Sugars & carbs from fruit

Options
Hi all!
So yes, I know sugar is bad as is a diet which is too high in carbs, but how bad is the sugar from fruit exactly? I eat a lot of fruit a) because I enjoy it and b) I think it's good for me. Am I wrong here? Should I be cutting DOWN on fruit?

Replies

• Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    No. Track your sugar by all means but don't compromise on foods high in fibre like fruit and veg.
  • fleurk126
    fleurk126 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So why does my fruit intake always make me go over my MFP sugar allowance?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar goal is really low when you consider the sugars that come from fruit. I could have a cup of grapes and a cup and a half of blueberries and be at least 10g over my sugar goal before counting in sugar from veggies and other fruits/sweets.

Sugar that occurs naturally, such as in milk, fruits, and vegetables, are seen as the "lesser evil" of the two sugars (the USDA is planning on changing the nutrition facts panel in order to differentiate between natural and added sugars). The foods that contain a ton of natural sugars also contain a ton of vitamins and fiber that help promote general health and satiety, while foods that contain a ton of added sugars (think of an apple versus a coke) typically contain a ton of empty calories with no nutritional value. Personally, I ignore MFP's sugar recommendation and follow the World Health Organization's recommendation to eat less than 10% of my total calories from added sugar.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    fleurk126 wrote: »
    Hi all!
    So yes, I know sugar is bad as is a diet which is too high in carbs

You will not move forward with your goals until you get over this idea...

• fleurk126
    fleurk126 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks abatonfan! Appreciate the reassurance!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    fleurk126 wrote: »
    So why does my fruit intake always make me go over my MFP sugar allowance?
    Because grant money is pretty much not available for research that simply reports we eat too much, so sugar is pretty much a guarantee that they'll get a pay check. Repeat, fruit will make you fat.

• HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't think you get fat by eating a couple pieces of fruit a day. I think most people underestimate the sugar they eat when they eat fruit. I know someone who probably eats about 5 cups of fruit a day, they are over weight. A 2 quart container of fruit for breakfast. It is just too much sugar for your body to process.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes, then you should watch your fruit intake. Yes it has sugar, but it's also good for you. No one ever got fat from eating fruit.
  • abatonfan
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes, then you should watch your fruit intake. Yes it has sugar, but it's also good for you. No one ever got fat from eating fruit.

I did. Yes, it's a lot harder to create a calorie surplus from eating fruit, but it is possible. I would typically eat a 3-cup bowl of grapes (300 calories) as a snack and would then go grab some potato chips, because I was still hungry. I got fat, because I ate more calories than what my body burned per day. Any food that causes a person to eat above their maintenance calories, whether from an apple or a Big Mac, will cause that person to gain weight.

Sugar is not the devil. Even diabetics don't exclusively need to monitor their sugar intake but instead have to monitor their carbohydrate intake. All carbs consumed -excluding fiber and sugar alcohols- are broken down into glucose and can cause blood sugar "spikes". It's not just sugar that spikes blood glucose levels.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »

I did. Yes, it's a lot harder to create a calorie surplus from eating fruit, but it is possible. I would typically eat a 3-cup bowl of grapes (300 calories) as a snack
    I typically eat 400-500 calories of fruit per day. Try putting a banana in the mix instead of all grapes. They are quite filling. Nobody regularly eats 3 bananas at a sitting.
    and would then go grab some potato chips, because I was still hungry.
    I think we found the real problem. Potato chips are notorious for making you crave more, not satisfying your hunger. It's trivially easy to wolf down a 6 oz bag and find yourself 840 calories in the hole.
    I got fat, because I ate more calories than what my body burned per day. Any food that causes a person to eat above their maintenance calories, whether from an apple or a Big Mac, will cause that person to gain weight.
    Technically it's not any one food, it's all the food you eat together. Consuming calorie dense foods that leave you wanting more and don't fill you up make it very difficult to stick to the calorie deficit you need to lose weight. That's why most diet advice will first and foremost recommend you ditch or severely limit those foods: (chips, shakes & smoothies, cookies & cakes, restaurant portions)
    Sugar is not the devil. Even diabetics don't exclusively need to monitor their sugar intake but instead have to monitor their carbohydrate intake. All carbs consumed -excluding fiber and sugar alcohols- are broken down into glucose and can cause blood sugar "spikes". It's not just sugar that spikes blood glucose levels.
    Quite true.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

So it was the fruit you say...

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Ironic post is ironic.

Sugar isn't bad, OP. Overconsumption of sugar (and all foods) is bad.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar is sugar. Your body does not know the difference.

I will gain weight if I eat more than one serving of fruit a day. Healthy people with normal metabolisms do not need to be that strict.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I never tracked sugar and would regularly eat half to entire pints of ice cream before bed, commonly exceeding my sugar goal by hilarious amounts and lost 53 lbs and reduced my body fat from 35%+ to 17%. So, no...sugar will not stop weight loss.

Calorie surplus, that will stop weight loss..

I think it's important to find balance in your diet but unless you have a medical condition, ignore sugar. Especially if it's fruit. Come on. Vitamins, minerals and fiber isn't evil, right?

No foods are good or bad. It's how these foods fit into our diet that makes them that way.

As long as you're meeting your bodies nutrient needs, there's nothing inherently wrong with any foods. Make sure you're getting a good balance of protein, fat, fiber and micronutrients and don't worry about where sugar falls. Work on satiety and keeping a moderate deficit.

Don't sweat trivial things like sugar.
  • abatonfan
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

It is always the fruit. :trollface: (I really wanted to use the trollface in a post. Yay! I finally can!)

Personally, fruit doesn't have that much satiety for me, so I was either eating it in huge portions or needing to eat other stuff with it in order to feel full. In the end, I was at a calorie surplus and gained weight. I still eat fruit now, but I typically eat less of it (hate to see how badly my blood sugar will spike after eating three cups of grapes alone) and pair it with fat and protein in order to feel full.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit isn't quite the same as sugar in a doughnut.

The fruit has fiber that is lacking in the doughnut.

The sugar in fruit is also at a lot lower calorie per ounce when compared to the doughnut.

A apple and a doughnut may be the same size/weight but the apple will be 65 calories and the doughnut could easily be over 200.

So I suggest you eat your fill on fruit without guilt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think you get fat by eating a couple pieces of fruit a day.

Agreed. I think you get fat by eating too many calories. Besides, I have lost weight eating a couple pieces of fruit a day (sometimes).
    I think most people underestimate the sugar they eat when they eat fruit.

Hunh? I think most people not on MFP don't think about the sugar they eat when they eat fruit. People on MFP who care (and thus track sugar) know. I know, but don't care.
    I know someone who probably eats about 5 cups of fruit a day, they are over weight.

I know someone who probably eats about 5 cups of fruit a day and is not overweight. Both people probably eat other things too, is my guess. Of course, 5 cups of fruit could be lots of calories, but whether that's excessive depends on what else the person eats and that person's calorie limit.
    A 2 quart container of fruit for breakfast. It is just too much sugar for your body to process.

Why?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't think you get fat by eating a couple pieces of fruit a day. I think most people underestimate the sugar they eat when they eat fruit. I know someone who probably eats about 5 cups of fruit a day, they are over weight. A 2 quart container of fruit for breakfast. It is just too much sugar for your body to process.

Well if your body didn't process it it wouldn't be stored as fat either, would it? ;)

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

*raises hand* I did. Eating roughly 3000 calories of bananas a day, only bananas. Stupid stupid me. If you put yourself in a calorie surplus, you gain weight, no matter the source.

OP, fruit is wonderful, make it fit into your calorie goal and enjoy it.