Confused about how to measure waist - am I at risk or not?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Great photo!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well the health issue stems from visceral fat tissue, so I think it's not about the measurement per se but figuring out if you are carrying a significant amount of unhealthy fat there.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    no-offense but you are def at risk.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I can't think of a bone that would get in the way of a bellybutton measurement. Your bellybutton is above your hips.

but if you have wide hips, your belly isn't going to suddenly be narrow. it's connected. it could be just as wide, but flat if you don't have excess fat there.

Yes, it will.

There's an 8 inch difference between my natural waist and my hips. I have a classic hourglass figure.

Well good for you. You are not everyone and it doesn't take away from my point at all. So you think a wide and flat person in that area is at exactly the same risk as one with a narrow frame, but a stomach that sticks out if they have the same measurement? *rolls eyes*
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Your waist goes across your belly button. What is where to measure.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "fair"

LOL

It was the wrong word and I clarified later. Not a reason to be rude.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a bone that would get in the way of a bellybutton measurement. Your bellybutton is above your hips.

but if you have wide hips, your belly isn't going to suddenly be narrow. it's connected. it could be just as wide, but flat if you don't have excess fat there.

Yes, it will.

There's an 8 inch difference between my natural waist and my hips. I have a classic hourglass figure.

Well good for you. You are not everyone and it doesn't take away from my point at all. So you think a wide and flat person in that area is at exactly the same risk as one with a narrow frame, but a stomach that sticks out if they have the same measurement? *rolls eyes*

You are so unnecessarily rude and combative.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    A medical professional measured you. Now you want to measure in another place and pretend that the risk found by the professional doesn't exsist? Sounds pretty silly to me.

If it were me, I'd leave the state of denial and try to do something about the risk before it became something more than a risk factor.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Once I found an elastic tape measure, all my worries went away.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Once I found an elastic tape measure, all my worries went away.

Hehehehe.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am a woman with a high waist. I just went and checked my navel is straight in line with the top of my hips so if I measure at my navel I'm measuring hips too. My "curve" (natural waist) is right in line with between my navel and ribs though.

There are so many different shapes of women that don't fit into typical measurements. One of the reasons it's so hard to shop. :(
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

The flatness, or lack thereof, is likely going to overshadow the width. People who carry more fat in their midsection tend to have it more in the front than on the sides. Yes, obviously there will be some added to the sides but it is generally hanging in the front.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

The flatness, or lack thereof, is likely going to overshadow the width. People who carry more fat in their midsection tend to have it more in the front than on the sides. Yes, obviously there will be some added to the sides but it is generally hanging in the front.

i'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here. seems like agree though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Well the health issue stems from visceral fat tissue, so I think it's not about the measurement per se but figuring out if you are carrying a significant amount of unhealthy fat there.

This is really the key point.

And apart from the specifics of how to measure (between the hip and ribs!) I don't think it's that challenging to figure out if you have excess fat in the middle.

Same with the similar discussions of BMI--BMI ranges don't fit everyone, but it's not super hard to figure out if you are one of those people or not.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    "fair"

LOL

It's not the reason I was rude, but thanks for noticing!

• Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    None taken.

lemurcat12 wrote: »

And apart from the specifics of how to measure (between the hip and ribs!) I don't think it's that challenging to figure out if you have excess fat in the middle.

Same with the similar discussions of BMI--BMI ranges don't fit everyone, but it's not super hard to figure out if you are one of those people or not.

Agree, and not hard for me to see I have excess fat, but how much I need to lose is hard to know, and I'm not helped by the fact that my slimming club are all shouting at me that I need to stop and take target here as they all think I'm getting very upset and obsessed over not much. Which makes me think I'm going to need to leave that slimming club. Which is a shame, as I've made friends there, and I have welcomed the support across the 40lb I lost.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    "fair"

LOL

don't say thanks unless you mean it.
  • SergeantSausage
    Options
    "fair"

LOL

I meant it and I'll say it again: Thanks for noticing!
  • SergeantSausage
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    None taken.

lemurcat12 wrote: »

Agree, and not hard for me to see I have excess fat, but how much I need to lose is hard to know, and I'm not helped by the fact that my slimming club are all shouting at me that I need to stop and take target here as they all think I'm getting very upset and obsessed over not much. Which makes me think I'm going to need to leave that slimming club. Which is a shame, as I've made friends there, and I have welcomed the support across the 40lb I lost.

If the crabs are trying to pull you back into the bucket, it's time to find another bucket, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality
  • Aviva92
    Options
    "fair"

LOL

I meant it and I'll say it again: Thanks for noticing!

no you didn't.