McDonald's Run!

Options

Replies

• Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    How did you resist the fries? The salty yummy fries?
    You must have super-hero willpower.

why not just eat them and fit them into your day?

because for some people (myself included) mcdonald's isn't about eating until you're full, it's eating the entire combo you purchase then getting an irresistible craving for more high-calorie foods. high fat food is a huge trigger for me and if i'm not careful i will go on a day-long binge.

This exactly! I usually decide then "Well, I've already ruined today, might as well not care about the rest of the day." My own habits I have to break, I know.

Great Job OP! Shows that you're entirely dedicated!
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

because for some people (myself included) mcdonald's isn't about eating until you're full, it's eating the entire combo you purchase then getting an irresistible craving for more high-calorie foods. high fat food is a huge trigger for me and if i'm not careful i will go on a day-long binge.

Completely agree ... Even if we are all on the same boat in that we want to lose weight and be healthy, different foods trigger different cravings for people. For me food is my "drug of choice" - it's not a simple "I'm overweight because I haven't been following the CICO rule of thumb". I have to be careful that the foods I choose aren't foods that will lead me down a rabbit hole while at the same time allowing myself to indulge so I don't feel deprived and throw my hands up in the air and say "OH WHAT THE HELL!!! I can't live life like this!!!!". For a lot of people is a balancing act of staying within your caloric allowance and being self aware enough to say "this may not be the best choice for me at this time in my weight loss journey".
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    k2mexox wrote: »
    The problem is just because because the food might fit your caloric goals doesn't mean it is healthy for you by any means. Still loaded with bad fats , carbs , sugars etc. having it everyone once in a great while and making a healthier choice is the way to go if that's your choice and option.

Great job having self control!!

I had McDonalds yesterday for breakfast. I still had a great day macro and micro nutrient wise. Just because it's "fast food" does not make it unhealthy.

OP, if your choice is to abstain from such things, good for you! My approach is to allow for them when I get the urge, provided I have the fat/carb/sodium wiggle room I need to make my day work.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    laura3977 wrote: »

Completely agree ... Even if we are all on the same boat in that we want to lose weight and be healthy, different foods trigger different cravings for people. For me food is my "drug of choice" - it's not a simple "I'm overweight because I haven't been following the CICO rule of thumb". I have to be careful that the foods I choose aren't foods that will lead me down a rabbit hole while at the same time allowing myself to indulge so I don't feel deprived and throw my hands up in the air and say "OH WHAT THE HELL!!! I can't live life like this!!!!". For a lot of people is a balancing act of staying within your caloric allowance and being self aware enough to say "this may not be the best choice for me at this time in my weight loss journey".

actually, it is that simple.

eat less = lose weight

mcdonalds has nothing to do with it.

and conflating cravings with food choice is comparing apples and oranges
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

that is not McDonald's fault...

that is your own fault.

again you are conflating food choice with lack of will power/self control = apples and oranges
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just need to point out that you can have a healthy meal at McDonalds.... I hate all this bashing of probably my favourite fast food place. I have ordered the grilled snack wrap without sauce and thrown away the wrap and cheese (aka, just a hunk of grilled chicken at this point). Then I'll get a side garden salad with vinaigrette and tap water. Perfect. Also, a Happy Meal with apple slices and a yogurt is great too. Even the big salads can be ok if you leave off the nuts and croutons, remove half the cheese, and be very sparing with the salad dressing. The egg McMuffin is also fine if you ask them to not butter the english muffin and leave off the processed cheese slice.

I refuse to sit there and not eat anything while at McDonald's just because it's "bad" for me.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    The bad thing for arguing against CICO is that CICO has been and will always be a moving target. It changes (though usually slightly) as body composition changes and with hormones and other factors. CICO still works no matter the situation though, just in VERY rare special cases common calculators may not be as cut and dry for your body.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Your inability to moderate your intake through willpower does not make McDonald's unhealthy or a bad choice!

You can't blame the food. Food is just food.

• keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

that is your own fault.

again you are conflating food choice with lack of will power/self control = apples and oranges

Agreed......as the saying goes "don't hate the player, hate the game" it is to Lally not McDonald's fault for making money on people's bad eating choices!
  • keola64
    Options
    I just did a McDonald's run for my coworkers and didn't get anything for myself!!! :) Go me!

yE$ will power in action! Well done.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why people need to torture them selves. i would have had the fries and the pie as long as i maintain my cico i can eat what i want.

SO MUCH THIS... except I would have the double QP and large fries.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I only like 3 things from McDonalds: the plain hamburger, french fries if they are fresh and hot, and a plain ice cream sundae with no topping. Oh wait, 4 - their coffee is usually decent. I can get a kids hamburger happy meal and be satisfied with that....in fact, I want one now! Thank goodness I am without a car! LOL
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

that is your own fault.

^^^ This

Lest it gets missed in whatever mess this thread is turning into...

It's pretty simple, you choose to be successful, or a failure.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Since they stopped using beef tallow the fries are just bland to me but they might be better in the US than here. :neutral_face:
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nobody here blamed mcdonalds. People on this thread are fully admitting their OWN flaws and problems when it comes to saying "no" to certain foods. Just because you find it easy to fit a mcdonalds into your day doesn't mean everyone else will also find it easy.

I'm actually one of those people who can have a small meal at mcdonalds, fit it into my cals, enjoy the hell out of it, not feel guilty, and not crave more and more.
    But I'm also not going to rub it in someone's face and say "you can have mcdonalds just fit it in" because I know all humans are wired differently, and some people can't say no once they've started.

Congratulations to the OP, if you once found it hard to moderate your intake of fast food and now choose to omit it completely then you're doing a great job!
    Shame on the people who can't seem to understand ways different to their own.
  • keola64
    Options
    ELiCiT23 wrote: »
    Nice. I would've gotten an apple pie lol
    I Would HAVE gotten all of the apple puts lol
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why people need to torture them selves. i would have had the fries and the pie as long as i maintain my cico i can eat what i want.

Some people just don't like McDonald's. They aren't torturing themselves.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I thought you were going on a McDonalds run and offering us free food...too bad. I would have ordered 4 breakfast burritos because YUMMMM.
  • jmacok
    jmacok Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!! I keep reminding myself that that place is McDeaths for a reason. Makes it easier not to stop by there. Keep up the great work.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jmacok wrote: »
    Great Job!!! I keep reminding myself that that place is McDeaths for a reason. Makes it easier not to stop by there. Keep up the great work.

McDeath's? Really? Care to elaborate?

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!