Phentermine

Options
2»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Kre: 14 lb in 14 days is not healthy, unless you're starting out with a BMI in the 40's or above, and even then your doctor would probably tell you to up your calories a bit.

OP: Here's the search page. It's linked at the top of each forum page.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search

Here's the search on phentermine.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=&search=phentermine&title=&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=

I used phentermine for several months when I started seriously trying to get my eating under control so I could lose weight.
    It was amazing that suddenly I was _not_ hungry, after being ravenous pretty much constantly for so long I can't remember not being hungry.
    As I'd hoped, it reset my hunger to a normal level and that has continued even now that I don't take it. (Or rather, rarely take it. I do use it once in a while if I know I have a long day ahead & won't be able to eat at my normal times.)

It does not lose the weight for you, it controls your hunger so you can eat less.
    That's all it does.
    You have to choose to eat less, you have to choose to exercise.
    It will help you learn to eat normal-size portions, so that once you stop taking it you'll be eating healthy. (If you don't learn, you'll be just like bustergirl... gaining it all back because you didn't change your life. But that's not the fault of the medicine.)

It can have side effects, and everyone is different as to what they experience.
    The only 'problem' I had, and it was very minor, was that my blood pressure was slightly elevated.
    That's it.
    No psychosis, peeling skin, racing thoughts, pounding heart, ER visit, etc.

Try it for a few weeks, see if it works for you (it might not). If your problem is not overwhelming/uncontrollable hunger, then it might not be what you need to help you lose weight.
    athijade wrote:
    It's dangerous to take
    No, it's not. The old phen/fen combination was damaging to the heart, that's why the fen part was taken off the market. There's nothing wrong with the phen part.
    Yes, it's related to amphetamine. But amphetamine wears ratty jean shorts, dreadlocks, and is stoned under a bridge. Phentermine wears a tux to dinner and eats lobster at the nicest restaurant in town.
    Now, if someone has other medical issues (which could be exacerbated by the potential side effects, such as high blood pressure) or the tendency to get addicted, it's probably a bad idea to try phentermine.

51637601.png
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have not taken Phentermine, but I know enough about it from the forum topics (the reason people recommended a search and that link was due to the fact that there are Phentermine threads that pop up at least once a day, or every few days).

I personally would not recommend it; it's essentially legal speed, and I have read some horrible side effects that people have experienced on it. If you do consider going on it, make sure you are getting it from a reputable doctor. Also make sure you are cleared medically, and have no conditions that could become worse or dangerous while taking it. I have a heart arrythmia called supraventricular tachycardia; something I've had from birth; and if I was to take it (I never would!), my tachycardia could become bad enough to require me to become hospitalized; tachycardia, an excessive heart rate, is also a side effect of this drug. It is not due to a valve problem like people with other forms of tachycardia, but it can cause a dangerous rise in your heart rate.

I can tell you from personal experience you do NOT want to experience what the ER does to combat a tachycardia episode! It involves an incredibly uncomfortable IV drug that temporarily "stops" your heart, and it is not a pleasant feeling.

I really would recommend using the search function to research some questions or tips for your personal goals, and pursue your weight loss through a calorie deficit and exercise. I would also recommend dropping the money used on a Phentermine prescription on a food scale, and some cute workout clothes. Also, utilize these forums for any questions about exercise routines, food, ect. It is free.

This.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just started taking it so would be interested in hearing how other people get on x
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah there are loads of threads on this topic.
    Yes I've used it, I was a sleep deprived, manic depressed mess! I've never had a hint of depression before or after using phentermine. I can't even tell you if I lost weight on, because I honestly can't remember! !
  • piercej12
    piercej12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like this stuff called "Kaloriendefizit." It works great. I think it's German, or something
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also this stuff nearly split my hubby and I up. I was a different person.
    piercej12 wrote: »
    I like this stuff called "Kaloriendefizit." It works great. I think it's German, or something

Haha I concur :D:D

• rcottonrph1
    rcottonrph1 Posts: 60
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am a pharmacist and I strongly discourage use of this dangerous and addictive drug. Is the possibility of dependence, drug induced psychosis, and cardiac problems worth losing a few pounds? Especially since you cannot be on the drug long term and will only gain the weight back when you go off it!

My customers ask me about diet pills and supplements all the time. I tell them all the same thing...If there were a solution in a the form of a pill, I'd know about it and be thin by now.

Yet here I am on MFP logging my food. Eating less and moving more. It isn't glamorous....but it works and it isn't dangerous
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Ddonna82 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any problems with this diet pill! Or any success!

Problems? Yes. I personally know someone who had a heart attack taking it. I also had a friend who took it and developed hallucinations because she never slept.
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've tried numerous diet pills and they haven't worked for me. However, I started eliminating carbs last week and have lost 4 pounds already. Yes, I know that's mostly water weight, but it's a start, and the scale is moving quicker than it ever has. I just load up on eggs, lean meat, and veggies.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I've tried numerous diet pills and they haven't worked for me. However, I started eliminating carbs last week and have lost 4 pounds already. Yes, I know that's mostly water weight, but it's a start, and the scale is moving quicker than it ever has. I just load up on eggs, lean meat, and veggies.

We're all the ones you tried over the counter? The one she is talking about is prescription and will work but can have dangerous side effects.

Veggies have carbs...
  • miaelissa
    miaelissa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Killed my sister. She leaves behind a 4 and 7 year old.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    miaelissa wrote: »
    Killed my sister. She leaves behind a 4 and 7 year old.

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    piercej12 wrote: »

It works, no side effects. :D