sweet potato

Options
13»

Replies

• Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Before I stopped being able to eat apples, my favorite thing was to cube 2 medium sweet potatoes, mix with 2 sliced apples, top with a handful of walnut pieces (maybe half a cup) and a handful of raisins or dried cranberries. Sprinkle with pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.) Add a splash of water. Bake covered at 375F for about 20 minutes until the potatoes start to soften, open and bake another 10 minutes or so until the top is browned. It takes some practice to figure out the relative size of the sweet potato and apple pieces so that they bake in about the same time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like them baked, roasted (difference being whether it's whole and I season after, or peeled, chunked and I season before) or as baked curly fries using my spiralizer.

I also add them to every stew I make.
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Make healthy chips:
    Peel, slice into thin slices. Soak in cold water for an hour or so, drain, rinse and pat dry. Toss with just a little of your favorite oil and generous amounts of sea salt. Place in a dehydrator at 125 degrees until desired crispness. These can be done on racks on a baking sheet in the oven with the temp set as low as it will go and the oven door slightly ajar.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    badbradley wrote: »
    Make healthy chips:

I read this somewhere well, forgot all about it. The one great thing about sweet potatoes is that they really don't need to be cooked to the same extent as other potatoes do.
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like to slice them fairly then and sprinkle with a little sea salt and a lot of cumin, then bake in the oven. Or microwave like a quick baked potato and top with a little butter, cinnamon and crumbled bacon. A woman at the grocery store said she adds cubed sweet potatoes to her breakfast tacos -- I'll have to try that.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy food, bake the potato without piercing the skin - when done they shrink on the inside away from the skin and are kind of caramelized without adding any sugars. Then, split the potato open and top with some diced fresh jalapeno or serrano peppers and a couple tablespoons of fat free greek yogurt. To add more protein and make it a meal, I also add a lightly poached egg on top (add extra egg whites to increase the protein). The yolk running through is incredible. You might need a dash of salt to taste.

It's absolutely my favorite way to have a sweet potato.

I like this idea. I can't stand sweet potatoes when they're made to be even sweeter than they are naturally and this sounds perfect.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Cut and drizzle with olive oil, salt and paprika then bake until browned.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I like cubing them then tossing with olive oil, cinnamon, clove, and a little bit of cayanne, and of course salt and pepper. Then roast in the oven. Super tasty.

Mmm... saving this one.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is just baked, don't even use butter on it. 2nd is oven fries (slice like fries, either toss w/ a little olive oil, s&p, or just spray the baking sheet w/ pam, then spray the fries) bake for 20-30 minutes. Or scrub, cube, toss w/ olive oil, cinnamon & other "sweet" spices & bake like the fries.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is my family favourite roasted with a bit of maple syrup and olive oil. I interchange sweet potato with cubed butternut squash.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845484948/
  • thekillingmoon777
    Options
    If you have a particularly big sweet potato you can slice it so its a big round thing and use it as a burger bun! Not tried it yet but healthier than bread :)
  • Islandgirl52
    Islandgirl52 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Peel sweet potatoes and cut into bite size pieces. Toss lightly with oil and then add chili powder, spread out on cookie sheet, covered with parchment paper and roast. The chili powder does not make it hot and spicy, but sweet......
  • marquel622
    marquel622 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wash the outside and grill them at med heat for 1 hr - 1.5 hr depending on size. I like them to be really soft so that the natural sugars come out. As longs as they cook up like that I peel the skin off and eat them as is. Or lately I have been cutting them into 1 inch cubes, skin on and washed, I grate frozen butter over the top, maybe about 1 tablespoon and sprinkle with cinnamon. I bake at 375 for 1 hr. The outsides get crisp and the insides get mushy and because I don't put a lot of butter, oil etc they are low in calories.
  • marquel622
    marquel622 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Really good baked. I just sprinkle on a little cinnamon.
    I wrap it in foil also. Make sure you have something under the potato (I make a little aluminum foil tray. The sugar seeps out and can make a huge mess in the oven.
    agree - this is also why I do them on my grill because the mess just drips down into the flames and burns off.

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Bake it and slap some almond butter on it
    9dRenmU.jpg
  • sdsimancas
    Options
    If you have extra time, these "Addictive Sweet Potato" burritos with black beans are delicious and healthy. Be sure to read the top-rated reviews, there are a few good pointers there to adjust the recipe.

Since the recipe makes so many, they can also be frozen a quick meal another day.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    If you like spicy food, bake the potato without piercing the skin - when done they shrink on the inside away from the skin and are kind of caramelized without adding any sugars. Then, split the potato open and top with some diced fresh jalapeno or serrano peppers and a couple tablespoons of fat free greek yogurt. To add more protein and make it a meal, I also add a lightly poached egg on top (add extra egg whites to increase the protein). The yolk running through is incredible. You might need a dash of salt to taste.

It's absolutely my favorite way to have a sweet potato.

I like this idea. I can't stand sweet potatoes when they're made to be even sweeter than they are naturally and this sounds perfect.

Tried this tonight. Sort of, used Aleppo pepper instead of chiles and skipped the Greek yogurt. It was really good. Thanks for the higher protein alternative to butter for sweet potatoes. Will definitely do again.
  • into_fitness
    into_fitness Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I also add a lightly poached egg on top (add extra egg whites to increase the protein). The yolk running through is incredible. You might need a dash of salt to taste.

oooh ok wow that sounds amazing!! definitely going to try!
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Peel them (or don't), cut into wedges, toss with a little olive oil, dry mustard powder, rosemary, garlic powder & salt. Bake at 400, 7 minutes, flip them, and 7 minutes on the other side. You have DELICIOUS sweet potato fries.
  • Ice_Arrows
    Ice_Arrows Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like to mash them with a little pepper, garlic and dried parsley