Thinking about drastically cutting my carb intake

Options
xsix
xsix Posts: 62 Member
I have been doing some research, seems that cutting my carb intake even lower and entering a state of Ketosis may be the answer for me, Brown Rice is one of my staple foods, so this is going to be interesting. My fitness pal budgets about 240 Grams of Carbohydrates a day, this will mean cutting down to around 30 Grams a day super low-carb diet.

Here is one of the articles that I read about it.
http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/carb-back-loading-training-without-carbs

What do you think?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    If you can't sustain the diet for life, then it's not worth attempting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you can't sustain the diet for life, then it's not worth attempting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^^^I agree.
  • Eatwell140
    Eatwell140 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ^^agreed. A balanced diet builds a better body. Be patient.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some people feel better on it. Give it a try.
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    LaineyVAhimsa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No! A major food group should not be cut out from anyone's diet. Its unsustainable and extremely unhealthy. Your body needs carbs, its the main food group that gives you energy. Just limit processed carbs and eat complex carbs, limit meat and dairy. Cut out saturated fat, eat good fats. Simple changes have a big impact over time. Its not gonna happen over night. Any diet that claims really fast initial weight loss will just be water weight you lose not fat ....
  • E_Ashton
    E_Ashton Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You're better cutting down on meat, cheese and milk rather than carbs trust me!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    E_Ashton wrote: »
    You're better cutting down on meat, cheese and milk rather than carbs trust me!!!

any reason for that?
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think you should give it a go, Ive found experimenting with foods and seeing how my body responds to be extremely interesting. I wouldnt do it for a long time though, as for weightlos well thats still just cico...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Unnecessary, but try it and see if you like it.

I found cutting carbs to a higher (non ketosis) level worked for me (100 or so, now 150 or less), but mine weren't super high to start with and I don't tend to adore carb staples like rice. If you are cutting out foods you love it seems like it would be more challenging and perhaps not sustainable, but see how you feel if interested.
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't cut it completely. You need carbs, especially if you're exercising. It's just a case of having the right carbs!! I've just put a post up about carb cycling, so that might work for you depending on how it works ... I'm hoping someone on here will be able to give me info! :smile:
  • Kfollett21262
    Kfollett21262 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I cut my carb intake to around 25 over 3 months ago. Have shifted 32 pounds and put my T2 into remission. Still have a long way to go (60 lbs) but have no doubt I will make it.
    There is so much info on line and lots of great, interesting recipes to make.
    Would not hesitate to recommend, I find it pretty simple.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,002 Member
    Options
    No! A major food group should not be cut out from anyone's diet. Its unsustainable and extremely unhealthy. Your body needs carbs, its the main food group that gives you energy. Just limit processed carbs and eat complex carbs, limit meat and dairy. Cut out saturated fat, eat good fats. Simple changes have a big impact over time. Its not gonna happen over night. Any diet that claims really fast initial weight loss will just be water weight you lose not fat ....
    Well, no.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    xsix wrote: »
    I have been doing some research, seems that cutting my carb intake even lower and entering a state of Ketosis may be the answer for me, Brown Rice is one of my staple foods, so this is going to be interesting. My fitness pal budgets about 240 Grams of Carbohydrates a day, this will mean cutting down to around 30 Grams a day super low-carb diet.

Here is one of the articles that I read about it.
    http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/carb-back-loading-training-without-carbs

What do you think?

As some of the others have mention it needs to be sustainable.

Some people will thrive off a low carb diet and find it easy to sustain, others won't, same as counting calories I suppose.

Also you don't need to stay so low carb that you are always in keto if you might find that difficult, if you are generally low carb, some find it quite easy to switch in and out.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Unsustainable - no (will be for some won't be for others)
    Extremely unhealthy - no (not even mildly unhealthy, in fact very healthy)
    Your body needs carbs - no (at least not dietary).
    Limit meat - no
    limit dairy - no (unless you are intolerant of diary)
    cut out saturated fats - no (hell no)
    eat good fats - yes (best fat is saturated fat - worst is man made trans fats and limit your polyunsaturated fats)

Apart from those amendments, what she said.

• E_Ashton
    Options

any reason for that?

• E_Ashton
    Options
    A person who doesn't eat meat or at least limits it tends to have a lower BMI and also meats and dairy products don't do much for the body except clog up arteries! Nothing wrong with carbs as long as you calorie count! :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm frankly suspicious of any extreme cutting back of a major nutrient group, barring pertinent medical diagnoses, of course.

You need to seriously consider the fact one of your favorite staple foods would be so restricted. Diverting too far from your own personal eating preferences will lead to an unsustainable situation.

Don't believe the hype about gimmicks that may or may not work for other people. Look to your own tastes and fitness goals when planning your food choices.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    A person who doesn't eat meat or at least limits it tends to have a lower BMI and also meats and dairy products don't do much for the body except clog up arteries! Nothing wrong with carbs as long as you calorie count! :)

no.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Wrong.

Besides that BMI is an antiquated system that means nothing.