fiber - IDK what you guys put on your rice, and if you have an awesome suggestion lmk

(Irish background so I grew up on potatoes - rice is has been introduced to my diet over the past 6 months because of the new babe.
    Is there a reason you're concerned about not getting enough fiber? Because the volume of food most people need to eat during bulking should take care of your fiber needs.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Is there a reason you're concerned about not getting enough fiber? Because the volume of food most people need to eat during bulking should take care of your fiber needs.

I'm not concerned about fiber, in-between all the nuts & beans believe me I am not anywhere close to being constipated. I just made the point because a few people made the case of the increase in fiber in the brown rice - which is a awesome valid comparison - just saying I can justify the white rice I guess if the only major merit is fiber.

Plus white rice taste soo much better - and that is a big deal when you have struggles bulking.
  • AliceDark
    Options

I'm not concerned about fiber, in-between all the nuts & beans believe me I am not anywhere close to being constipated. I just made the point because a few people made the case of the increase in fiber in the brown rice - which is a awesome valid comparison - just saying I can justify the white rice I guess if the only major merit is fiber.

Plus white rice taste soo much better - and that is a big deal when you have struggles bulking.
    They're answering from a weight loss perspective. If you're trying to lose, getting more fiber from brown rice helps you feel full on fewer calories. If you're trying to gain, that's a reason not to choose the brown rice.