Help meeting macronutrient goals: 15% Carbs 25%Protein 60% Fat

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hey JPW1990, the foggyness you mention from the Keto flu is only temporary as your body converts to using ketones as fuel - a more natural and better fuel source for your brain and other metabolic functions. Bodies running on sugar and glucose as the primary fuel source is the anomoly, not the intended fuel source for our bodies. There is a ton of excellent research out there on the Keto diet/lifestyle and legions of people who have lost weight, lowered their cholesterol, gotten off heart and high BP meds, all from the positive and healthy effects of high fat, low carb diets.

People have lost weight on ketogenic diets because they have been in a calorie deficit. Losing weight often leads to improved cholesterol and blood pressure. It's not the magic of a ketogenic diet, it's the magic of a calorie deficit and the resulting weight loss.
  • ketoindy
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Hey JPW1990, the foggyness you mention from the Keto flu is only temporary as your body converts to using ketones as fuel - a more natural and better fuel source for your brain and other metabolic functions. Bodies running on sugar and glucose as the primary fuel source is the anomoly, not the intended fuel source for our bodies. There is a ton of excellent research out there on the Keto diet/lifestyle and legions of people who have lost weight, lowered their cholesterol, gotten off heart and high BP meds, all from the positive and healthy effects of high fat, low carb diets.

People have lost weight on ketogenic diets because they have been in a calorie deficit. Losing weight often leads to improved cholesterol and blood pressure. It's not the magic of a ketogenic diet, it's the magic of a calorie deficit and the resulting weight loss.

So in other words... it works. Regardless of the reason, in the end, it works. Perhaps it's simply a result of cutting out sugars, which are largely converted to body fat and cause insulin spikes which make you feel hungry. Perhaps it's because ketones are a cool thing. Perhaps it's just because it's easier to stay on a high fat (flavorful and filling) diet when you remove sugar than it is to stay on anything else where you remove sugar. Maybe it's something we haven't researched enough the reasons behind it.
    And perhaps the reason people have such calorie deficits on it is because it makes them not WANT to eat more than what they are. Personally, when I've had to almost force myself to eat more to REACH a 1,000 calorie deficit, simply because I'm not particularly hungry most the time.
    In the end, if it works, it works. Would be nice to get even more research behind it (though there has been a good bit), but whatever.
    Why are you so afraid of it?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    ketoindy wrote: »

So in other words... it works. Regardless of the reason, in the end, it works. Perhaps it's simply a result of cutting out sugars, which are largely converted to body fat and cause insulin spikes which make you feel hungry. Perhaps it's because ketones are a cool thing. Perhaps it's just because it's easier to stay on a high fat (flavorful and filling) diet when you remove sugar than it is to stay on anything else where you remove sugar. Maybe it's something we haven't researched enough the reasons behind it.
    And perhaps the reason people have such calorie deficits on it is because it makes them not WANT to eat more than what they are. Personally, when I've had to almost force myself to eat more to REACH a 1,000 calorie deficit, simply because I'm not particularly hungry most the time.
    In the end, if it works, it works. Would be nice to get even more research behind it (though there has been a good bit), but whatever.

It does and doesn't work. A calorie deficit works no matter how you achieve it. People go around thinking that keto is magic. If it helps you eat less then it works, but it isn't working because of the reasons they typically claim it does (burning more fat, utilizing less of your calories, not understanding insulin and the role it plays).

I also think you don't understand everything that causes insulin spikes. Carbs aren't the only thing that cause them and there are reasons you actually do want insulin spikes.

I'm not afraid of it, I want to clear up the myths about it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

What you eat is purely preference as long as it keeps you satiated enough to reach your calorie goal and supports your lifestyle and physical goals.

Keto is not necessary, and some people will find it overly restrictive and hard to follow. Others will find it a good fit for them. Some will find it beneficial for their health (the diet was initially developed as a treatment for epilepsy).

It's important that people understand that this isn't the only way; if they can't stick to it they need to realize they aren't a failure. It's just this way of eating isn't right for them.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

It does and doesn't work. A calorie deficit works no matter how you achieve it. People go around thinking that keto is magic. If it helps you eat less then it works, but it isn't working because of the reasons they typically claim it does (burning more fat, utilizing less of your calories, not understanding insulin and the role it plays).

I also think you don't understand everything that causes insulin spikes. Carbs aren't the only thing that cause them and there are reasons you actually do want insulin spikes.

Except you perpetuated them, instead. EVERY diet will start with 5-10lbs loss the first week, mostly water weight. That's nothing unique to keto, so why bring it up like it only happens with keto? Your spiel about the electrolyte imbalance suggests it's a long term survival response. It's a 2-7 day misfortune which occurs in people who aren't paying attention to their intake, and only happens in people who are short of some combination of sodium, potassium and magnesium. People who do research in advance and know about it never experience it.

What I've found most interesting to the nearly violent reactions some people have to it around here is the glee with which they suggest it's unsustainable, unnatural, dangerous, etc etc. I've been on it 15 years, occasionally switching to low carb out of keto for a while when my other symptoms are better, going back if they get bad again, meaning I go up to 40g instead of 20g. I know very few people who use it only for weight loss. The vast majority use it for other reasons, some don't even bother with a deficit. Then they come on here looking for help, because they have questions, and instead of getting help, they get told they're ignorant, naive, doing the wrong thing, etc, usually without people even bothering to ask if a doctor or nutritionist has put them on it in the first place.

If I wasn't on it, I'd have died years ago. But, apparently, according to the "learned experts" of MFP, I don't exist, because if I'd actually done it, I'd have severe brain damage or be dead.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    NO
    Why does the body have fail-safe mechanisms in place to make glucose? Ketosis is the body biological adaption to starvation, do more research.
    http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJCN/12/4/396.pdf

this.

a ketogenic diet is really only appropriate for people with severe epilepsy. your brain needs glucose and is inhibited when it doesn't get its preferred food source. (which is why it inhibits seizures).
  • usmcmp
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Except you perpetuated them, instead. EVERY diet will start with 5-10lbs loss the first week, mostly water weight. That's nothing unique to keto, so why bring it up like it only happens with keto? Your spiel about the electrolyte imbalance suggests it's a long term survival response. It's a 2-7 day misfortune which occurs in people who aren't paying attention to their intake, and only happens in people who are short of some combination of sodium, potassium and magnesium. People who do research in advance and know about it never experience it.

What I've found most interesting to the nearly violent reactions some people have to it around here is the glee with which they suggest it's unsustainable, unnatural, dangerous, etc etc. I've been on it 15 years, occasionally switching to low carb out of keto for a while when my other symptoms are better, going back if they get bad again, meaning I go up to 40g instead of 20g. I know very few people who use it only for weight loss. The vast majority use it for other reasons, some don't even bother with a deficit. Then they come on here looking for help, because they have questions, and instead of getting help, they get told they're ignorant, naive, doing the wrong thing, etc, usually without people even bothering to ask if a doctor or nutritionist has put them on it in the first place.

If I wasn't on it, I'd have died years ago. But, apparently, according to the "learned experts" of MFP, I don't exist, because if I'd actually done it, I'd have severe brain damage or be dead.

1. Not all diets result in a 5-10 pound loss at first. Diets with balanced macros that don't deplete glycogen do not result in water weight loss.
    2. I didn't talk about electrolyte imbalance. I never once mentioned potassium, magnesium or sodium. I'm not sure where you got that from.
    3. I never suggested it is volatile or dangerous. If you haven't been able to stay in ketosis you have proved that ketosis is not sustainable, even if you did switch to low carb.

Ketogenic diets are unsustainable for most people. As are most other restrictive diets. People try it and fail, then they think they are just meant to stay fat. That is why we come in here and suggest people try a balanced diet first.

By all means keep doing whatever makes you happy, you're acting like I'm attacking you personally. There is still nothing wrong with us dropping in with our suggestions. That way someone who is lurking and may have fail can find a better balance and success.
  • JPW1990
    Options

1. Not all diets result in a 5-10 pound loss at first. Diets with balanced macros that don't deplete glycogen do not result in water weight loss.
    2. I didn't talk about electrolyte imbalance. I never once mentioned potassium, magnesium or sodium. I'm not sure where you got that from.
    3. I never suggested it is volatile or dangerous. If you haven't been able to stay in ketosis you have proved that ketosis is not sustainable, even if you did switch to low carb.

Ketogenic diets are unsustainable for most people. As are most other restrictive diets. People try it and fail, then they think they are just meant to stay fat. That is why we come in here and suggest people try a balanced diet first.

By all means keep doing whatever makes you happy, you're acting like I'm attacking you personally. There is still nothing wrong with us dropping in with our suggestions. That way someone who is lurking and may have fail can find a better balance and success.

That's the part where you suggested it was some brain-starvation response. It's not. It's an electrolyte imbalance which only happens if you are low on one of those 3 things.

I'm not suggesting you're personally attacking me, simply expressing my amazement at how passionately people try to talk people out of doing things without even finding out first if it's medically supervised. As for letting people know there are other ways, can you honestly say with a straight face that you believe there's a fat person on earth who is unaware that there is more than one diet plan in existence?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

People react like that because of ignorant statements like this one made above "Bodies running on sugar and glucose as the primary fuel source is the anomoly, not the intended fuel source for our bodies". That is patently false. The body will literally eat is own muscle tissue to make glucose.
    From Lyle McDonald's Ketogenic Diet book pg 44-45

"Production of glucose during long term starvation
    As long term adaptation to ketosis continues, there are a number of adaptations which occur to further spare glucose. From the third day of ketosis to three weeks of fasting, the brain gradually increases its use of ketones for fuel, ultimately deriving up to 75% of its total energy from ketones (6,26). This shift to using ketones by the brain means that only 40 grams of glucose per day is required, the remaining 60-75 grams of energy being provided by ketones (26). This means that less protein must be broken down to produce glucose. Since TG breakdown will still provide 18 grams of glucose per day, protein breakdown will only be 20 grams per day (see still provide 18 grams of glucose per day, protein breakdown will only be 20 grams per day (see table 2 on the next page) (6). As stated previously, is appears the primary purpose of ketones in humans is to provide the brain with a non-glucose, fat-derived fuel for the brain (27,30)."
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Why did you set it to that? Doesn't seem very balanced. What are you hoping the advantage of that versus balanced macros might be?

iorzye391cu7.jpg
    I chose the 15% (66grams) carbs so that I would be in the weight loss "sweet spot". The chart below is from The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. I came to the protein percentage by finding my Lean Body Mass using the following formula: (For women : LBM = (0.29569 * W) + (0.41813 * H) - 43.2933
    And then multiply the LBM by .5g for minimum protein requirement. So, for my activity level, up to 111gram protein is probably best. The rest is fat, but fat is an essential nutrient. I'm finding keeping the carbs that low to be challenging at times. I'd like to add some friends who can help with the needed motivation and recipe ideas.
  • usmcmp
    Options

That's the part where you suggested it was some brain-starvation response. It's not. It's an electrolyte imbalance which only happens if you are low on one of those 3 things.

I'm not suggesting you're personally attacking me, simply expressing my amazement at how passionately people try to talk people out of doing things without even finding out first if it's medically supervised. As for letting people know there are other ways, can you honestly say with a straight face that you believe there's a fat person on earth who is unaware that there is more than one diet plan in existence?

No. Our brains run on glucose. Our brains require a large amount of energy to function. When you switch the brain from running on glucose to running on ketones you get decreased neural transmissions. It's not an electrolyte imbalance, it's the change in chemical reactions in the brain and the changes in expression to the neurons.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What would be more balanced macros? I think the default on MFP was 60% carbs? I don't know if that would be good for me to switch to. I'm feeling pretty amazing these days... Although, a cupcake would be nice...
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
  • rcottonrph1
    Options
    People realize ketosis is bad for the kidneys and not an ideal state to be in, right???
  • usmcmp
    Options
    emilymean wrote: »

I've read it and it doesn't change the fact that our brains run on glucose. That's a biological fact. When you choose to cut out carbohydrates you shut off the krebs cycle, forcing your body to use something different.

There are a few studies they talk about in your link. Most of them have positive results specifically for epilepsy. Many of the others show only a slight advantage over high carb diets (versus a balanced diet like I suggest) and most of them state that they can't conclude that the diet is safe for everyone (where a balanced diet is definitely safe for everyone). Fat is definitely needed in the body, so the studies that only compare to high carb simply show that fat is important to metabolic functions, not that a high fat diet is healthier. I have read the studies and the high carb diet they put the rodents or people on were not even in line with the "Standard American Diet".
  • JPW1990
    Options
    People realize ketosis is bad for the kidneys and not an ideal state to be in, right???

15 years. I don't have epilepsy. My kidneys are fine. My brain is fine. I have an entire team of doctors on board. Think I'll listen to them over random forum posters.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

That would be ketoacidosis.

15 years. I don't have epilepsy. My kidneys are fine. My brain is fine. I have an entire team of doctors on board. Think I'll listen to them over random forum posters.

And no one said you had to have epilepsy, it's why it was developed. Other people do it and enjoy it others don't. Both are fine.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I fall squarely into the "I don't give a darn how others lose weight" camp. But dang, LOL at the "Insidious Weight Gain" range on the carb chart on page 1 (sorry, it won't let me quote it). That's patently false...or there's an awful lot of "special snowflakes" (myself included) that have lost and maintained our leaner bodies on 200+g of carbs daily.

OP, if you're thinking you do want to go the keto route, seeking out a keto group with experienced users would be your best bet. However, if you're looking at a more balanced dietary intake, nothing wrong with something like 40-50% carb/20-30% fat/ 20-30% protein (tweak as necessary to work with your desired taste palate).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    emilymean wrote: »

Thanks emilymean for the link. It is a very good article without going deep into science as to why I now live in a state of nutritional ketosis full time. I will clearly state I spent 200+ hours reading and studying about nutritional ketosis before I really grasped the concept. It is very hard to get a commonly trained mind wrapped around the science behind nutritional ketosis.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I fall squarely into the "I don't give a darn how others lose weight" camp. But dang, LOL at the "Insidious Weight Gain" range on the carb chart on page 1 (sorry, it won't let me quote it). That's patently false...or there's an awful lot of "special snowflakes" (myself included) that have lost and maintained our leaner bodies on 200+g of carbs daily.

OP, if you're thinking you do want to go the keto route, seeking out a keto group with experienced users would be your best bet. However, if you're looking at a more balanced dietary intake, nothing wrong with something like 40-50% carb/20-30% fat/ 20-30% protein (tweak as necessary to work with your desired taste palate).

williams969 the chart is basically correct. You can lose weight eating high carbs as you stated and not be a special snow flake. :) Most of us gain fat better from carbs than from fats. This is why they feed beef, swine and poultry grain instead of a high fat diet to fatten them up for the market.