Daily Exercise + Under Daily Calories = No Weight Loss!

Options

Replies

• quinwannet
    quinwannet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We're living self experiments, honestly I would try going low low carb. Or at least cutting out all wheat and avoid bpa plastics. All wheat nowadays is gmo and void of nutrition. Just google what's wrong with gmo wheat. Keep everything the same just change your macros and avoid wheat in gerneral.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

You're on the wrong site. MFP is not for you. Despite all the mounting evidence in the last five years, 98% of the people here think 2000 calories of donuts = 2000 calories of veggies when it comes to weight loss. Let them believe it. You don't have to.

There is a slowly building wave in the medical and nutrition communities against refined sugar and junk carbs. And it will continue to get bigger and bigger.

Start with the book Pure, White and Deadly, by John Yudkin.
    Thanks, Pretty.

I (almost completely) avoid refined sugars and junk carbs. No soda, no (well...very, very few "chips/crisps" — although I'll eat — and log — a serving or two of Garden of Eatin blue corn chips occasionally). Close to zero pasta or other noodles.

I know how evil that stuff is and am painfully aware and dubious of Big Food. (have you read, "Salt, Sugar, Fat"?http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Sugar-Fat-Giants-Hooked/dp/0812982193). Creepy. Makes my blood boil.

Thanks!

How did I miss that book? Thanks.
    p6iqx7qvj8ee.jpeg

• Awesomechic64
    Awesomechic64 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have plenty of advice. I would go with the TDEE and subtract 500 cals/day. And drink t least 8 glasses of water. Anyhoo...Just wanted to wish you all the best!!
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I buy it. OP's TDEE should be around 2400 + exercise. Even if he is grossly underestimating, there should still be some loss. I consumed fewer than 2000 calories per day with net calories even lower (about 1500 or so) this month and gained 11 pounds. Maybe OP should talk to a doctor to see if a low calorie diet (e.g. 1200 or so calories short term) is right for him if that's what it takes. It won't help him in the long run, but it would be a start if the tried and true MFP lifestyle is failing him.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You're frustrated enough that I'd throw money at the problem. Skip going out to eat a few times if you have to to afford it. Get some fitness testing done. The particular one in mind is the one where you breath into a mask for 10 min and they literally calculate your BMR from that based on what you're exhaling and go from there deciding what your intake should be.

Tip # 2 is that I would also start weighing things if they are going to swing more than 50 calories. Do I weigh lettuce? not really. But I can eat 100 cals of celery at once so yeah I do weigh that. Same with an avocado - half of one is 100-200 calories. You're not weighing your nuts? Wow that is easily a 150 cal swing there depending on how big your hand is. Trust me, 1 oz of nuts isn't that much. 6 oz of yogurt isn't either. See how this can add up?

If you care this much, then instead of throwing a tantrum about how you are not going to weigh things *kitten* that, even knowing that your intake is the problem, then why don't you just do it? If you care this much, you should do anything you can to meet your goal. Get an EatSmart scale from Amazon (I've tried both cheaper models, they are really nice) and just do it for a month. Prove to yourself that it doesn't matter instead of assuming it doesn't. I keep mine out on my counter and tare it out with the plate/cup right on it. It's so easy to do. It's easier than stupid measuring spoons and what not. I do not understand people who will pitch a fit about weighing their food. It literally takes 5 seconds.

Do it for a month. I usually go for a month and then lose 3-4 lbs in 3-4 days and then plateau for a month. Does it suck? Yes. Oh well. It's just how it is for me, and maybe you too.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I know they say you can't use hunger as a guide, but "just under satisfied" for me would mean a very slow rate of weight loss. I have to experience some hunger for the scales to move. And with all that exercise do you feel like there might be some body recomposition going on?
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    What's flummoxed
  • RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    DanielNotDan -

I can relate. That's for sure. You need easy. Try this first.
    Take everything you know and just apply these three things for two weeks and see what happens:

1) Drink tons of water. Increase to at least 1 gal. per day. There is a reason this is a foundation in EVERY eating plan I've ever read. Easy to do, and it works. Cools off your body and causes you to have to expend energy to heat up. Vital to all body functions. Deals with retention problems. Aids in digestion. Only drawback is I have to go to the bathroom more often (at first anyway).

2) Weigh your proteins. Don't freak out about the other macros so much. Here's why: You probably don't use enough oil to warrant weighing that. Use a tsp measurement. Stick with eyeballing your veggies, but log those in. It's pretty easy. Prep your proteins ahead of time. Cook chicken, beef, pork, whatever, all your main proteins on the weekends. Weigh them on a scale and cut them into 1oz cuts. You'll be able to do this pretty quickly. Then set them in baggies for each day or meal. You can't eat any proteins that you don't make at home (except HB Eggs).

3) Get a Heart Rate Monitor and get a more accurate estimate of your calorie output. You may find that you're not burning as much as the pre-loaded estimates say. You say you're pretty athletic. That may mean that you're not getting the VO2 exchange that the models are based on. You may not be able to measure...but your workouts may not be producing the work you think you are. That doesn't mean you're not working hard. Get a HRM and make sure you are. I'd even measure your HR for a few 24 hr cycles and recalculate your TDEE. Then, reset your intake (correctly measured) to get a deficit against that (not some BRM number that you got from a generic computer model).

• DanielNotDan
    DanielNotDan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    RNGRZulu wrote: »
    DanielNotDan -

I can relate. That's for sure. You need easy. Try this first.
    Take everything you know and just apply these three things for two weeks and see what happens:

1) Drink tons of water. Increase to 1gal/day.

2) Weigh your proteins. Don't freak out about the other macros so much.

3) Get a Heart Rate Monitor and get a more accurate estimate of your calorie output.

Great stuff, RNGRZulu. Thx. I think you're right about the HRM. And, I'll log more fiercely — despite tantruming like a GD baby.

So... If my "target" cals is 1500, and I "exercise" 100, I still need to eat 1500, right? IOW, MFP offsets the daily calories by that 100 amount, so I've often compensated for that by "eating up to the 1500." This is probably a HUGE no-no since, as you point out, I'm probably NOT burning as many calories as I think I am... Even though I feel I underestimate them. E.g. I count 30 minutes of P90x3 @200 calories & 10 minutes of heavy bag work at 50-75.

In any case, I intend to figure this out.

But — for the record — I'm NOT weighing a handful of shredded lettuce... A man HAS to draw the line somewhere.

Tyvm!
  • DanielNotDan
    Options
    ...with all that exercise do you feel like there might be some body recomposition going on?

I'm 100% certain my composition has changed, so yes. But I'd forego that (i.e., I WILL forgo that) to be lighter. I'm eating too damn much, that MUST be it.

Thanks for your input!
  • DanielNotDan
    Options
    AceofIvies wrote: »
    Tip #1: Get some fitness testing done.

Tip # 2: Start weighing things if they are going to swing more than 50 calories. If you care this much, you should do anything you can to meet your goal.

Does it suck? Yes. Oh well. It's just how it is for me, and maybe you too.

Thx! Great insights. I've been [<~~>] this close to hiring a PT, but the fitness test may give me more helpful facts.

I Especially appreciate the part about it sucking. :-/ ;-)
  • DanielNotDan
    Options
    Sounds like you have plenty of advice. I would go with the TDEE and subtract 500 cals/day. And drink t least 8 glasses of water. Anyhoo...Just wanted to wish you all the best!!

Thanks. Will do. New # is 1500, which seems low to me. But 1700-2000 ain't working at all, *IF* MFP calorie counts (and my entries) can be trusted.

You're awesome, chic!
  • DanielNotDan
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »
    Maybe OP should talk to a doctor to see if a low calorie diet (e.g. 1200 or so calories short term) is right for him if that's what it takes. It won't help him in the long run, but it would be a start if the tried and true MFP lifestyle is failing him.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, bokaba. I'd have to be POUNDING handfuls of, say, nuts or chips/crisps to be this far off. But it simply MUST be my food intake. I sure as hell ain't building THAT much muscle.

STILL... Don't anyone panic, I'll log more faithfully/accurately.

FTR: I did the HCG Diet...and, even though it's the only diet from which I've ever seen awesome results (70 lbs in 80 days — zero exercise!) I vowed that I wouldn't do things that drastic again. (500 cal/day for roughly 25 days). Don't get me wrong—losing that weight was TREMENDOUS. But...just THINKING about doing that again makes me shudder.

Sooooo...I REALLY thought the "Vigorous Exercise + Healthy Diet" would work well, but — no hyperbole — it isn't even CLOSE. And I absolutely HATE counting calories. I don't want to have to live like that.

BUT... I REALLY want to be 190 and trim/cut.... So, I have to do this. Wanted to find a PT (who's trim/cut) to help get there... And I'm nearly at that point.

I'm not giving up on this.

Thanks, again, for your response.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RNGRZulu wrote: »
    Get a HRM and make sure you are. I'd even measure your HR for a few 24 hr cycles and recalculate your TDEE.

This is TERRIBLE advice.

HRMs are not designed to give anything resembling accurate numbers for that purpose. You WILL end up with a huge over-estimate.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    In to find later.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    ...with all that exercise do you feel like there might be some body recomposition going on?

I'm 100% certain my composition has changed, so yes. But I'd forego that (i.e., I WILL forgo that) to be lighter. I'm eating too damn much, that MUST be it.

Thanks for your input!

Those darn scales! Think about what you just said. You would rather weigh less than have put on muscle and lost fat but stayed the same weight? Meaning you wish you hadn't put on muscle? You should be delighted you have put on muscle!

Those scales have messed with my head too. To the point that I have abandoned my efforts in frustration at times. Walked away from it all. And promptly got a little fatter.

If you are 100% certain that you have put on muscle and lost fat, I would say to stay the course. Or at the very least, make only tiny changes. But I'm biased perhaps. My motto is "Learning to lose weight s-l-o-w-l-y". Because I want it gone f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

• fallencherubim
    Options
    Hi, the same problem has happened to me too a few months back, I was tracking all my food intake but still gaining weight. Now I may not be as informed as all of you, but just recently I went back to the gym and it's being 3 weeks now and I've lost 8 pounds. I'm a biology student and recently we touched this topic in class, when eating certain kinds of foods we need to not only check the calories it has, but also the percent of Fat. We need calories to have energy during the day but consuming food with a lot of fat will make your body store it as Fat and burning Fat while burning calories is hard!! Plus eating a lot of sugar gives you energy and then the rest transforms into fat. Keeping this in mind has helped me tremendously, I try to eat the calories that I need daily but ones with fewer fats. I know not everybody is the same, but just wanted to share my experience.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hi, the same problem has happened to me too a few months back, I was tracking all my food intake but still gaining weight. Now I may not be as informed as all of you, but just recently I went back to the gym and it's being 3 weeks now and I've lost 8 pounds. I'm a biology student and recently we touched this topic in class, when eating certain kinds of foods we need to not only check the calories it has, but also the percent of Fat. We need calories to have energy during the day but consuming food with a lot of fat will make your body store it as Fat and burning Fat while burning calories is hard!! Plus eating a lot of sugar gives you energy and then the rest transforms into fat. Keeping this in mind has helped me tremendously, I try to eat the calories that I need daily but ones with fewer fats. I know not everybody is the same, but just wanted to share my experience.

I'm not sure that you understood that correctly, or maybe it was just touched on too briefly. Dietary fat does not make it harder for you to lose weight or burn fat.
  • KT022
    KT022 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just me (?) - But I notice a lot that if I don't eat ENOUGH calories (my output often ending up at 5-600 calories burned a day) I don't lose weight. My body freaks out and I gain weight. This has happened to me a lot in the past and I have successfully last weight last year eating around 2100 cals a day, a 5km walk and 50minute resistance session. I wasn't using MFP at that point, but it sure worked. Now I'm trying to do it by myself and I think I am eating too few calories again. It's just something that you might need to look into!