Question Regarding Fruit

Options
2»

Replies

• Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, I read it just yesterday. I'll try to find the article and post the link.

http://sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm

Here is the quote from it-second paragraph, top:

NOTE: We are here showing the total sugar content of fruit. We are using the sugar cubes to illustrate that. Fruit probably has other health benefits that outweigh the sugar content, and the fruit in sugar may (or may not) be healthier than table sugar. But all fruits are not equal in sugar content, and it's worth noting that. A strawberry may, in fact, be healthier than a grape, even though they are both "natural."
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating too much fruit.

I did! Well I was already fat, but I tried to follow 30bananas a day and gained weight. Who kenw that eating 3000+ calories a day was a really, really bad idea? :s
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That's funny - because I dreamt about bananas last night!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Indigoblu1 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have to ask. Fruit appears to have sugar contents, and from what I've read (not extensively), they cannot prove whether it is "white sugar" sugar or another kind of sugar. Can fruit make you gain weight like, say eating candy and pasta and bread? Somebody told me once when I was eating grapes that they will make you fat(?!) This just can't be true. Can it? Thank you for you help.

All vegetables have sugar, but fruit tends to have more than most. Anything you eat in sufficient quantity can cause you to gain weight. But at the same time, you can eat anything in moderation and lose weight.

Not sure if you just worded that in a strange fashion, but fruit is not a vegetable.

You and my nephew would agree on that, but a vegetable is any plant that is used for food. Fruit is the part of a plant that contains the seeds. So a fruit is a vegetable, but not all vegetables are fruit. And that is why I worded it the way I did, because I wanted to lump them together to say that all plants we eat for food have sugar in them, but we usually get most of the sugar from the fruit.
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can tell you first hand that too much sugar does affect you. At least on me.

I've been eating at a calorie deficit ever since Christmas, non-stop. However, I haven't cut sugars and I eat 25-100% more than I am allowed most days.

I have not had a day where I don't count my calories, so you would think I would have lost 10 lbs by now- NOPE! More like 4 lbs and I keep yo-yoing between 2-3 lbs. Sure, I was sticking to my calorie allowance, but going overboard on sweets and carbs gets you nowhere.

I need to throw out all those sweets we collected over the holidays. Doesn't help that Valentine's Day is around the corner!

Now, that's refined sugars. If I ate more fruit, I would be able to give you a better picture, but be sure that you check your nutrition and avoid the carbs and sugars as best as you can.

When I didn't eat much of that bad stuff, I was dropping pounds like a mad man!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have to ask. Fruit appears to have sugar contents, and from what I've read (not extensively), they cannot prove whether it is "white sugar" sugar or another kind of sugar. Can fruit make you gain weight like, say eating candy and pasta and bread? Somebody told me once when I was eating grapes that they will make you fat(?!) This just can't be true. Can it? Thank you for you help.

If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight. Doesn't matter if the calories are from fruit, broccoli, chicken or chocolate cake.
    Fruit and vegetables naturally have sugar- some more than others. They are not bad for you just because they have sugar. If you need to reduce sugar intake you can look up fruits and vegetables to see which are lowest but for just weight loss it isn't a big deal to eat whatever you like as long as the calories fit your day.
  • romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The problem is a lot of people think that because fruit is healthy, they can eat as much of it as they want (I know I used to!!). As everyone mentioned above, it does still come down to moderation and eating your calories at a deficit.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

All vegetables have sugar, but fruit tends to have more than most. Anything you eat in sufficient quantity can cause you to gain weight. But at the same time, you can eat anything in moderation and lose weight.

Not sure if you just worded that in a strange fashion, but fruit is not a vegetable.

You and my nephew would agree on that, but a vegetable is any plant that is used for food. Fruit is the part of a plant that contains the seeds. So a fruit is a vegetable, but not all vegetables are fruit. And that is why I worded it the way I did, because I wanted to lump them together to say that all plants we eat for food have sugar in them, but we usually get most of the sugar from the fruit.

Actually vegetables and fruits do have differences. Botanically (which is where I think you were trying to go with the definition) a fruit is specifically from a flowering plant, more specifically the "ovary" of the plant (hence it having seeds).