Squat Rack Etiquette

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    hill8570 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Today someone also came up to me and asked why my feet were so far apart. He told me to keep them smaller than hips width and only squat above parallel. I guess that's not bad etiquette but I was confused.

I'll take bad etiquette over bad advice any ol' day. What if you'd been a newb and actually taken the advice?

I don't know! I'm so confused. He's a body builder and looks great so what is going on with this advice?

he was giving you advice for a body builder. he's more interested in filling out his quads than getting his hams or glutes involved. depending on your goals the advice could be correct or extremely off base. MFP tends to be ALL POWERLIFTING ALL THE TIME so a wider stance is going to go over better here.

Okay, that is what I gathered from him. He was telling me I should not be involving hams or glutes. It is off base for me.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    Obeg wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Don't curl in a rack. Don't shrug in a rack. Don't bench press in a rack (unless your gym does not have a dedicated bench press). Don't deadlift in a rack.

In my opinion, the Squat rack is for Squatting and Overhead Press.

or you can clean in up. Sorry I cannot clean my squat weight and I am not sure who can. So while I wait for someone who can clean what they shoulder press I will be staring hard until you are done overhead press in the squat rack.

The work I do with OHP is pretty much to failure. While I may be able to get it up safely with a clean, I may not be able to get it down safely thus I will have to stop a rep or two short in order to stay safe. If I am in the rack, I can OHP to failure.

However, with that said, I do agree Squat takes all precedence. If I am aware someone is wanting to squat and I am on OHP - I will use the Press station (sitting) or even the Smith (yuck).
    -

You do know you do not need to go to failure to get stronger right? Yes I know about time under tension. The program I am on actually uses training max 90% of max and not true max.

I am currently doing 5x5 - so come the 4th or 5th rep on the last set, I should be pretty close to a natural failure.

Have to add - I OHP in the rack for safety. More than once I've had a failure where I unexpectedly couldn't get lockout (form issue? lack of focus? Basically a lift that felt good suddenly went pear-shaped.) and had almost no control of the barbell when it came down.

Not eager to drop a barbell from that height, even though it wouldn't have hit me.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    Don't curl in a rack. Don't shrug in a rack. Don't bench press in a rack (unless your gym does not have a dedicated bench press). Don't deadlift in a rack.

or you can clean in up. Sorry I cannot clean my squat weight and I am not sure who can. So while I wait for someone who can clean what they shoulder press I will be staring hard until you are done overhead press in the squat rack.

The work I do with OHP is pretty much to failure. While I may be able to get it up safely with a clean, I may not be able to get it down safely thus I will have to stop a rep or two short in order to stay safe. If I am in the rack, I can OHP to failure.

However, with that said, I do agree Squat takes all precedence. If I am aware someone is wanting to squat and I am on OHP - I will use the Press station (sitting) or even the Smith (yuck).
    -

You do know you do not need to go to failure to get stronger right? Yes I know about time under tension. The program I am on actually uses training max 90% of max and not true max.

I am currently doing 5x5 - so come the 4th or 5th rep on the last set, I should be pretty close to a natural failure.

Have to add - I OHP in the rack for safety. More than once I've had a failure where I unexpectedly couldn't get lockout (form issue? lack of focus?) and had almost no control of the barbell when it came down.

Not eager to drop a barbell from that height, even though it wouldn't have hit me.

I have to OHP in the squat rack. Not trying to kill myself. I pick a time of the week when I have the afternoon off and no one is squatting.
  • I put the clips on the front of the rack and OHP that way, but at 530am no one is around.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Although this isn't my top OHP, it's only about 40lbs shy of it. If I can't get the OHP up, it goes back to the starting position on my shoulders again. Then I just set it back down. Since my technique isn't the greatest, the OHP number isn't too much to handle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l13CvSuO9K4&x-yt-cl=84838260&x-yt-ts=1422327029
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I’ve never actually seen anyone curl in the squat rack.
    Go to the gym more.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

-

Have to add - I OHP in the rack for safety. More than once I've had a failure where I unexpectedly couldn't get lockout (form issue? lack of focus? Basically a lift that felt good suddenly went pear-shaped.) and had almost no control of the barbell when it came down.

I have been shoulder pressing for a while now and I have never had the weight not be in my control.
    Even if it is too heavy to do the whole rep. I put it back on my shoulder shelf un clean and put the weight back on the ground.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    I would saying use it to Press or even Bench (in the absence of a regular bench press) is fine. I cannot safely clean my higher-end weights. Not to mention that to get into a good pressing position the bar needs to be stationary and in a position to get under and grab.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

come to my gym.

you can watch me curl in the rack. all the damn time. and everybody that complains can go straight to hell. ain't nobody waiting on the rack, it's convenient, and if somebody comes up to use it, they can wait the entire 8 minutes it takes me to do 5 sets of curls. ain't nobody dying in 8 minutes. whiny babies.

• JeffseekingV
    dbmata wrote: »
    Go to the gym more.

Seriously. Use the preach bench for that stuff, or pick it off the ground or whatever. If someone is waiting for the squat rack, let them use it for what it's designed for. What's the worst thing that can happen if you have to pick it off the ground or another bench? Too much exercise?
  • yopeeps025

come to my gym.

you can watch me curl in the rack. all the damn time. and everybody that complains can go straight to hell. ain't nobody waiting on the rack, it's convenient, and if somebody comes up to use it, they can wait the entire 8 minutes it takes me to do 5 sets of curls. ain't nobody dying in 8 minutes. whiny babies.

You mean convenient in that you do not have to deadlift the weight up first?
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Although this isn't my top OHP, it's only about 40lbs shy of it. If I can't get the OHP up, it goes back to the starting position on my shoulders again. Then I just set it back down. Since my technique isn't the greatest, the OHP number isn't too much to handle.

Ha - someone doing pushups in the rack in the background.

• Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member

come to my gym.

Glad I don't go to your gym if your thoughts on that is "whiny babies".

• yopeeps025
    dbmata wrote: »
    Go to the gym more.

Seriously. Use the preach bench for that stuff, or pick it off the ground or whatever. If someone is waiting for the squat rack, let them use it for what it's designed for. What's the worst thing that can happen if you have to pick it off the ground or another bench? Too much exercise?

Well when I tried to lift it off the ground it takes away 3 reps of my curls. It takes too much energy to deadlift something so easy since you can curl it. 9 times out of 10 you can deadlift it up and if you cannot you have issues in your training that need to be fixed asap.

• DavPul

come to my gym.

yes, among other things. everything can be done quickly and easily. pick it up, start the set, change the weights, set it down. you know, everything that racks make easier.

here's me, curling in the rack. SOOOO many people were inconvenienced that day it's a miracle i'm not in jail.

aifrpythokzb.jpg

i'm even wearing gloves!!! what a weak pansy poseur i am
  • DavPul

come to my gym.

Glad I don't go to your gym if your thoughts on that is "whiny babies".

cosigned
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member

come to my gym.

yes, among other things. everything can be done quickly and easily. pick it up, start the set, change the weights, set it down. you know, everything that racks make easier.

here's me, curling in the rack. SOOOO many people were inconvenienced that day it's a miracle i'm not in jail.

aifrpythokzb.jpg

i'm even wearing gloves!!! what a weak pansy poseur i am

LOL, he's curling more weight than what I see most guys correctly squat anyway.
  • yopeeps025

hey now don't poke fun at her. I laughed though too. I think the lady on her left might be a trainer. hopefully not why is she focus on her while doing push ups. Yo jeff show that lady how to do a push up before she hurts herself.
  • JeffseekingV

come to my gym.

No deads on curl day
  • DavPul

you have a problem with that too? it's nice to be able to use the rack for pushups because you can make them progressive. that lady probably can't do full floor pushups and knee pushups suck. so she can use the rails in the rack, then lower them every week or every other week or so as she gets stronger. that way she progresses from being told all thru high school that women are too weak to do pushups and being told to do "girlie pushups" to being able to do full pushups.

but OH LAWD, someone might have to wait 10 minutes to get to the rack. OH NOES. heaven forbid people use the strength training equipment in a gym to.....gain strength in the area they feel they need to gain strength. SOMEBODY START A THREAD!

to be clear, people can do whatever they want, whenever they want as far as i'm concerned. you want the equipment, then get up earlier or wait your turn. i'm waiting to bench and you're using it for box jumps, go ahead and handle your business because what i want to do is not more important than what you want to do.

that said, to address the actual OP, using several different stations to circuit train in a busy gym is no go for me. you can use one station for whatever you want, but you don't get five