Wanna throw in the towel

Options

Replies

• Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Your period probably has a lot to do with it. In the week before your period, your hormones go nuts (pms) plus your body tries to hold onto all of its water (making you bloated and yucky-feeling) and your metabolism sky-rockets which makes you think you are dying of hunger. All of those factors can derail your weight-loss if you are not prepared to deal with it in a healthy way.

Drink lots of water to help flush out the bloat.

Eat healthy foods to stave off cravings - reward yourself with a little dark chocolate because that can help ease cramps as well as tastes indulgent.

Recognize when your emotions are being tampered with so that you can reign in an "its not worth it" binge before it happens.

And most importantly - Ignore the scale. Just don't look. Keep your diet on track and exercise as much as you can then weigh in after your period - you may be pleasantly shocked at how much you drop.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi yes 8lbs in total since starting on 6th jan 2015

Well wait a second, it sounds like you are on the right track then! That's actually faster than 2 pounds a week. Keep it up, you are doing fine. Just make sure whatever you are doing is sustainable.
  • Krock83
    Krock83 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I've been on here for months and my progress is slow at best (.2lbs in a month). I can tell you though that with all the logging tracking and visits to the gym I feel so much stronger. Stay strong and stay committed! You are making positive life changes.
  • size12girl2015
    Options
    Your right I don't want to give up at all I want to keep at it as its beneficial to me and my young children for Me to be healthy etc !
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    hi all ...so today was the weigh in day ..and I lost nothing

You're not the only one who goes through this. My roomate just spent a week dedicated to his goals and didn't lose anything either, and he's not the first one I've seen that happen to. I understand how discouraging this is, but keep your chin up.

Despite seeing people go through this, I've never seen this happen consistently. Stay focused, stay positive, and double check to see if you're making a simple mistake somewhere (e.g. logging something incorrectly, forgetting to log something, etc.). I've noticed that some of the entries people make aren't always accurate, so I make sure and double check what is on MFP vis-a-vis what's on the label.

Also, make sure you have friends here on MFP. Having folks to cheer you on, shoulders to cry on, others to motivate and cheer on, all that helps immensely (or at least it did for me). Anyone looking for more supportive friends should feel free to add me.

Please don't give up-you're worth the effort. :)
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I came across this quote, hope it inspires you: Good luck!

"PATIENCE. Let's be realistic here. You won't drop two jean sizes in one day. You won't lose fifty pounds in one month. You're going to binge every now and then. You will go a day or two without working out. Your weight is going to fluctuate here and there. You're going to try new techniques that may not work. You're a human being. You're going to fail now and again. But nothing great is ever accomplished without a few obstacles. JUST KEEP GOING."
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I came across this quote, hope it inspires you: Good luck!

"PATIENCE. Let's be realistic here. You won't drop two jean sizes in one day. You won't lose fifty pounds in one month. You're going to binge every now and then. You will go a day or two without working out. Your weight is going to fluctuate here and there. You're going to try new techniques that may not work. You're a human being. You're going to fail now and again. But nothing great is ever accomplished without a few obstacles. JUST KEEP GOING."

Yep, this. If you don't have patience, you will be your own foil.

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Some people, such as myself, prefer daily weigh-ins.

Because weight can fluctuate a lot on a daily basis, a weekly weight doesn't give nearly as much detail. Your daily fluctuations can be larger than your weekly loss.

Then, if you see a gain, you just have to deal with a day or 2 of an elevated weight, not feel like you lost a whole week.

My $0.02.

I agree. I weigh myself twice a day, first thing in the AM, last thing in the PM - it can change by 3 pounds in a single day, which I know is not true weight gain.

8 pounds since the start of the month is great progress.
  • size12girl2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone !! Your all so helpful and have help me realise this is normal and it's not just me its happened too ! Please feel free to add me ..as you can tell I need all the help and support i can get on my journey ..and is like to try help support you all too ..its a hard road but I'll get there !!
  • merlewalton
    merlewalton Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    Well, we need a bit more info. What's your calorie intake? Do you measure your food? What is your exercise? Do you weight train? I've gone 3 months and only lost 5 pounds but lost 11 inches. That's with strength training though.

Without more information all we can really do is encourage you.

If you are lifting you can have periods where your muscle growth weighs more than the weight of fat you lost.

If you are just eating less calories and not exercising then weight loss can be slower.

If you are doing cardio you still can be gaining muscle but usually not more than you burn fat.

If you are working out are you eating back your calories?

What is your weight loss time frame set to 1 lb a week? 2 lb a week? custom settings?

How often are you over your calorie limit? Are you way under your calorie limit? If you don't eat enough your body may be holding on to fat and burning muscle.

Honestly 8 lbs in 1 month is 2 lb a week (basically) and that's typically thought of as the fastest safe level of weight loss.
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    echofm1 wrote: »
    How often do u recommend tracking my measurements ?

I usually measure myself (or rather, get a friend to measure) once a month or so.

Seriously though, even if you were perfectly good on everything, you might not lose weight every week. Or you might not lose as much as you're aiming for every week. I see on your profile that you've lost 8 pounds since January 6 when you started. That's great! Don't let one bum weigh in freak you out.

I gained weight in one week and I got p***** off! I did give up for **4 **days! I weighed in and it really infuriated me, I gained 2 more pounds! You know what I did? I stopped worrying about the weight loss/gain and resumed logging my food and resumed my exercise. I lost 2 pounds. I have learned that you can NOT give up!!! Keep going and readjust things if necessary, but YOU MUST NOT GIVE UP!!!!

Edit*** it was 3 days not 4.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Hi yes 8lbs in total since starting on 6th jan 2015

Then perhaps you should adjust your expections. That's really good for that short period of time. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    So quit.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Do it then. If you truly want to give up nothing we say will change that.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It has been 21 days since you started MFP, and you complain that the scale has not moved. What were your expectations? You have 34 pounds left to go. Did you put that weight on in three weeks? Or did it creep over months or years?

Weight gain didn't happen overnight. Thusly, weight loss will also not happen overnight.

The scale is one singular measurement of your body's relation to gravity. You must measure all the things: chest, waist, hips, thighs, arms, calves, body fat, clothing size, etc. The more measurements you take, the more areas you will see success. I can tell you that my scale has not moved in a year, but I have dropped a pant size and lost 8% body fat.

If you use ONLY the scale, you are setting yourself up to fail.

There is so much more to this than just that damn number on that accursed scale. Put it in a box and forget it. Eat healthier, exercise, and let how good you feel be your guide as opposed to one stupid number.
  • Codilee87
    Options
    So quit.
    Daiako wrote: »

Sorta failing on the "Motivation and Support" end of things aren't you?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    So quit.

You're right, they forgot:
    pom-pons.gif
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ^^^ HAHAHAHAHA!!!!^^
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    And then what?
  • Codilee87
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    So quit.

You're right, they forgot:
    pom-pons.gif

Lol nice one