broccoli slaw - yea or nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• Canye2014
    Options
    I made a smoothie today with broccoli slaw, frozen pineapple chunks and strawberries. It was really good & easy.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    never heard of broccoli slaw before, sounds good!
  • sanderson_sherry
    sanderson_sherry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    forgive me i am new to this app & i am also trying to lose weight. what i would like to know is brocclie slaw the same as brocclie sprouts? i for the most part hate cooked veggies. if i have missed spelled anything i am sorry. i am a bad speller.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    @sanderson_sherry Broccoli slaw is the stalks of broccoli, carrots, and sometimes cabbage shredded and mixed together. I'm not sure what a broccoli sprout is - but it's different from both brussel sprouts (the little green cabbage looking things) and broccoli florets (the part of the broccoli that looks like a treetop). Broccoli slaw can be found in the produce section of most grocery stores with bagged produce like bagged spinach and salad mixes. It is packaged raw.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just bought some today as an alternative to the higher priced mixed salad bags. Had some with dinner, and I mixed a serving of broccoli slaw with a serving of low fat cottage cheese and some dry powdered vegetable dip mix, lemon pepper, and Herbamare (herbed sea salt). It was yummy and filling.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I need to buy some of that again. I used it in salads. LOTS of food for little calories.
  • sanderson_sherry
    sanderson_sherry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks for the information
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    sarahtsabo wrote: »
    I boil it and use it as a pasta alternative. It takes quite awhile to get tender, but it's very good!!

this is what I do with it as well. But I want to add that I am not a big pasta eater to begin with. someone who loves pasta, this might taste really weird...

• Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I add it to turkey meatloaf.
  • christiec2015
    christiec2015 Posts: 85
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yak. I have tenderstem broccoli in stir-fry's and cook them 'till they're about medium cooked, but I could never have it fully raw
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat it raw, but look out for store bought. Sometimes they can be loaded with mayo or tons of oil. It's real simple to make yourself and then you know exactly what's in it.
  • All1971
    All1971 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I mix it with Newman's lowfat Asian sesame salad dressing, sesame seeds, dried cranberries, and sometimes some mandarin orange segments. Makes a great Asian slaw. I keep it in the fridge and often eat a small bowl as soon as I get home from work to fill me up a bit before dinner.
  • mariavhaag
    mariavhaag Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make broccolli slaw. Raw w/slaw dressing -made with light mayo, white, vinegar and sugar
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for this at a couple of different grocery stores and can't find it :(
  • evilqueenT
    evilqueenT Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat it raw in salads, mixed like coleslaw, and on shrimp tacos.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    evilqueenT wrote: »
    I eat it raw in salads, mixed like coleslaw, and on shrimp tacos.

Shrimp tacos?! Ooooh that sounds good! Now I need to find me some shrimp...

I just realized yesterday that I have a bag of this stuff at home... and I need to use it. Maybe some mayo mixed with a vinegar (I have like 4 variations at home) and let it sit... throw it on top of shrimp in a tortilla... or with some pulled pork on a sandwich...

Yum yum yum

• lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i use it as a filler for my salads. but, my fav is using the slaw for my baja fish tacos. i add 1 tablespoon of lite mayo, 1/2 cup of corn, lime juice & a dash of agave, salt pepper to taste.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    i use it as a filler for my salads. but, my fav is using the slaw for my baja fish tacos. i add 1 tablespoon of lite mayo, 1/2 cup of corn & a dash of agave, salt pepper to taste.

What kind of fish do you use? Do you use tortillas?
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i use tilapia. i use corn (2 tortillas are 100 calories). Below is the recipe I use to coat the fish. it's become a fav meal in my house. sometimes, I will throw in shrimp. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/blackened-tilapia-baja-tacos
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm making "crack" slaw this week with it! You cook up some hamburger or sausage, add brocolli slaw, some diced up red pepper (and onion if you like), sliced/diced mushrooms (baby bella are best imho), garlic, a little soy sauce and sriracha and let it all steam up until the veggies are tender. Stir in 2 cups of cooked rice and enjoy!