vent

Options
sorry about this, but i just need to put it out there. a co-worker said to me "you need to stop losing weight. you're going to become anorexic. do you eat carbs? [yes] so all that weight loss is just from exercise? [no, it's from eating in moderation and exercising regularly]. well, you must be tired all the time."
w...t...f

has this happened to anyone else? how did you deal with it? because right now i am seething in anger and planning to wear ALL OF MY CLOTHES (chandler-style) so i don't have to hear anything like this again.

Replies

• Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry :\ Don't let people like that get you down. Their comments about anorexia show that they know nothing about it (you need to stop losing weight or you will become anorexic? yeah, ok.) Sounds like this person may be jealous of your weight loss. I've had people make comments like that to me, and usually it's from people that I know would also like to lose weight, but haven't been able to do it. They may have said those things to you to make themselves feel better about their own situation. That for you to lose weight either means you have an eating disorder, or you're tired all the time. Both of which are undesirable states of being, and probably makes your coworker feel better about not getting into such situations.

As long as you are healthy and not harming yourself, go on with your bad self! And ignore the silly negative comments! :)
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The best way is to blow it away. Unfortunately there is a lot of ignorance when it comes to weight loss and a lot of assumptions.
    You know that you're doing it properly assumptions nd doing great.. that's what matters!

All the best,
    Adam
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You can either deal with it directly by having a word with them so it doesnt repeat or yopu can chill out and push it to one side. What I wouldnt do is get worked up about it as thats such a ridiculous waste of energy.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    It was Joey who wore all of Chandler's clothes.
  • AnnimalHse
    Options
    Envy, pure and simple! Sounds like women at my office!
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Don't be too frustrated by what people say, however don't dismiss them either. While someone may not be that good at conveying what they are trying to say, is there a point to what they are saying? Are you dropping weight too quickly or dropping below a healthy weight for your age/gender etc. If this is not the case, then just let it breeze over you. If it is possibly the case then hopefully you can recognise that.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I used to get it a lot as I was losing weight. It actually made me more determined to keep it off! Why you are angry, I can't really understand. People commenting....kindly or not...is a sign that your hard work is visibly paying off.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Well, does she have a point? Are you underweight? You seem to be really upset by her comment.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Just smile and say, "Thanks for noticing the hard work I've put into bettering myself."
  • pjs2780
    pjs2780 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    thanks all for the comments so far :smiley:
    right! joey. :blush: ha -- maybe i need to rewatch the series.
    i'm 35, 5', 132 lbs -- still above normal BMI and i've been at this for a year and a half, so concerns re: too fast, too much don't really apply.
    i'm upset because of the implication that there must be something wrong with me for me to have changed my body in this way -- surely it couldn't just be hard work :neutral_face:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    pjs2780 wrote: »
    thanks all for the comments so far :smiley:
    right! joey. :blush: ha -- maybe i need to rewatch the series.
    i'm 35, 5', 132 lbs -- still above normal BMI and i've been at this for a year and a half, so concerns re: too fast, too much don't really apply.
    i'm upset because of the implication that there must be something wrong with me for me to have changed my body in this way -- surely it couldn't just be hard work :neutral_face:
    Okay, good to hear that you're not underweight. Sometimes, those comments are accurate and the person losing the weight can't see it.

In your case, though, it sounds like she's just projecting. That happens a lot -- "of course there's something wrong with YOU, it couldn't just be eating less, because I don't want to face the fact that I could be doing that myself." Next time you see her, just smile to yourself and remember that she's looking for the thing you're doing wrong because she doesn't want to deal with her own issues.

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    First, way to go on all of your progress!! You should be congratulated!!
    Okay, now, You could tell your coworker that her/his comments are 1. hurtful 2. none of their business 3. making you uncomfortable. There is no need for you to be harassed at work over your weight loss. When I began my healthy lifestyle I got lots of comments like that too, "your pants are getting too big", "you need to eat a cheeseburger", etc. Funny thing was I would eat cheeseburgers and drink beer when we went out as a group after work, but I guess they thought that was just for show. Being healthy and losing weight is nothing to be ashamed of, or mad about. Keep up what you are doing and maybe share with them all you've done to get there. It took me eating a lot in front of people and talking to them about my lifestyle before MOST of them understood. I still have one lady at work ask me if certain foods are on my "diet"...it drives me batty but I just let it go. Best of luck!
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    AnnimalHse wrote: »
    Envy, pure and simple! Sounds like women at my office!

Nailed it. Sadly I have a few of the same people in my life and they try and bring you down to lift themselves up. Keep on doing exactly what you're doing and remember that... those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    First, way to go on all of your progress!! You should be congratulated!!
    Okay, now, You could tell your coworker that her/his comments are 1. hurtful 2. none of their business 3. making you uncomfortable. There is no need for you to be harassed at work over your weight loss. When I began my healthy lifestyle I got lots of comments like that too, "your pants are getting too big", "you need to eat a cheeseburger", etc. Funny thing was I would eat cheeseburgers and drink beer when we went out as a group after work, but I guess they thought that was just for show. Being healthy and losing weight is nothing to be ashamed of, or mad about. Keep up what you are doing and maybe share with them all you've done to get there. It took me eating a lot in front of people and talking to them about my lifestyle before MOST of them understood. I still have one lady at work ask me if certain foods are on my "diet"...it drives me batty but I just let it go. Best of luck!

I agree with this. If you see this person regularly and you are going to continue to change and improve your body it would be best to speak with her matter-of-factually and non-emotionally and explain why what she said was inappropriate. No need to be angry. Apparently she is not very informed on this topic. It's about HER, not you.

Also agree with what AliceDark said.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    pjs2780 wrote: »
    sorry about this, but i just need to put it out there. a co-worker said to me "you need to stop losing weight. you're going to become anorexic. do you eat carbs? [yes] so all that weight loss is just from exercise? [no, it's from eating in moderation and exercising regularly]. well, you must be tired all the time."
    w...t...f

has this happened to anyone else? how did you deal with it? because right now i am seething in anger and planning to wear ALL OF MY CLOTHES (chandler-style) so i don't have to hear anything like this again.

It's so funny how different people are - if anyone ever said that to me I would be like THANK YOU OMG REALLY THANK YOU and blush and giggle and then hang out with that person all the time.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    These kind of faux-helpful comments often come from jealousy in my experience. I smile and nod and ignore.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    ^^ Agreed. Normally jealousy.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    haters gonna hate!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    don't engage in these types of conversations with anyone (other than us LOL)