Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Drink Your Breakfast

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    What worked for me was eating a large variety of breakfast foods. Pancakes, French Toast, Eggs, Bacon, Cereals, Oatmeals with fruits, etc. If it's yummy, I eat it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I have a medium clementine (or 2 small ones) and a Trader Joe's dupe Simply Cashews, Almonds, and Chocolate Trek Mix (it's only 3 ingredients, so it's cheaper for me to just make it at home, plus the one I make is a little less calories.
  • kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    I often drink my breakfast - but not fruit smoothie as I don't eat fruit - I don't really like most of it. I make a kind of Frappuccino protein coffee drink. Works for me - and it usually takes me a while to drink it. Actually it is 10:57 and I am still drinking this mornings drink. It works for me.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I like meat in the morning. B)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Yes I shall drink my breakfast...

tumblr_m8wmtj5uqw1qzqwamo1_500.gif

PRMinx wrote: »

thats-what-she-said.jpg
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I can't have just a smoothie for breakfast. When it gets warmer (I hate cold things in the winter), I have a smoothie and something else. Only time I'll have a smoothie by itself is if I'm full but need a light meal to finish off my day.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member

thats-what-she-said.jpg
    BAHAHAHAH

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I drink my breakfast too...in the form of strong black coffee. :) Then I get hungry around 10 am so I have a Greek yogurt. Then I get hungry again around noon and have some kind of protein bar. By the time I'm ready for lunch I've had about 200 calories, 20 g protein, 25 g carbs, 8 g fat. No way I could use up 700 cals for a liquid breakfast and still lose weight. Glad it works for you, though.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

thats-what-she-said.jpg

*giggle*
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    I feel nausous if I eat a lot in the morning so I have a make a protein shake every day and it works for me. I use 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop of greenwise chocolate protein powder, 2 tablespoons of PB2 and 1/2 a banana.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    I also drink my breakfast. I make a smoothie and it takes me about an hour + to finish it. It has greek yogurt, berries, almond milk and a Crystal light energy packet. Since it takes me a while to consume it, I feel satisfied and don't tend to snack.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    To each their own.

I don't like to drink my calories. Sometimes I'll have a glass of milk and I do sweeten my coffee, but neither are an everyday thing for me. I certainly wouldn't feel satisfied with a completely liquid meal.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    edited January 2015
    psulemon wrote: »
    I rather eat food as drinks never keep me full for longer than 30 minutes.... besides fruits and veggies lose nutrients when you blend it. But I am glad it worked for you.

Do you have a source for that where I could learn more ...or even an idea of how much (percentage wise is lost)?

Is this true if you don't blend long/high enough to produce heat? Or if you consume directly after blending to avoid excess oxidation?
  • klbrowser
    klbrowser Posts: 61 Member
    I make smoothies occasionally, no more than once a week because they are high in sugar. My fave is one cup mango, one cup nonfat milk, a half cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt and a bit of Splenda for sweetening. My other go-to is one-fourth cup crushed almonds, one cup strawberries, one cup nonfat milk, one teaspoon of vanilla extract and a bit of Splenda. When I have one of these, I'll also have a veggie for "dessert" to provide solid food to chew.
  • NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    I've been drinking my breakfast for a while now.

3 cups Kale
    2 cups Spinach
    2 stalks Celery
    1 Carrot
    1 Tomato
    1 clove Garlic
    Half a Beet
    Handful of Parsley
    1 Tbls Ground Flax seeds
    1 Tbls Ground Chia seeds
    2 tsp Turmeric
    Lots of water

Throw it all in my Ninja and blend away. Eat an ounce of walnuts or almonds while I wait. Makes about 64 Oz of drink. I consider it one serving. :-)

Oh.. and yes it does taste like *kitten*... but I wasn't going for flavor.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    tedrickp wrote: »
    I rather eat food as drinks never keep me full for longer than 30 minutes.... besides fruits and veggies lose nutrients when you blend it. But I am glad it worked for you.

Do you have a source for that where I could learn more ...or even an idea of how much (percentage wise is lost)?

Is this true if you don't blend long/high enough to produce heat? Or if you consume directly after blending to avoid excess oxidation?

I'm curious too.

I know that you lose nutrients (like fiber) by juicing. But if you're just chopping whole fruits/veggies and dropping them into the blender, how does blending remove anything? Where do they go?
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    I used to eat, literally every day, pasta for breakfast. Aaaand I weighted 275. Now, every other day I drink a smoothie for breakfast (the other days I have 2 scrambled eggs and toast). That's the most drastic change I've made to my diet, and I've dropped 85 pounds since February.

Here's my smoothie:

1 cup skim milk
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    some ice cubes
    2 tablespoons of PB2 powdered peanutbutter

It's awesome and filling and under 300 calories. Boom!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    I definitely eat less during the day if I have a decent breakfast with some protein and not too many carbs.

My go-to breakfast is 3 strips turkey bacon (75 cal), one poached egg (70 cal), and if I'm still hungry, a Source yogurt or a handful of berries (40 cal): total 145 - 180.

The smoothie described here is not even remotely filling and has way too many calories for my goals. If I were to make one it would have a cup of almond milk (40), 1 source yogurt (35), 5 frozen strawberries (40), and a scoop of protein powder (120). Total 235. Yummy and sweet, but not as filling as my normal breakfast.
  • According to MFP my smoothie in the morning is 288 calories.

1 whole banana
    1 cup blueberries
    1 1/2 cup strawberries
    3 tbls lemon juice
    1/2 cup water.

This is a hugeeeee glass of smoothie, it fills me up, and allows me to get somewhere near my potassium level for the day (which I personally find really hard).

Sometimes I skip the smoothie and have Oats with a little flavoured honey, but for the most part I drink my breakfast.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    tedrickp wrote: »

I'm curious too.

I know that you lose nutrients (like fiber) by juicing. But if you're just chopping whole fruits/veggies and dropping them into the blender, how does blending remove anything? Where do they go?

I may have to redact my statement. I can't seem to find a solid sources that backs my claims. I suspect what I read in the past may have not been accurate.