building muscle whilst slimming down

Options
Hi there I'm new to all this but decided it was time I had in front of me what I really do eat .
I do as much weight training as I possibly can, being the father of a 8 month old little girl does restrict me to a degree but my wife is fantastic and lets me have my gym time. My goal is to build muscle and loose my little pot belly. I don't do that much CV work with regards to running, cycling, etc but instead 'superset' my weight sessions to really get my blood pumping.
I feel this is better for me personally as I have a low attention span, and it seems to be working.

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    A couple of basis physics rules come into play here.

1. Fat loss requires a calorie deficit
    2. Muscle mass gain requires a calorie surplus

Lifting while in a calorie deficit is done to maintain muscle mass and will add a touch of strength increase to those that have not lifted before by increasing muscle efficiency. aerobic workouts are done to burn calories and increase stamina and maintain fitness.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have a decent amount of lean muscle, at the moment, I just want to expose it. There is argument that calorie counting can be the wrong thing to do as you can become consumed (excuse the pun) with how much you are eating and not what your eating. You have to get your macro's correct to have positive effect. I am trying to consume around 40% Carbs, 40% protien,and 20% fat and it seems to be working... to a degree
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Exposing it is about fat loss. Fat loss is about calorie deficits and high intensity workouts.
    There is argument that calorie counting can be the wrong thing to do as you can become consumed (excuse the pun) with how much you are eating and not what your eating. You have to get your macro's correct to have positive effect.

This is wrong, or at the very least, VERY misleading.

You need a calorie deficit, period. Some people don't need to count cals to do that. Most do. Whether or not you become consumed is on you and it's not a function of calorie counting... so it's not the calorie counting that fails, it's the individual. And how much you eat is far more important than what you eat, assuming a reasonably balanced diet.

Don't overcomplicate it - start with the basics... a reasonable calorie intake, decent macros, and good workouts.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You are going to need to pick a good program also. Sounds like you are just making it up as you go. Good way to spin your wheels unless you have some experience in program design. Beginners can see results with almost anything they do but this will fade after a few months.

Eat at maintenance or below to reduce body fat. If you dont want to count calories thats fine but you still have to be in a deficit. The best way to do that is with actual math. You could guess or estimate but you might not be in a deficit, might be in too big of one or not meet your macros.

Some people seem to think counting calories is bad for some reason. Because they heard it on the internet one time but they think counting macros is fine. It is exactly the same thing.
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    Take a look at my diet if you have 5 minutes and could you tell me if I'm on the right track ?.
    At the moment I feel i'm eating good, if I eat less I just feel tired and weak in my weight sessions
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    I have a decent amount of lean muscle, at the moment, I just want to expose it. There is argument that calorie counting can be the wrong thing to do as you can become consumed (excuse the pun) with how much you are eating and not what your eating. You have to get your macro's correct to have positive effect. I am trying to consume around 40% Carbs, 40% protien,and 20% fat and it seems to be working... to a degree

Exposing the muscle will denote caloric deficit, so from a weight loss perspective, the only thing that really matters is calories. Your macro % mean nothing in regards to weightloss as those macro %s are the same (yes, the grams will be different, but that is not what you stated). If you maintain at 3000 calories, and eat 2000 calories, you will lose weight. If you eat 4000 calories, you gain weight on. Did not matter what the macro % split was for those calories. Macros come into play to coordinate your caloric intake to offer you enough protein, carbs, and fats WITHIN your caloric goal for optimal body composition (so that you maintain more muscle, lose more fat, have enough energy, keep hormones in check, etc...).
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    You are going to need to pick a good program also. Sounds like you are just making it up as you go. Good way to spin your wheels unless you have some experience in program design. Beginners can see results with almost anything they do but this will fade after a few months.

Eat at maintenance or below to reduce body fat. If you dont want to count calories thats fine but you still have to be in a deficit. The best way to do that is with actual math. You could guess or estimate but you might not be in a deficit, might be in too big of one or not meet your macros.

Some people seem to think counting calories is bad for some reason. Because they heard it on the internet one time but they think counting macros is fine. It is exactly the same thing.

So how do I work out what my calorie intake should be ?
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    Just to add, although it may seem I'm new to all this, I'm actually not. I was in the forces so never really looked into all this side of things. I am now however because I want to get it correct and loose the bit of fat I have.
    All help greatly appreciated
  • cajuntank
    Options

At your current intake of calories for past week or two, what has your weightloss averaged per week? And if no loss, was it the same or did it go up?

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Scooby Workshop: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. You'll figure out your BMR, TDEE and I'd suggest a 15% deficit. Figure out how active you are (including activity outside of just exercise) and that will give you the level to use. For example, I lift 3x40 minutes, play field hockey for a minimum of 2-1/2 hours and I walk the dog every day for 20-30 minutes and am generally active regularly - that puts me at the 5-7 hour per week level.
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

At your current intake of calories for past week or two, what has your weightloss averaged per week? And if no loss, was it the same or did it go up?
    it stayed exactly the same. 104Kg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Then you are eating at basically maintenance (less any water retention from lifting).

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    Scooby Workshop: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. You'll figure out your BMR, TDEE and I'd suggest a 15% deficit. Figure out how active you are (including activity outside of just exercise) and that will give you the level to use. For example, I lift 3x40 minutes, play field hockey for a minimum of 2-1/2 hours and I walk the dog every day for 20-30 minutes and am generally active regularly - that puts me at the 5-7 hour per week level.
    I've just be to that website.. Many thanks that's helped clear things up with regards to calorie intake

• ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle while in a calorie deficit, which is necessary to lose fat. Strength training and consuming sufficient protein will help retain muscle mass, so you don't lose muscle along with fat while maintaining a calorie deficit.

In terms of wanting to know how many calories to consume, you will need to figure out your BMR and calories burned from normal daily activity. If you eat more calories than you burn in a day, you will gain weight, less and you will lose weight. A pound of stored fat is equal to about 3500 calories, so a deficit of 3500 calories per week will result in a weight loss of one lb per week. This is a good calculator, in my opinion, for figuring out calorie requirements: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
  • cajuntank
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Then you are eating at basically maintenance (less any water retention from lifting).

Agree. You will need to drop your calories some to lose weight. How many calories will be up to you, but try to keep weightloss in the .5-1% bodyweight per week average range. I also notice that even though you don't eat at your protein goal, your goal setting is really high. 1g/lb of bodyweight is more than adequate, so you might want to tweak your goal settings to adjust. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Pelamblue
    Options

Agree. You will need to drop your calories some to lose weight. How many calories will be up to you, but try to keep weightloss in the .5-1% bodyweight per week average range. I also notice that even though you don't eat at your protein goal, your goal setting is really high. 1g/lb of bodyweight is more than adequate, so you might want to tweak your goal settings to adjust. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

I took your advise. It says I should be consuming 171g of protein, but then my fat intake shoots up to 30% ???
  • cajuntank
    Options

I took your advise. It says I should be consuming 171g of protein, but then my fat intake shoots up to 30% ???

These are not hard numbers by any means, these are just guidelines and if you feel you need to increase your protein a tad, that's fine. Just realize, that protein is the only macro your body does not have a reserve for (unless you want to count muscle as reserve, and who in their right mind would want to). And when you up protein, you take way from the others. So try to keep protein pretty consistent. You can play around with carbs and fat settings week by week on how you feel. Remember, it's overall calories that will dictate weightloss, not because you ate higher fat% this week (thus lowering carb%). Both are needed for different things. It might take you a few weeks to dial in better your tolerance for each to your body... (i.e...if you feel hungry all the time or you are having some hormonal issues, up your fat%. If you feel your workouts suffer due to low energy, up the carb%).
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can gain muscle (strength and mass) while you lose fat. You won’t be optimizing either one of these, but you can do both at the same time. The trick is to really work on your eating and make sure your macros support what you’re doing. That isn’t easy and is slightly different for each person.

In general, you need to lift heavy. I’d stop the super sets and focus on full-body workouts. Heavy, moderate to low reps (5), compound movements (squat, deadlift, rows/pull ups, bench press, overhead press). Get a good rest between sets and really push yourself to go as heavy as you can. Do this two to three times per week based on how well you recovery.

You need to eat well. Fuel and building materials. So, get enough fat and carbs to stay energized throughout your lifting sessions. And make sure you’re getting enough protein to build muscle. You can tweak this to a point where your total calorie intake is at a deficit (I target 200 - 300 calories below when I’m tracking). You may also want to look at the timing of your meals (again thinking of food as a fuel) to maximize your energy during workouts.

If you want to incorporate any cardio on the off days, I’d just do some walking or light biking. This won’t be catabolic (muscle damaging) and will let you burn a little fat (especially if done in a fasted state, like after you wake and before you eat breakfast). If you find your fat loss plateau, you can mix in a HIIT session now and then to spike your metabolism, but don’t go whole hog or you’ll start compromising muscle gains.

Beyond that, drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep.

The heavy lifting should help you increase your testosterone, which will put you in an anabolic state (building muscle mass/strength). Because you have adequate protein and you’re getting good rest, the stimulus will add muscle. The slight deficit in calories will force your body to release fat stores to make up the difference. Despite what people tell you, your body wants to use fat first and only goes to muscle when the deficit is too high (starving mode).

Enjoy!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Yes, you can gain muscle (strength and mass) while you lose fat. You won’t be optimizing either one of these, but you can do both at the same time. The trick is to really work on your eating and make sure your macros support what you’re doing. That isn’t easy and is slightly different for each person.

I'd argue that, unless you're very lean already or obese and training naïve, it's an incredibly inefficient way of going about things, and that better results will be yielded from focusing on one goal at the expense of the other.

As I said, it isn’t the optimal way, but it can be done. Most bodybuilders choose to bulk and cut because it gets them mass faster. If he’s providing appropriate stimulus, protein and rest/recovery, he will gain strength and mass. The muscles aren’t going to refuse to adapt just because he’s running 200 calories short. He might have energy/fatigue to manage, which is why meal timing can be important.