PIzza

Options

Replies

• hanzibobs931
    hanzibobs931 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    Do you have a Papa Murphy's? I love their pizza, the thin crust ones are delicious, and most of those come out around 250 calories/slice. I find I can fit that in easily even at a lower calorie intake, and if I'm at a moderate deficit I can fit two or three pieces (depending on toppings) in along with a big salad. It's tasty, it's real pizza -- I would hang myself rather than try a cauliflower "crust" -- and I get enough of it to be very satisfactory.

im in the UK do we have them here I have never seen one :smiley:
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made a pizza using a plain pizza base from sainsbury, pizza sauce (also sainsburys) then measured out the cheese mushrooms etc.
    I cut in half shared it with my little boy. 3 slices were yummy enough to fill me up and came in at less than 500 calories :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Try flat out bread for crust and make it yourself. You can put anything on it. I usually just pile on the veggies.

Papa Murphy's is great. We get the delite (thin crust) too. Hubby likes the veggie now too. He eats most of it, but I have a couple slices and fit it in my calories.
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love pizza. I can sit and eat a whole pizza without even thinking about it. I have a hard time controlling it. Especially if I'm upset or in a mood.

My solution has been to make my own substitute pizzas that are smaller. I've tried making my own crust and using the pita breads and naan breads and what not. I've come to two recipes that work for me.

1. 1 Flat bread (I use Flatout Light Original), bake it for a few minutes at 350 till it's crispy like a thin crust pizza. 60grams of Barilla All Natural Marinara Sauce spread over the crust. 1.4 oz portobello cup chopped. About .3oz baby spinach chopped. 2grams fresh basil chopped. 1 oz Mozzarella cheese. Put it back in the oven till the cheese is melted and then slice.

Comes out to about 220 calories for the whole thing and it seems to satisfy my pizza craving and still fill me up.

2. I take a large porobello cap, remove the stem and scrape out the gills. Fill it with spinach, diced onions, sauce, mozzarella and parmesan, and basil. Bake for about 30 minutes. I really like mushrooms, so this really wouldn't work for someone who doesn't.

Sometimes I add on some Meatless Soy Crumbles or a little Chorizo.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ajaycold wrote: »
    I was on Facebook and ran into a "cauliflower crust pizza!" I want to try it.
    Maybe you could do that...?

WHU???? grossness!
    OP, eat regular pizza make it fit!
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    Jagerin wrote: »
    I love pizza. I can sit and eat a whole pizza without even thinking about it. I have a hard time controlling it. Especially if I'm upset or in a mood.

My solution has been to make my own substitute pizzas that are smaller. I've tried making my own crust and using the pita breads and naan breads and what not. I've come to two recipes that work for me.

1. 1 Flat bread (I use Flatout Light Original), bake it for a few minutes at 350 till it's crispy like a thin crust pizza. 60grams of Barilla All Natural Marinara Sauce spread over the crust. 1.4 oz portobello cup chopped. About .3oz baby spinach chopped. 2grams fresh basil chopped. 1 oz Mozzarella cheese. Put it back in the oven till the cheese is melted and then slice.

Comes out to about 220 calories for the whole thing and it seems to satisfy my pizza craving and still fill me up.

2. I take a large porobello cap, remove the stem and scrape out the gills. Fill it with spinach, diced onions, sauce, mozzarella and parmesan, and basil. Bake for about 30 minutes. I really like mushrooms, so this really wouldn't work for someone who doesn't.

Sometimes I add on some Meatless Soy Crumbles or a little Chorizo.

That's what I like. we just both really like pizza and its so high in cals I will try both of those, I think it would stop me wanting pizza :P
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    @hanzibobs931 There are no Papa Murphy's in the UK, but I'd bet you have something similar. Search around for "take and bake" pizza places, or whatever your local vernacular for the same idea would be. :)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I have started to lose weight however me and my partner love pizza. I am missing pizza but I cant justify the calorie intake.

I have hip and knee problems so exercise is difficult and not always possible.

has anyone got any ideas for healthy pizza that me and my partner could enjoy together. I don't think I can watch him eat pizza much more.

Thanks Guys

Ps we can both cook :)

You could easily fit one or two slices into your lunch or dinner. If you live in the US Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, & Little Caesar's all have nutritional info for a lot of their pizzas.

How many calories are you working with?

If you like a local pizzeria that doesn't have nutritional information you could always select the best option in the database & go with that.
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    I have started to lose weight however me and my partner love pizza. I am missing pizza but I cant justify the calorie intake.

I have hip and knee problems so exercise is difficult and not always possible.

has anyone got any ideas for healthy pizza that me and my partner could enjoy together. I don't think I can watch him eat pizza much more.

Thanks Guys

Ps we can both cook :)

You could easily fit one or two slices into your lunch or dinner. If you live in the US Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, & Little Caesar's all have nutritional info for a lot of their pizzas.

How many calories are you working with?

If you like a local pizzeria that doesn't have nutritional information you could always select the best option in the database & go with that.

1200 cals a day

its more that I can eat a whole pizza without noticing. I am somewhat of a pizza addict I will try to make my own and control the cals that way but I will try to have just a couple of takeaway pizza slices when I am used to the low cal alternative :)
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't begrudge my husband pizza because I'm on an eating regimen. I just need to figure out how to fit it in. Try to get thin crust w/ no double cheese. Only put the slices you can fit in on your plate and put the rest up in the fridge. Substitute additional slices with some other non-caloric food such as a big side of veggies. You can eat pizza reasonably and lose weight!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you normally order pizza from - but pizza is doable even on reduced calories. Are there different crust options? Thin crust is less calories than regular hand tossed, for example. Go for regular (or light) cheese, lots of veggies, and keep meats reasonable. Have 1-2 slices, or aim for a smaller breakfast/lunch (protein + veggies + something wholegrain, to stay full for longer on less) and have 2-3.
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    I wouldn't begrudge my husband pizza because I'm on an eating regimen. I just need to figure out how to fit it in. Try to get thin crust w/ no double cheese. Only put the slices you can fit in on your plate and put the rest up in the fridge. Substitute additional slices with some other non-caloric food such as a big side of veggies. You can eat pizza reasonably and lose weight!

Loving eat pizza responsibly :P that has made my day :)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    You can always freeze what you don't need to eat at that sitting - have your containers or freezer bags ready to go and freeze it before you sit to eat so you don't have it in front of you tempting you.

I've had limited success with the cauliflower base -I use about 6 egg whites to a pound of grated or riced cauliflower and you have to whip the egg whites to stiff with a touch of cream of tartar then fold in cauliflower and herbs then spread it out about 1 inch thick on parchment to cook - it flattens as it cooks and can get almost breadlike - almost. Any thinner and it hasn't been so hot. I also flip it after it's cooked awhile and cook it some more before adding toppings. I also don't put any cheese in the crust so that I can have a little more on the top. Oh another note - I have a pizza cooking screen like they use in some restaurants and that helps with the cauliflower "sweating" once I have flipped it - I don't put the crust on the screen until I flip it over. It's ok for the days I have reached dinnertime with very limited calories.

There are also low carb pitas that could be a quick fix.

I mainly avoid restaurant pizza because now that I don't eat much processed food all I taste is salt LOL. A quality, healthy, lower calorie pizza is possible.
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    my partner would never go for this and I wont be able to sit and watch him and his freakishly fast metabolism eat a whole pizza. have you found a pizza base alternative that is nice :)

That makes no sense. Now you're just making excuses. What does he do, force feed you?
    MrM27 wrote: »
    my partner would never go for this and I wont be able to sit and watch him and his freakishly fast metabolism eat a whole pizza. have you found a pizza base alternative that is nice :)

That makes no sense. Now you're just making excuses. What does he do, force feed you?

what I was trying to say maybe poorly is that he wouldn't share his pizza with me he really never shares food im not sure why but there we go so I have come up with other solutions like making my own thin based pizza that is really small

ive looked online and you can freeze the dough so I can make lots and then construct it later.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza every Friday.

We make our own using a store made pizza dough. I put less cheese on than I used to and more veggies, but other than that, it's a normal pizza. I usually eat 2 slices and supplement with some veggies or fruit.

It's really all about what you do the rest of the day. I eat a normal breakfast, which for me is usually less than 350 calories. Then I go light for lunch, usually a salad with some grilled chicken. I leave ~1000 calories for the evening, which is plenty to have a couple of slices of pizza for dinner and then a small snack later on.

It's all about planning, choices, and balance. You can definitely eat pizza.
  • hanzibobs931
    Options
    my partner wont share food. he shares everything else. he don't like people touching his food. that's just what he is like but this is about pizza and not my relationship and weather or not you think its healthy every relationship is different and mine is amazing. everyone has funny traits I twitch when I fall asleep my partner wont share food don't mean we don't share
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I opened this up just because of the subject line <33333