WOMEN*** heavy lifting questions

Options
2»

Replies

• nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've done the simply shredded one above, and I've done another program from bodybuilding.com which was glute focused similar to SC I think, a while ago as well. I've enjoyed them both. Now I'm on a 4 day split similar to the erin stern program. Once I lose my enthusiasm and get bored with the workout I'm doing, then I switch it up.....usually every few months.

There are tons of programs online. As above, when hubby and I train together, we do the same workout with different weights. :)
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    I have followed this program recently, and liked it so much, I went 3 months straight with it...and will repeat right after I get through a dumb minor knee injury...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/erin-stern-elite-body-4-week-fitness-trainer-training.html

I train at home, IMO the exercise lineup is uncomplicated, does not contain any fancy machines, has lots of solid compound lifts, and my body gets enough recovery time with the 4 day split.
    The workouts have many supersets, which are not intended for the pursuit of significant PRs. You can add weight, when you feel comfortable, but you would mainly be training to failure at last set/last rep of the supersets, by chosing a lighter weight for the individual lifts.
    The split strictly separates muscle groups, and 'big' whole-body lifts, like deadlifts are not part of the program. In my experience, this is to avoid exhausting too many muscle groups at one time, and it will allow sufficient recovery after the very demanding supersets.
    Erin's shoulders are sort of a 'calling card', and if you like the visual of a small waist/hourglass figure you will enjoy the focus on upper body workouts. The one leg day is plenty, in many ways....ouch.... =)
    The posted exercise lineup is a bit different than the videos. I recommend watching the videos, though. The whole thing gets a lot less intimidating, after you hear her version, and see her doing the workouts.
    The exercises are demanding, and you should aim for the prescibed reps/set. (Adjust weights if in doubt...) The program will likely not work, if you skip exercises, or if you don't try to work up to at least a few reps of things like pushups. Also, it won't get you anywhere, if you try to mix-n-match this with another program. This was set for 4 weeks, and after 12 weeks straight, I can say, give it all, and it will show progress for any level of experience.

Good luck and happy lifting!

I also am doing Erin Stern's program. I'm in my 4th week and have been enjoying it. However, I did add deadlifts and leg presses to my leg day yesterday just because I enjoy them. I will be hurting today for sure. I agree this is a great program and easy to follow. I took h7463's recommendation and viewed the videos instead of relying on the website's exercise guide and this helped as they slightly vary. I'd recommend you try this program.

Hello there! Great, that you're still going strong on it!
    I started again this past Monday, and today's back workout was worth all the pain... lol
    Happy lifting!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Hello, I really liked this program. I completed it twice. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
  • christylynn622
    christylynn622 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have followed this program recently, and liked it so much, I went 3 months straight with it...and will repeat right after I get through a dumb minor knee injury...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/erin-stern-elite-body-4-week-fitness-trainer-training.html

I train at home, IMO the exercise lineup is uncomplicated, does not contain any fancy machines, has lots of solid compound lifts, and my body gets enough recovery time with the 4 day split.
    The workouts have many supersets, which are not intended for the pursuit of significant PRs. You can add weight, when you feel comfortable, but you would mainly be training to failure at last set/last rep of the supersets, by chosing a lighter weight for the individual lifts.
    The split strictly separates muscle groups, and 'big' whole-body lifts, like deadlifts are not part of the program. In my experience, this is to avoid exhausting too many muscle groups at one time, and it will allow sufficient recovery after the very demanding supersets.
    Erin's shoulders are sort of a 'calling card', and if you like the visual of a small waist/hourglass figure you will enjoy the focus on upper body workouts. The one leg day is plenty, in many ways....ouch.... =)
    The posted exercise lineup is a bit different than the videos. I recommend watching the videos, though. The whole thing gets a lot less intimidating, after you hear her version, and see her doing the workouts.
    The exercises are demanding, and you should aim for the prescibed reps/set. (Adjust weights if in doubt...) The program will likely not work, if you skip exercises, or if you don't try to work up to at least a few reps of things like pushups. Also, it won't get you anywhere, if you try to mix-n-match this with another program. This was set for 4 weeks, and after 12 weeks straight, I can say, give it all, and it will show progress for any level of experience.

I also am doing Erin Stern's program. I'm in my 4th week and have been enjoying it. However, I did add deadlifts and leg presses to my leg day yesterday just because I enjoy them. I will be hurting today for sure. I agree this is a great program and easy to follow. I took h7463's recommendation and viewed the videos instead of relying on the website's exercise guide and this helped as they slightly vary. I'd recommend you try this program.

I started again this past Monday, and today's back workout was worth all the pain... lol
    Happy lifting!

Hey there! Welcome back to the program! I'm going to send you a friend request, because I feel like I have several questions going through this program...and could also use someone who understands lifting! No offense will be taken if you're not looking for new friends- I'll just send you messages on my other discussion that you replied to! Thx!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I do Wendler 5/3/1 on a 4 day split with hypertrophy-ish (lower weight, higher rep) accessory lifts based on what I'm training that day.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Happy lifting!

Hey there! Welcome back to the program! I'm going to send you a friend request, because I feel like I have several questions going through this program...and could also use someone who understands lifting! No offense will be taken if you're not looking for new friends- I'll just send you messages on my other discussion that you replied to! Thx!
    Hey future friend....lol
    Not sure if I 'understand' lifting, but I'll be happy to share some of my epic fails with you... That's gotta be at least as helpful! ;)