Exercise Calories...Again

Options
"Can I eat back my exercise calories?" I know it's been asked, time and time again, and the answers are typically as follows: 1) "No." 2) Only eat back 50%, because MFP and typical gym equipment overestimates calories burnt." I understand all of that. But, I'm a runner, and I use RunKeeper to track my runs. It has my stats (height, weight, etc...) and monitors every single aspect of my run: distance, pace, etc... As a result, I feel that RunKeeper's estimations of the calories I burn are pretty accurate, since it bases the end result off of my personal stats and my run stats. I have MyFitnessPal linked with RunKeeper, so the calories that RunKeeper says I burned are reflected on my diary for that day. So, here's the question again: Can I eat back these exercise calories without cutting them in half, since I feel the original number is pretty accurate?

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've never tried runkeeper. It sounds more accurate than what you get on the gym equipment. Is it usually higher or lower than those estimates or about the same? Does it monitor heart rate? The only ones that I feel are really accurate measure heart rate.

The only way to know for sure is to try it. Try eating them back and see if you still move towards your goal. If not then try eating only 50% or none. Do what works for you. What works for you may not work for others, so very often it's trial and error.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    "Can I eat back my exercise calories?" I know it's been asked, time and time again, and the answers are typically as follows: 1) "No." 2) Only eat back 50%, because MFP and typical gym equipment overestimates calories burnt." I understand all of that. But, I'm a runner, and I use RunKeeper to track my runs. It has my stats (height, weight, etc...) and monitors every single aspect of my run: distance, pace, etc... As a result, I feel that RunKeeper's estimations of the calories I burn are pretty accurate, since it bases the end result off of my personal stats and my run stats. I have MyFitnessPal linked with RunKeeper, so the calories that RunKeeper says I burned are reflected on my diary for that day. So, here's the question again: Can I eat back these exercise calories without cutting them in half, since I feel the original number is pretty accurate?
    What it probably does not account for is you adapting to the training. A beginner might run a 5k and be exhausted where as an experienced runner may just be getting warmed up. The better you become at an activity, the less calories it causes you to burn. I don't ever log exercise. I never see the point. I use the tdee method to calculate calories. Just pick any reasonable number to start with, eat that many calories for 3 weeks doing your normal level of activity. If you do not lose weight after 3 weeks, decrease the calories slightly and repeat. If you do lose weight, make no change. If your goal was to gain weight, do the same thing but increase calories slightly after 3 weeks if you don't gain. If you goal is to maintain adjust calories in whichever direction you need to for maintenance.
  • reginab1984
    reginab1984 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    kellicci wrote: »
    I've never tried runkeeper. It sounds more accurate than what you get on the gym equipment. Is it usually higher or lower than those estimates or about the same? Does it monitor heart rate? The only ones that I feel are really accurate measure heart rate.

The only way to know for sure is to try it. Try eating them back and see if you still move towards your goal. If not then try eating only 50% or none. Do what works for you. What works for you may not work for others, so very often it's trial and error.

It's usually lower than what my treadmill would say for the same distance, and lower than what you would get if you looked up, say, one hour of running at moderate pace on MFP.
  • reginab1984
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    What it probably does not account for is you adapting to the training. A beginner might run a 5k and be exhausted where as an experienced runner may just be getting warmed up. The better you become at an activity, the less calories it causes you to burn. I don't ever log exercise. I never see the point. I use the tdee method to calculate calories. Just pick any reasonable number to start with, eat that many calories for 3 weeks doing your normal level of activity. If you do not lose weight after 3 weeks, decrease the calories slightly and repeat. If you do lose weight, make no change. If your goal was to gain weight, do the same thing but increase calories slightly after 3 weeks if you don't gain. If you goal is to maintain adjust calories in whichever direction you need to for maintenance.

In this situation, though, a beginner's 5K will be a lot slower than a more experienced runner's 5K. The beginner might average a 12 minute mile, which would result in fewer calories burnt than the experienced runner who averaged a 9 minute mile. And yes, once a runner becomes more experienced and "perfects" his or her form, fewer calories are burnt due simply to economy of motion in the stride, foot strike, arm swing, etc... However, I tend to believe that the decrease in calories burnt due to improved form is made up for by increases in speed and distance (major calorie burners).
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've stopped trying to figure out burn accuracy. over the years, I've stumbled upon my TDEE, and I've used that to map out my weekly allotment. I've changed my "goals" on here to reflect that I'm eating back 75%-80% of my burns.
  • reginab1984
    Options
    I don't worry about it as much for shorter runs, but when I get heavy into training and am burning 800, 900, 1,000, up to 1, 500 calories in a fairly short amount of time, it becomes a concern.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've used loads of different methods to estimate exercise calories in the last three years (3 different HRMs, two different phone apps for cycling, a power meter, web calculators, sometimes machine numbers for cardio, pure guesswork and gut feeling for strength/weight training.)
    Some very accurate, some clearly not, some methods no way of verifying.

And I've eaten back my exercise calories the whole time I was losing weight and also maintaining weight. It works better than TDEE method of estimating them for me as although my weekly calorie burn is high it also varies enormously from day to day and week to week.

The secret is adjusting your calorie allowance based on actual results. Which also has the benefit of compensating for inaccuracies in your food logging.

BTW - you could cross check your Runkeeper numbers against a running calorie calculator such as this....
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

• vankellett
    vankellett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are doing more than an odd run here and there and are training regularly, I would suggest it is very important to fuel your training adequately to assist with weight loss while making the training worth while.

Managing your macro nutrients and Nutrient timing are key ingredients to achieving your race weight.

If you aren't racing, just running for fun and enjoyment, I would maybe employee one of the methods above
  • reginab1984
    Options
    vankellett wrote: »
    If you are doing more than an odd run here and there and are training regularly, I would suggest it is very important to fuel your training adequately to assist with weight loss while making the training worth while.

Managing your macro nutrients and Nutrient timing are key ingredients to achieving your race weight.

If you aren't racing, just running for fun and enjoyment, I would maybe employee one of the methods above

I train four days a week, using a program that includes speed work, tempo runs, and long runs. I am trying to get to a lower race weight.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. If you feel you need the extra calories, use them. After 6-8 weeks, check your progress. Are you losing? If yes, then good. If no, then you may want to lessen your intake.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When all else fails, EXPERIMENT, OBSERVE, RECORD, MODIFY, VERIFY.

I mean,really, how hard is it to eat them back, see what happens in 3 or 4 weeks, make adjustments, and carry on.

This is about lifestyle, right?

Life. *A lifetime.*

A couple of weeks back and forth, or even a couple of months taking time to verify what works for your specific lifestyle and genetics, isn't going to derail a future lifetime of good habit, right?

Right?

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

The secret is adjusting your calorie allowance based on actual results. Which also has the benefit of compensating for inaccuracies in your food logging.
    This is basically what I was saying too. You're never going to be exact with anything so I'd rather be consistent. Rather then trying to estimate every variable, just deal with one, calories, and adjust them based on results.

• paultucker1007
    paultucker1007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    What it probably does not account for is you adapting to the training. A beginner might run a 5k and be exhausted where as an experienced runner may just be getting warmed up. The better you become at an activity, the less calories it causes you to burn.

Not really. Most people just go faster and burn more calories, rather than stay at the speed they started at.

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Eat them! You'll train harder for not starving yourself and lose less lean body mass in the process. I've always eaten mine and have lost 117lbs so far. I use a FitBit One tracker which is more accurate than logging exercise here.
  • reginab1984
    Options
    I generally don't eat them all back, anyway. Which, again, isn't a big deal if you're talking about 300-400 calories, say. But when I get to the point where I'm running 5-10 miles again, we're talking about 500-1000 calories. That's a lot of calories!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I mean,really, how hard is it to eat them back, see what happens in 3 or 4 weeks, make adjustments, and carry on.

Life. *A lifetime.*

A couple of weeks back and forth, or even a couple of months taking time to verify what works for your specific lifestyle and genetics, isn't going to derail a future lifetime of good habit, right?

Right?

Not about a lifestyle, actually.

She's trying to drop to race weight. Presumably there's a time limit to get there. Hopefully it's far enough to allow her time to experiment.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP, we're in a similar situation.

I eat back all or most of my run calories according to the .63*weight in pounds*mile equation; I don't eat back cross-training calories because I have no idea how to calculate them and they are my easy days right now (this will change in bike season). I'm losing weight at the rate I want to; actually a little faster. (That equation is more conservative than Garmin's estimate, which I imagine is a parallel to RunKeeper. So I wouldn't be surprised if RK/Garmin would get me closer.)
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Life. *A lifetime.*

Right?

Couldn't agree more. Definitely experiment, find out what works for you. Personally, if I am not hungry, I don't eat any of them back, if I am, I eat some back until I'm not hungry. Works for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Life. *A lifetime.*

Right?

Well put!

• LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I always eat mine back. I use an HRM though. I also have used it for circuit training which I have seen people advise against but it has all worked. If I stay withing the calories MFP gives me and lose about what it says I should.