Going out for Thai food tonight

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Jealous - I love Thai food and rarely have the opportunity unless it's by myself, and that's no fun.

I like everything mentioned already, but I did not see anyone mention coconut rice yet. If they offer it, get some. Made right, it is awesome. Not made right, it's still pretty good.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So pretty much what I wrote in your status, but now that I've seen the actual menu I would say:
    Tom Ka Soup
    Chicken Satay
    Shrimp Penang Curry or the Thai Grilled Chicken (sounds like it could be either amazing or kind of meh)

The good news is they have fried bananas! Everyone knows that bananas are just like ice cream! Or, you could get the fried bananas ala mode, but I don't want your head to explode...

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Jealous - I love Thai food and rarely have the opportunity unless it's by myself, and that's no fun.

I like everything mentioned already, but I did not see anyone mention coconut rice yet. If they offer it, get some. Made right, it is awesome. Not made right, it's still pretty good.

Sadly, I'm not a fan of coconut anymore. Years back I spent 1 month in the mountains in Colombia while I was on vacation. My aunt made freaking Coconut rice every single day for lunch and dinner. By the time I left I would have killed for something else. Since then coconut and I don't meet eye to eye.

Ha!

Totally understand. I had the same feeling about bananas for a while. I was prescribed 4 a day for several months when I was a kid for low potassium. Never occurred to mom or the doc that there are other foods that are good potassium sources ... and when I started gagging at the smell of banana, maybe it'd be a good idea to swap it out for something else.

Took me years before I would even consider the tiniest taste of banana.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Sadly, I'm not a fan of coconut anymore. Years back I spent 1 month in the mountains in Colombia while I was on vacation. My aunt made freaking Coconut rice every single day for lunch and dinner. By the time I left I would have killed for something else. Since then coconut and I don't meet eye to eye.

That may negate a good portion of my recommendations... most of the curries are made with coconut milk and the soup I love so much is definitely coconut milk based.

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd go for the massaman curry as that is my favourite Thai dish but as you don't like coconut that's no good! Beef rendang is also delicious.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love ginger chicken, bamboo chicken and sweet basil chicken. I also love the fresh rolls. Yum...now I don't want the pork tenderloin I cooked for dinner I want Thai!
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Summer rolls!!! Fresh, not fried, with veggies and shrimp. We always get those when we have Thai. So good, you kind of forget that they are super healthy.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    SUUUUPER spicy shrimp pad thai! YUUUUM!
    +1
    I like chickun tho
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Oh if you have a yen to order the crispy whole fish - do it. It sounds like something pretentious for westerners to order but it's AMAZING. I don't even like fish that much and I will pick one of those carcasses clean.

You what's funny, I saw they have whole fish on the menu and was like hmmmmmm. But honestly I don't want to order anything to pricey. I got invited to dinner and I don't want to have him spend to much money. Kind of feels rude.

Yeah and the fish is more of a family style thing where everyone bumps chopsticks trying to get the best pieces. That is not a euphemism.

Re: coconut: I find that coconut milk does not taste the same as actual coconut, if that helps. Get the tom kha soup and another appetizer to split maybe in case you don't like?

eta: it
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Oh if you have a yen to order the crispy whole fish - do it. It sounds like something pretentious for westerners to order but it's AMAZING. I don't even like fish that much and I will pick one of those carcasses clean.

You what's funny, I saw they have whole fish on the menu and was like hmmmmmm. But honestly I don't want to order anything to pricey. I got invited to dinner and I don't want to have him spend to much money. Kind of feels rude.

Yeah and the fish is more of a family style thing where everyone bumps chopsticks trying to get the best pieces. That is not a euphemism.

Re: coconut: I find that coconut milk does not taste the same as actual coconut, if that helps. Get the tom kha soup and another appetizer to split maybe in case you don't like?

eta: it

I was going to say the same thing, the tom kha soup doesn't really taste like coconut in the sense of a pina colada or coconut baked goods. Maybe it is the galangel and lemongrass but that flavor combination is one that I really crave every so often!

• JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Going to eat some Thai food tonight. I'm ashamed to say it but even though I live in NYC I've never bothered to eat Thai food before. I didn't pick the restaurant, a client is taking me there. What do you recommend? I enjoy semi spicy but not to the point where you can't enjoy the food.

I don't do low carb
    I don't do low fat
    I don't do high sadness in a bowl

I'm looking for good, tasty recommendations. The last word I'm looking for in a suggestion is "healthy".

Thai food is my absolute favorite! Pad Thai and green papaya salad so so good.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Ok just checking the menu , maybe don't order their green papaya salad they put tomato in it? No just no.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Cashew nut chicken is my go-to. If they have any kind of grilled squid, that too.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Oh and tom yum soup. And fried shrimp rolls (screw the fresh ones, or get both). Crap, now I want Thai food.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So I have decide 1 thing I'm getting so far is Shrimp pad thai. My partner at work said I should really like it. He's a chef and after driving me around for 3 years buying food all day once a week he's pretty say to my eating style.

Here's the thing man, Pad Thai is THE dish. You can tell how good the cooks are at a place by the quality of the pad thai. Done well, it's sublime. Done poorly, you'll wish you had gone to panda express.