Carbs turn into fat.

Options
Wingg_
Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
hello. I'm wondering that since carbs turn into fats then I can just ignore the nutrition composition in MFP and displace some calories for fat with carb right? Since carbs will turn into fats anyway. That way our body may even uses more energy to convert one into the other. Can I do that?

Replies

• dizustyross
    dizustyross Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Carbs only turn into permanent stored fat when you eat over your maintenance calories
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Darn right they do. That's why I don't eat vegetables. Nothing but fat causing carbs.

Said no one ever.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    *looks at OP username*

*silently backs out of thread*
  • TheNamelessOnesWife
    Options
    No, don't do that. The carbs you eat that might be coverted to human fat stores in no way, shape, or form replace the need for dietary fat. Animal fats and plant oils have a completely different composition that are needed by our body because our body can't make them. Obviously it is more complicated than that, but that's the highlights.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    *looks at OP username*

:o;)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    o-rly__ruserious.jpg
    I'm wondering that since carbs turn into fats then I can just ignore the nutrition composition in MFP and displace some calories for fat with carb right? Since carbs will turn into fats anyway. That way our body may even uses more energy to convert one into the other. Can I do that?
    Your name is apropos.
    Can you eschew all carbohyrates? Yes, of course. Is it healthy? Not at all.
    Can you go very low-fat and high-carb? See above answer.
    And ANY excess calories will eventually be stored as fat. (Once the glycogen is topped off.)

Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges for macros:
    http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Announcements/~/media/C5CD2DD7840544979A549EC47E56A02B.ashx
    page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

And since higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss, if you went to the extremes of the healthy ranges for macros (45/20/35) it might help.
    Links to studies here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553

BTW, go read sexypants.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

51637601.png
  • timruddell
    timruddell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dinosaurs turn into coal. Can I just run my car on dinosaurs?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    timruddell wrote:
    Strong first post! :smiley::heart_eyes:
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    She is crazy (her own admission) and 19 ,... no more needs to be said.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    timruddell wrote: »

Bahaaha!

And OP - your basic premise (that carbs = fat) is very wrong.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    hello. I'm wondering that since carbs turn into fats

Carbs do not turn into fats. This is oversimplified, but an overabundance of carbs, and/or fats (and indeed proteins), can contribute to fat storage ( too many calories? store extra wherever possible. Excess carbs + fats = triglycerides, which are stored fats. Here the carbs do not turn into fats but essentially contribute to the storage molecule as a backbone).

then I can just ignore the nutrition composition in MFP and displace some calories for fat with carb right?

To a certain degree, depending on your body and your goals, you can manipulate the nutrient composition as long as it stays within certain calorific boundaries. However, this should really be guided by someone who some experience or knowledge on the best way to do this. You may also choose to try what is recommended by MFP for a period of time, and then do a small tweak.

Keep in mind fats contain more calories than carbs, gram for gram.

Since carbs will turn into fats anyway. That way our body may even uses more energy to convert one into the other. Can I do that?

Fats do not get turned into carbs, or vice versa. Fats and carbs have different functions within the body. You can't trick your body into using more calories by getting it to transform one macronutrient into another- your body is too smart for that.

Good luck.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not turn into fat. Whoever told you that has no idea how basic biology and aerobic respiration work.
  • Daiako
    Options
    *looks at OP username*

Damn.
  • Wingg_
    Options

Alright then thanks for the explanations. How many % of the diet should be from carb
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    *looks at OP username*

no-words-homer-into-brush_zps348fcc6c.gif

:DB)
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Here, read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

There is a ton of reading in there about how to get set up. That link also has information about percentages that should be useful. It's helped a lot of people.

Thanks for the info!
  • Daiako
    Options
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    Here, read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

There is a ton of reading in there about how to get set up. That link also has information about percentages that should be useful. It's helped a lot of people.

Thanks for the info!

You changed your name?