Wanna throw in the towel

Options
hi all ...so today was the weigh in day ..and I lost nothing

Replies

• 9TMare
    9TMare Posts: 24
    Options
    Don't let that discourage you! One of the best ways to measure your success isn't the scale but with a tape. Just because you didn't lose weight doesn't mean you weren't successful. Get a tape, track your measurements. I am sure it will help.
  • judymata
    judymata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Look at your activity and food intake and be honest with yourself. You can do this! Women lose inches before pounds, do you notice a change in your clothes?
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    How long has it been?
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you might lose nothing, some weeks you might lose 3 pounds. You're looking at the big picture, not week-to-week. Even if you have lost fat that week, you might have had a lot of sodium before weigh-in day, or it might be your time of the month. This causes water retention, which can mask as much as 5-8 pounds of weight loss (though more commonly 2-3). Don't get discouraged by a week of not losing.
  • size12girl2015
    Options
    I've been using my fitness pal since the 6th of jan 2015 !!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    You may be doing everything perfect and not lose. You could have ate something high in sodium. Our bodies fluctuate a pound or two. May not be what you want to hear but it happens. Too early to give up. Think of it this way. A single 16 ounce bottle of water is 1 pound. If you retained one bottle, that's a pound.
  • techgal128
    Options
    Can you make your diary viewable? What's your exercise look like?
  • size12girl2015
    Options
    I have been so good that's the thing so unsure as to why this has happened !! I'm due my period on Saturday not sure of this has effect of not as can't seem to find any info on that on here ! Just feel so discouraged..and like I want to eat everything as it seems so pointless in tracking etc if not losing !
  • size12girl2015
    Options
    How often do u recommend tracking my measurements ?
  • size12girl2015
    Options
    Techgal128 ...add me so u can see it as I'm not sure how to add people or change my diary view ..thank you
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of this for me is patience. Some people's weight / size won't budge for a whole month. This IS why people give up or don't even start trying in the first place. If you've done this for two months and see no progress, then you can start complaining. Until then, there are a host of factors like water retention, macronutrients, muscle swelling and whatever else I've been told about that could be affecting your perceived progress. HANG IN THERE!!!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I often gain the most weight days before my period instead of when I'm actually on it. Wait until it's over and weight again. Good luck...
  • techgal128
    Options
    Well, we need a bit more info. What's your calorie intake? Do you measure your food? What is your exercise? Do you weight train? I've gone 3 months and only lost 5 pounds but lost 11 inches. That's with strength training though.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Some people, such as myself, prefer daily weigh-ins.

Because weight can fluctuate a lot on a daily basis, a weekly weight doesn't give nearly as much detail. Your daily fluctuations can be larger than your weekly loss.

Then, if you see a gain, you just have to deal with a day or 2 of an elevated weight, not feel like you lost a whole week.

My $0.02.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you have lost 8 pounds. Is that since the beginning of the month?
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    As others have said, weight loss is not linear and is easily affected by a variety of factors. Sodium intake, when you have your period, exercise - I lifted weights yesterday and the scale claims I gained 3 pounds as a result.

It can take more than a few weeks to reflect a trend. Just keep logging, make sure your food intake is accurate (it's worth investing in a food scale) and appropriate to your height, weight, and activity level, and you will see results. They probably won't be as soon or as rapid as you'd like, but one of the first and hardest things you have to learn is patience.

And I mean, really, what's the alternative? Give up and stay overweight/unhealthy, and quite possibly get more overweight and more unhealthy?

It's worth the hard work, effort, and perseverance :)
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    How often do u recommend tracking my measurements ?

I usually measure myself (or rather, get a friend to measure) once a month or so.

Seriously though, even if you were perfectly good on everything, you might not lose weight every week. Or you might not lose as much as you're aiming for every week. I see on your profile that you've lost 8 pounds since January 6 when you started. That's great! Don't let one bum weigh in freak you out.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Could have been worse, could have been "today was the weigh in day ..and I gained 2.5 lbs. " Don't be discouraged. :) It could be a number of things, water weight, TOM, lunar eclipse etc... Your weight is going fluctuate from time to time. Keep at it!
  • size12girl2015
    Options
    Hi yes 8lbs in total since starting on 6th jan 2015