Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Will32283 wrote: »
    Why do certain users have to get so feisty on these boards? If you aren't interested in paleo or helping the OP why even bother wasting your time posting on this thread? It can be so frustrating wading though so much BS to read actual helpful posts.

Because paleo isn't help?

That's wrong man. Paleo is huge - it's definitely worth it - you can't "sugarcoat" it's effectiveness - and for those with diabetes, an excellent diet. Paleo is about eating fresh whole natural food. Oh yeah, I guess that's something that works against the standard Western diet that most of ya (not Paleos or sane people) would eat. Continue down your processed food trail man, the doctors will be glad to take on your conditions and take your money too.

Hi Ted! See my profile pic? 105lbs gone without restricting myself. I ate what I wanted and when I wanted without someone telling me that processed food was bad for me like you just did. I ate what people like you call 'junk'. Fast food, chips, processed food, Ice cream, cake, all the food that you hate played a part in my nutrition. I will stick to what helped me. Thanks!

Check your visceral fat levels by getting blood work done. Over the long term, you will find yourself at the doctor's office with issues and that's guaranteed. You might get the initial burn of a deficit-based system, but over the long haul, it doesn't work.

Wanna know what yo-yo dieting occurs?

Oh, so you are a mystic? Can you tell my fortune please since you are diagnosing and predicting over the Internet you must be amazing!

ETA OP if you are interested in Paleo by all means try it and if it works it's worth it. If not then you will always find other options as there are many paths to weight loss and maintenance of that loss. I wish you the best.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Why do certain users have to get so feisty on these boards? If you aren't interested in paleo or helping the OP why even bother wasting your time posting on this thread? It can be so frustrating wading though so much BS to read actual helpful posts.

That's wrong man. Paleo is huge - it's definitely worth it - you can't "sugarcoat" it's effectiveness - and for those with diabetes, an excellent diet. Paleo is about eating fresh whole natural food. Oh yeah, I guess that's something that works against the standard Western diet that most of ya (not Paleos or sane people) would eat. Continue down your processed food trail man, the doctors will be glad to take on your conditions and take your money too.
    The only power any type of diet has is the power you give it. The only thing required to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit, but which type of diet you choose comes down to personal preference only.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey! I hope you have been at the very least entertained by all of the back and forth on your post. I know that it can be tricky having all of the different opinions out there, but all that matters is yours in this case.
    I have personally been doing whole 30 this month. Do I think it's the only way for everyone to eat? No - absolutely not. But if you think it's worth a try, give it a try. I absolutely love NomNomPaleo.com. I will say that I cook about 1000% more than I did before, but I do feel better.
    Now, the reason I started following a "paleo" diet is because I have trouble controlling myself when I have flour processed carb products in the house. They are particularly bad trigger foods along with most dairy. As far as legumes go, they just make me bloated and I don't really eat them anyway.
    Some people love weight watchers, but I hate it. Some people can totally have a bagel or pasta with a little meat in it. But when I eat that stuff, its like I can't stop thinking about eating. I will say that with my experience, "eating to live, not living to eat" has become a lot easier with paleo.
    So that's my experience with it. I am losing weight only because I am eating at a deficit, but eating at a deficit doesn't feel like a constant battle all the time. And paleo isn't about perfection. Just do your best and give it at least a month to see if it works. (The first 2-3 weeks might suck, but you'll be ok after that)
    Good luck, and feel free to friend me!
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If it has a label, that is your 1st clue.

This!

By the way, I just tried my first avocado-berry smoothie today. OP, give it a whirl. A cup of coconut milk, 3 ounces of avocado, and 5 berries. Mind. Blown. You cannot taste the avocado and the consistency is that of a milkshake. Good luck to you!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »

This!

By the way, I just tried my first avocado-berry smoothie today. OP, give it a whirl. A cup of coconut milk, 3 ounces of avocado, and 5 berries. Mind. Blown. You cannot taste the avocado and the consistency is that of a milkshake. Good luck to you!

That actually sounds good.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Dairy, grains and especially legumes are commonalities of the longest living and healthiest populations in the world. The Blue Zone populations eat the opposite of paleo, but they are too busy being healthy to care.
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    à chacun son goût--as long as you're logging the calories. ;)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No one believes that the current versions of the paleo diet are meant to reflect perfectly what was eaten thousand's of years ago, it is however, a template or concept to base a diet around.

Because its a template or concept it can be tweaked to suit, so what if someone has a bagel occasionally. There are no absolutes.

I like the primal blueprint concepts in general, am I following it now, no. Will I in the future..very likely. I do currently restrict grains due to acid reflux issue and other gut as well bowel issues. Feel much better for it.

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The Blue Zone is fascinating but I think you will find these people live a very simple life with lots of fish, vegetables, nuts, legumes, very little meat and certainly no processed food. In areas where fast food has been introduced, obesity and illnesses are starting to immerge.

Well worth reading about them as it is an extremely interesting study.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    if it is going to be so hard then why do it?

Paleo is totally unnecessary for any weight loss or health related goal....

you can eat the "restricted foods" lose weight and have great overall health..

Oh as an FYI - Palee is NOTHING like how real paleolithic people ate....

I've already had 2 surgeries related to celiac disease so you don't know what you are saying. Wheat is not good for 75% of the population because the human body has not adapted to eating GMO foods. Many people are lactose intolerant. [/quote]

Just no. I'm actually allergic to wheat, however would NEVER reccomend someone who isn't diagnosed with a reason not to eat it- abstain from it. If eating it didn't put me in the ICU for a week, I'd have a non-gf bagel every morning.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    The Blue Zone is fascinating but I think you will find these people live a very simple life with lots of fish, vegetables, nuts, legumes, very little meat and certainly no processed food. In areas where fast food has been introduced, obesity and illnesses are starting to immerge.

Well worth reading about them as it is an extremely interesting study.

I am sure this cake is not processed and was hunted and gathered
    AL-oldest111-1106e.jpg
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »

This!

Yummy, I have an avocado so I am going to give this a go. I have no berries so I will have to try mango instead and because the people in the Blue Zones live to be 100 eating a lot of nuts, I might throw some of them in as well.

Went to a restaurant last night with my work mates and had fish & a yummy garden salad. Blue Zone people drink red wine which I really don't like but I enjoyed my brandy on the rocks. 100 years of age here I come.

I agree jvt63, a label is your 1st clue. Eat as close as you can, in our modern world, to nature and you will notice the difference in no time.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Eric, the old woman is delightful. Once you reach 116, as far as I am concerned, you can darn well eat all the cake you want and wash it down with a whiskey if you want to. :D
  • LeenaGee
    edited January 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Just no. I'm actually allergic to wheat, however would NEVER reccomend someone who isn't diagnosed with a reason not to eat it- abstain from it. If eating it didn't put me in the ICU for a week, I'd have a non-gf bagel every morning.

I think you will find that a lot of people like myself have a problem with wheat and that is what has led them to Paleo in the first place. I have never liked processed foods and so Paleo recipes are perfect for me and my family.
  • EllyKann
    EllyKann Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    While I've really enjoyed all of the back and forth I don't really think it's helpful for what I want to do (and maybe what some of the supporting posters want). My goal is to eat more whole foods, count calories and lose weight. I'm not looking to follow a fade diet but I found that through research and just common sense the general outline of the paleo diet is more likely than not GOOD.

Call it paleo, call it a diet fad. I'm just going to call it a step in the right direction for someone who had little direction at all.

Really loving all the feedback from people who are just starting out or halfway there!

I've completely cut out grains and dairy. If you don't have a spiralizer for veggies I suggest you go buy one today! Best gadget ever.

• EllyKann
    Options
    I've been doing it since early August and I LOVE it! It's the only diet I've had significant success on and believe I can stick to as a lifestyle. The first six weeks I was pretty strict about it but I am fairly moderate about most things now. I have some cheese on occasion and drink adult beverages (I try to limit those to social occasions). I've practically eliminated sugar which is high calorie with no nutritional value at all. I never considered myself someone with an especially big sweet tooth but sugar is in so many processed foods that aren't even sweet (spaghetti sauce for example) that I think I was eating a lot more of it than I realized. You may find yourself in a bit of a brain fog for a couple of weeks after cutting it out of your diet as you will basically be detoxing from it. There was awhile there where if someone asked me my name I would have had to get back to them. It was bad but it passed.

I have lost about 25 lbs and have about 10 to go. I'm starting up at the gym again after a long hiatus and now I feel like my workouts and diet are working in conjunction with each other whereas before I felt like I was "fighting" my diet by working out.

There are a lot of overly literal, pedantic people but for me it's about the "spirit" of the diet if that makes sense. Eat naturally and get the most nutrition for your caloric dollar. It's amazing how easy it becomes when your body is getting its nutritional needs met.

Mark Sisson of marksdailyapple uses the phrase "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". You don't have to be perfect and it shouldn't make you miserable. I lost my weight just being good, which means its maintainable for me.

Sorry this was so long. I just get excited about it and want to encourage anyone who feels like they want to at least give it a try. It's made me so much happier and comfortable in my own skin. Good luck!

Yes! This was an awesome post! Thank you!
  • EllyKann
    Options

I agree. I was shocked when I had so many notifications and found that some posts weren't helping the cause. Obviously what works for one person may not work for another but I have to try this to find out.

I did say "all advice welcome" so I think I welcomed criticism too.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,958 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    I've already had 2 surgeries related to celiac disease so you don't know what you are saying. Wheat is not good for 75% of the population because the human body has not adapted to eating GMO foods. Many people are lactose intolerant.
    LOL whaaaa?

Do you have anything to back those claims?
    Not to mention there is no GMO wheat, anywhere in the world.......I love people with tinfoil hats......... my morning chuckle, thanks.

• EllyKann
    Options
    rpnjenn wrote: »
    Good luck on the new adventure of Paleo. It is hard but worth it. Be sure to try and have pre-made snacks to grab for those hunger pangs. Veggies, fruit, pre- bake baked goods on weekend that can go in freezer and for quick grabs on early mornings. :)

Agreed. Don't listen to the "opposition" on this one - this week, I am removing legumes from my diet and the only thing left would be supplementation for intense workouts. That's it. Otherwise, I have been doing Paleo for some time now. Lost 50#s.

Don't listen to the peeps about "eating at a deficit." That's called deprivation - starvation. Paleo is about eating all natural foods - to the point that you would naturally feel full. That's because natural foods contain either enough fiber or protein to do that. Calories are secondary.

Just pick natural, whole foods. Substitute frozen berries for fresh and make smoothies. Cheaper way to get the fruit. Bananas are great pre and post-workout foods. Veggies are in abundance, frozen or otherwise. Fresh meats as well - just find grass-fed beef and good ole wild salmon.

You will not regret the move. As the poster and other sane posters said above me - it's well worth it.

Right pro-refined processed food bots?

Thanks for the post. I think after I've cut out the major culprits I will look into grass feed and more organic foods. For now I just need to make due with what I already have...frozen chicken anyone?

I am excited to hear about your success! Great job and thanks for the post.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    EllyKann wrote: »
    While I've really enjoyed all of the back and forth I don't really think it's helpful for what I want to do (and maybe what some of the supporting posters want). My goal is to eat more whole foods, count calories and lose weight. I'm not looking to follow a fade diet but I found that through research and just common sense the general outline of the paleo diet is more likely than not GOOD.

Call it paleo, call it a diet fad. I'm just going to call it a step in the right direction for someone who had little direction at all.

Really loving all the feedback from people who are just starting out or halfway there!

I've completely cut out grains and dairy. If you don't have a spiralizer for veggies I suggest you go buy one today! Best gadget ever.

doesn't want a fad diet but is doing paleo …oh the irony…

and you can accomplish all your "goals" without restricting entire food groups …

but good luck self torturing yourself into a calorie deficit…