Shout out to those who begin again even when it's soooo hard!

Options

Replies

• wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes in our 40s this has to be a lifestyle overhaul not just a diet till at the magic number or it will come back! I started a year and a half ago at 198. Got down to 188 then lost focus, stress, inconsistent exercise ; injury. Restarted again at 191 and am now at about 181 for the last 6 mos by just making some different food choices. More health issues came; my 3 month streak that had me down to 176 got me back up to 181. Now starting again. Health is in order injuries resolved and dammit I know I can do this I just have to take it literally one choice at a time and treat that cardio like its s date with being alive longer.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Restarted in December. Down 20 lbs. Feeling awesome! o:)
  • assateaguegirl
    Options
    Thanks for your comment-- really needed it! Starting again after gaining. Step by step.
  • glp724
    glp724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have started over more times than I can count.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Doing it is all that matters :)

I'm not usually cheesy like this, but I do like these, maybe you'll like them too:

- "Fall down seven times, stand up eight" - Japanese
    - :)
    REALLY like this one, mind if I co-opt it? LOL
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This is my second time too! First time I lost 40 and gained it all back....this time I'm at 50lbs gone and still at it......for some reason....it feels achievable this time. Good luck and remember....You CAN DO IT!
  • csvan
    csvan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Starting again after putting forty pound back on now just one day at a time.we can do it
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's not the falling off the wagon that gets ya, it's the not getting back on. Took me a year to FIND the dang wagon again, but I am 25 days in and not stopping now!
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I am so sick of losing the same kg's over and over and over and over again and somehow I always end up with more to lose. How is that possible? :o
    This time I will stick to it until I get rid of the excess weight.
  • 1DEF
    1DEF Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I keep old 'diet' journals and old weigh in charts-yuk. With each of my many 'diets' when I hit about 15 to 20 pounds gone I think 'that was my starting point on my last diet.' It is amazing to keep trying after so many (hate to say it) failures.
    All we can do is never give up and try and try again. To give in and give up is not acceptable.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I started to lose weight healthily for the first time in April 2014. I was losing steadily and on target each week by using MFP and lost over 2 stones. Life "got in the way" and for nearly 4 months from September I lost my way rather than my weight!

I re-started 29 days ago and have since lost 9lbs. I've taken a photo of my face to see the difference, which is what I was doing for motivation previously, and it's SUCH a great way to reward yourself.

Keep at it folks! If there's a blip in the road, then remember, it's just that, a blip! You'll get back on track when you're ready. :smile:
  • Hey, all!

Thanks so much for all your "not giving up!" stories and snippets.

When I wrote the OP, I realized many people may relate to that from a viewpoint of weight loss.

For me, weight loss is not so much my focus. For certain reasons, I struggle with emotional eating as a coping mechanism to cover anger and sadness and to keep negative thoughts and feelings at bay.

For most of my life, I was unaware that this is what I've been doing.

Starting again, in terms of my own experience, means breaking the cycle of emotional eating by: 1) developing more awareness that I'm even doing it 2) acknowledging and accepting that, at this time, it still occasionally occurs and will continue to do so until I address the underlying issue and find suitable alternative coping strategies 3) develop and practice new coping strategies 4) being gentle and kind to myself, including positive self talk, when things feel hard and I feel slow and I want to cover up those negative feelings with food.

Something that someone recently told me that I found extremely helpful:

"The healing process is not linear, as much as we want it to be. It would be easier to move from one thing to the next and so on until we are healed. But instead, the healing process is more like going up a spiral staircase. You go around and around, moving through the same struggles again and again...but you are getting closer to where you want to be."

This was great for me, because it spoke to my own thoughts and experiences. Although I recognized I still have difficulties, I do have to stop every now and again to see how far I've come.

If you want to know more about my personal experiences, you can check out my profile. Within I reference two audiobooks that have become great resources for me.

And although many people have heard that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...not so many people think about how many of those miles are made up of:

- Wandering around because the traveler has no clue of where they are going...they only know they don't want to stay where they are.
    - Retraced steps when the traveler hits a dead end and has to turn around.
    - Retraced steps when the traveler unintentionally heads right back in the direction they came from, only to, sooner or later, figure out that is NOT where they want to head.
    - Expanses of new, challenging and totally unfamiliar territory.
    - Terrain that allows the traveler to exercise underutilized muscles and develop strength and surety.

And

- Hundreds of thousands of moments of decisions that may seem irrelevant at the time, but ultimately add up to being exactly what gets the traveler to where they are going.

Best to you all!

~M.C. Turtle
  • nclrn86
    nclrn86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My best friend & her husband & their two kids are staying with me. Its super hard when you're not the only one buying/preparing food... I have gained 7lbs since the beginning of Dec. Today is my restart day! I am determined to reach my '100lb mark' by the middle of March. Wish me luck! :smile:
  • snowfallingsoftly
    snowfallingsoftly Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm back too. :|
  • Bootsielynn
    Bootsielynn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, it's a restart for me too! "Life begins each morning... Each morning is the open door to a new world-new vistas, new aims, new tryings." I love this quote by Leigh Hodges and I thought that I would share.
  • spnglrbru
    spnglrbru Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Courage doesn't always roar.
    Sometimes courage is the quiet voice
    at the end of the day saying,
    'I will try again tomorrow.'"

- Mary Anne Radmacher

• lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting as well. I originally lost about 65 lbs but gained it all back after graduating college. I have been trying to start back but I am now actually committing to it. Here's to starting over, another 65 lbs to lose, and well on it's way
  • wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Welcome all! Thanks for sharing your stories! Today I made my first nutriblast and I am surprised it was very light but very filling?! The fiber from the fruits and veggies really filled me up for hours- it was only 228 calories but I got my 7 servings in for the whole day in that one drink! That's a first ever for me to get 7 servings. I really think I've found my nutritional savior alongside m f p and hearing from everyone . I had a snow day today and invested the time in reading the book that came w my nb rx. I made some cheat sheets of anti inflammation recipes and taped them in the cupboard door over the machine for easy access. I can see now how making one every night will set me up for the next two days lunch. I am eager to see the impact of this huge dietary and nutritional change in my fibromyalgia and weight loss progress. I am feeling hopeful for the first time in a long time about this-that it is a sustainable lifestyle change.
  • pprigge
    pprigge Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 in 2013, gained back about half, and started back in again with New Year. Down 14 lbs and determine to get to my goal size this time, we got this!!
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Here's to making it a lifestyle!! I'm constantly starting over then doing great for a while then just totally falling off the wagon. This time it feels different - don't want to jinx myself but it does! Good luck to you all with the same frustrating problem!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!