White Rice Vs Brown Rice

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Concerning Fiber - IDK what you guys put on your rice, and if you have an awesome suggestion lmk
    - but I'm putting beans on lately - high in fiber & protein

(Irish background so I grew up on potatoes - rice is has been introduced to my diet over the past 6 months because of the new babe.
    Is there a reason you're concerned about not getting enough fiber? Because the volume of food most people need to eat during bulking should take care of your fiber needs.

I'm not concerned about fiber, in-between all the nuts & beans believe me I am not anywhere close to being constipated. I just made the point because a few people made the case of the increase in fiber in the brown rice - which is a awesome valid comparison - just saying I can justify the white rice I guess if the only major merit is fiber.

Plus white rice taste soo much better - and that is a big deal when you have struggles bulking.

During a bulk, there's no reason to choke down food when there's something else that you like better. Especially when the macros are almost identical.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Basmati rice all the waaaaaaay!
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    ^Thanks for your insight! :flowerforyou:
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Mr. Tolerable. What's your weight up to now? 140?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Can't make decent Shrimp Fried Rice with leftover Brown Rice.

this
  • MrTolerable
    Options

It is 162 lbs on a heavy day and I'd like to be 165lbs this year before I start going six pack crazy again.

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I personally hate brown rice but will eat it if it's the only thing available. One thing you may want to try is a mixture of rice and quinoa; even though I don't like brown rice I love quinoa and that actually has some protein/fiber in it.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

It is 162 lbs on a heavy day and I'd like to be 165lbs this year before I start going six pack crazy again.

At the rate I am going though its going to be six months before I am a real creatine free 165lbs

• MrTolerable
    Options

At the rate I am going though its going to be six months before I am a real creatine free 165lbs
    I even quit ALL HIIT, and only run a mile and a half four times a week.

This past cut season I was doing HIIT and 4-5 miles a day after strength training... so this bulking is just frustrating because I can't focus on what I love doing...

looking at myself in the mirror with a six pack :wink:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    There are two forms of arsenic. Organic and inorganic.

From the FDA:
    "Arsenic is present in the environment as a naturally occurring substance or as a result of contamination from human activity. It is found in water, air, food and soil.

There are two general types of arsenic: organic and inorganic. The inorganic forms of arsenic are the harmful forms, while the organic forms of arsenic are essentially harmless.* Because both forms of arsenic have been found in soil, small amounts may be found in certain food and beverage products, including fruit juices and juice concentrates.

* Some scientific studies have shown that two forms of organic arsenic found in apple juice, dimethylarsinic acid (DMA) and monomethylarsonic acid (MMA), may also be a health concern.

Are apple and other fruit juices safe to drink?

The FDA has been testing for arsenic in apple juice and other fruit juices for decades as part of FDA programs that look for harmful substances in food. We continue to find the vast majority of apple juice tested to contain low levels of arsenic. The FDA is confident in the overall safety of apple juice consumed in this country. This is based on testing and analysis of arsenic in apple juice using the most sophisticated methods as well as a risk assessment that the agency recently completed. The risk assessment takes into account the amounts of apple juice typically consumed by children and adults.

Why is arsenic being found in fruit juices?

Organic and inorganic forms of arsenic can be found in soil, and as a result, small amounts may be found in certain food and beverage products.

Arsenic-based pesticides were commonly used in United States agricultural production up until 1970, when more effective substances became available. As a result, trace levels of organic and inorganic forms of arsenic can be detected in some agricultural settings, which may lead to small amounts of arsenic in certain foods and beverages."

This is what tripped that shameless peddler of woo, "Doctor" Oz up.

And it is just exactly as @ndj1979 said -- its nothing but "food fear" mongering.

Unfortunately, that MD is real and too many people still believe if you have an MD you must be a completely trustworthy source of all knowledge.

His show is proof that medical doctors don't necessarily know bupkis outside their field. (Sometimes even inside it)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why is this in the gaining forum..?

The OP is trying to gain, and one of the benefits he listed of white rice is that it wasn't as filling, so he could eat more (which seems like he answered his own question).

10-4 ...I missed the gaining part at the end ...whoops...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

maybe you should bump your calories up 150 to 200 a day..??
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Back to the post - white rice for me. Actually, any rice for me depending on the dish.

Even brown rice is OK in the right context. I had a pilaf made with it that was good. And there was a Chinese restaurant I used to go to where the steamed brown rice was actually tasty. I liked it better than the usual sticky rice. I don't know how they did it.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    There are two forms of arsenic. Organic and inorganic.

From the FDA:
    "Arsenic is present in the environment as a naturally occurring substance or as a result of contamination from human activity. It is found in water, air, food and soil.

There are two general types of arsenic: organic and inorganic. The inorganic forms of arsenic are the harmful forms, while the organic forms of arsenic are essentially harmless.* Because both forms of arsenic have been found in soil, small amounts may be found in certain food and beverage products, including fruit juices and juice concentrates.

* Some scientific studies have shown that two forms of organic arsenic found in apple juice, dimethylarsinic acid (DMA) and monomethylarsonic acid (MMA), may also be a health concern.

Are apple and other fruit juices safe to drink?

The FDA has been testing for arsenic in apple juice and other fruit juices for decades as part of FDA programs that look for harmful substances in food. We continue to find the vast majority of apple juice tested to contain low levels of arsenic. The FDA is confident in the overall safety of apple juice consumed in this country. This is based on testing and analysis of arsenic in apple juice using the most sophisticated methods as well as a risk assessment that the agency recently completed. The risk assessment takes into account the amounts of apple juice typically consumed by children and adults.

Why is arsenic being found in fruit juices?

Organic and inorganic forms of arsenic can be found in soil, and as a result, small amounts may be found in certain food and beverage products.

Arsenic-based pesticides were commonly used in United States agricultural production up until 1970, when more effective substances became available. As a result, trace levels of organic and inorganic forms of arsenic can be detected in some agricultural settings, which may lead to small amounts of arsenic in certain foods and beverages."

This is what tripped that shameless peddler of woo, "Doctor" Oz up.

And it is just exactly as @ndj1979 said -- its nothing but "food fear" mongering.

Unfortunately, that MD is real and too many people still believe if you have an MD you must be a completely trustworthy source of all knowledge.

His show is proof that medical doctors don't necessarily know bupkis outside their field. (Sometimes even inside it)
    That's unfortunately the case.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

well I am gaining and may increase my calories, but I have been trying to not sacrifice too much body fat in the process of gaining weight which is the bigger reason why it is soo slow.

Plus I hate food. I wish you could supplement 100% of your diet.
  • ELiCiT23
    ELiCiT23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has more micronutrients... but who cares? lol same nutritional macros... eat what you like
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    cwlsr wrote: »
    I will keep it short! If you like all types of rice then spend $20.00 and buy yourself a rice cooker. You just put in rice and water or anything else you would like to cook with it. After that just push a button and It (cooker) will let you know when the rice is ready to eat. One of the most valuable cooking items in any kitchen.

My Aroma brand rice cooker can also be used as a steamer for meat and vegetables. It's so easy! I put rice, veggies, and my meat of choice in, press a button, and 40ish minutes later it's ready! I love it :)

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

well I am gaining and may increase my calories, but I have been trying to not sacrifice too much body fat in the process of gaining weight which is the bigger reason why it is soo slow.

Plus I hate food. I wish you could supplement 100% of your diet.
    Dafaq?