Scale Down and Contrave

Options
Hello, I am just starting a medication called Contrave and you get a free membership to Scale Down. They send you a scale in the mail, you weigh in every day and then you get a text message based on how well you did. I just got it and was wondering if anyone else has done it or in on Contrave. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Looks like it was just FDA approved in September:
    http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm413896.htm

I don't know anything about it other than what I read on that site, but it doesn't seem to make people lose a lot, and it has some serious potential side effects.

• Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have tried Contrave. The scales you get are very nice. I took Contrave for 4 days. On day 5 I took my morning dose and 2 hours later I was vomiting, dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out. I had to go home from work. I don't know if it was Contrave that made me feel that way or if I had a bug but I have been scared to try it again. I think that is the worst I have ever felt in my life. There is not much out there on the internet because the drug is so new. Good luck to you.
  • jmiles81
    jmiles81 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank you for your input, I am almost done with week 2. I am doing one tablet in the AM and one at night. Tomorrow morning I start the 2 in the morning and I am a bit nervous. They seem to make me very tired and slightly dizzy even though one of the side effects is insomnia, but luckily no nausea. I am down 2 pounds, but I have lost those 2 pounds like 10 times before.
  • tnadungan
    tnadungan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just started this as well I will be taking the two pills once in the am and once at night starting tomorrow. I haven't had any of the side effects however, I have noticed I feel extremely tired. And actually my weight has gone up two pounds since I started it. But it could just as well be from too much salt. Who knows. I am hoping to see results, they don't need to be huge. After reading the side effects I was worried to take them at first. Hoping to hear some positives about this drug other than from my doctor.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I just started taking it Jan 14, 2015. I start 2am & 1 pm tomorrow. I did a lot of research as to what it actually was before I took it. It's a combo antidepressant & addiction-recovery medication. It seems to raise my blood pressure & give me a slight headache. But otherwise, I don't notice much of a difference. My Dr told me I might gain a little weight at first, then as the medicine kicks in, I'm supposed to start having less cravings for foods. Even my favorites will look less appetizing. Which overall means I'll simply eat less. I don't do too horribly now (I have bad days, but overall , not too bad).

After years of yo-yo results with weight loss (I lost 50 lbs in 2012...all back plus some), I'm discouraged, depressed, & tired of it all. I'm hoping that this will at least help me some, as apparently tracking & exercise alone aren't enough for long term effectiveness for me
  • psychRN83
    psychRN83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    How long did it take to get an email from Scale- Down to activate? I filled my prescription and activated my pharmacy card yesterday but still no email.
  • jmiles81
    jmiles81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It was a few days. It took about 2 weeks to get the scale.
  • tnadungan
    tnadungan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2. Week 3 will begin tomorrow and I still haven't received the scale.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I didn't get my scale til almost week 5. And I'm down 9 lbs. I still eat the foods I ate before, but I notice I just stop eating sooner. I get full easier. I don't reach for snacks as often.

I'm also getting help with WHY I eat, which is turning out to be just as important as what I eat. The more I eat just to feed my body, the better I do, both in amounts & what I actually consume. If I eat for boredom, comfort, etc, that's when I eat badly & too much of it.

On a side note with the scale, though it logs my weight, apparently their text system doesn't always get the notification, because it'll ask me at noon to weigh myself. Really? I'm at work!
  • MicheleGaston
    Options
    I started Contrave in February and am down 30 pounds using the medication and My Fitness Pal. I take 2 in the am, and 1 in the afternoon, when I took 2 in the afternoon it was affecting my sleep cycle. I feel great, I have recently started exercising and my energy levels are higher. I find it easier to make healthy choices, however Contrave does not stop your appetite or change it. I am also using the scale down program but it is irritating to weigh daily, especially since your weight can fluctuate. I just ignore the texts now and weigh weekly. The scale works great, and when you have a weight loss it is nice to get a congratulatory text. Hope this is helpful if you are looking into a medication, there are some dangerous side effects but both the medications in Contrave have been around for a while, and are deemed fairly safe. I would definitely use My Fitness Pal as well, so that you can track your weight and nutrition.
  • msgieb
    msgieb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just starting week 4 of the contrave. Will be taking 2 am and 2 pm. I can report that I am happier in my moods. I have a stressful job and no longer am filled with anxiety or worry. I also notice I am no longer reaching for a snack to help me deal with my feelings. I am certain I was addicted to food and now that need/urge is gone. Yay! I am down 7 pounds. I feel like it would be more if I ate more during the days. This is my main struggle. I'll eat a light snack or smoothie for breakfast and then won't eat again until dinner time. Since I am no longer focused on constant thoughts of food- I am finding myself craving exercise and other healthy creative outlets for my stress filled day. I am really happy with this drug.
  • LouisAlfieri1971
    LouisAlfieri1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am just starting this as well. What I've learned is that most of the physiological side effects come from a slight sugar drop off in some people (or a big drop depending on if you go overboard.) This is most likely to happen after you start the med, or increase the dose. Your body needs a few days to keep up with the changes .

So the nausea, dizziness, etc.. should all go away with a glass of OJ or something like that BEFORE the feeling gets too bad that you cant eat or drink.

Hope this helps
  • LouisAlfieri1971
    LouisAlfieri1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh,and you can turn off the text reminders for Scale Down in the "Account Information" page of the scale down website (not the Contrave website)
  • akalynnm
    akalynnm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I saw the post on Contrave and wanted to jump in. I began using Contrave and the scale down program on April 27. The medicine can make you feel a little skittish at times, but I attribute a lot of that to my change in eating as much as anything. Since beginning the program, I have cut out all carbonated drinks and my snacking between meals is gone. Likewise, my meal portions are about 1/2 of what they were. With Contrave, I just haven't been wanting all this stuff in my diet. It has helped me mentally overcome my "wants" for food. If I do get a craving for something sweet, I pop in a life saver at 10 calories and that takes care of it. Additionally, when I eat, if I slow down, I notice a "full" feeling much quicker. If I am in a hurry, I can still cram the food in without the full feeling, the key is to slowing down. Anyway, to make a long story short, this 300lb guy has lost 29lbs. I anticipate being at my 10% loss some time this week. Overall, I am super happy with the results and I can't wait to step on that scale in the doctors office a couple months from now to show off my success. The psychology of routinely stepping on that scale is a driver as well. I aim for a reduction everyday and work extra hard on the days when the scale shows an increase. I hope this helps everyone. I would like to hear how it has worked for everyone else....
  • cassieS2784
    cassieS2784 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For everyone who is at the two pills in the morning do you take them together or space them out like one at 8 and the other at say like 10?? I am just starting week 3 and down 6 lbs (since getting the scale) so pretty happy so far!
  • shenan32
    shenan32 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For everyone who is at the two pills in the morning do you take them together or space them out like one at 8 and the other at say like 10?? I am just starting week 3 and down 6 lbs (since getting the scale) so pretty happy so far!

I wondered that too. I hope you can. I'm only on day 3 but I dread taking two at once. I don't like taking pills anyway and these are so big that just the thought makes me queezy lol.
  • mfaulknersmith
    mfaulknersmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I just started yeterday! Praying this will help me!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. So the company making this drug has a marketing plan with a scale and other resources. They've linked to MFP as

I do have to commend them for pointing their customers to resources for reducing how much they eat, but I wish there was some education there about why you reduce calories eaten and why MFP would be a good resource for them.