Help meeting macronutrient goals: 15% Carbs 25%Protein 60% Fat

Options

Replies

• Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I actually think the low carb diets do work in terms of weight loss, based on the anecdotal evidence of people I know plus reading up on the various studies etc. And I don't buy into the fact they work because people are unknowingly in deficit. There are an awful lot of calories in fatty foods!

That said, I am reluctant to try it myself for various reasons:

- I already lost plenty of weight using calorie deficit and what I would call a "balanced diet" which I have refined as I have gone along to decent effect ( currently 200 kcal deficit with 35C 40F 25P & 60g sugar target )
    - I don't know what the long term health effects are, does anyone?
    - Its not very family friendly; I am just one of 4 here including 2 kids and I want us eating a balanced nutritious diet together where possible
    - I run 40-50km a week so its a choice between sufficient carbs or keto for me, and I choose carbs ;-)

What I don't like is the way certain people on here jump on anyone who dares to question that its as simple as calories in calories out. I don't think it is, but even if I did, so what if people want to try things out and understand their relationship with diet better?
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Your study is 12 years old. You might want to click that video link, too, if you're actually interested in the science involved.

The human metabolism hasn't significantly changed in the past 12 years, though.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Most of us gain fat better from carbs than from fats. This is why they feed beef, swine and poultry grain instead of a high fat diet to fatten them up for the market.

Oh dear... I'm sure that, you know, biology, has nothing to do with what grass and grain eating animals are being fed?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I fall squarely into the "I don't give a darn how others lose weight" camp. But dang, LOL at the "Insidious Weight Gain" range on the carb chart on page 1 (sorry, it won't let me quote it). That's patently false...or there's an awful lot of "special snowflakes" (myself included) that have lost and maintained our leaner bodies on 200+g of carbs daily.

OP, if you're thinking you do want to go the keto route, seeking out a keto group with experienced users would be your best bet. However, if you're looking at a more balanced dietary intake, nothing wrong with something like 40-50% carb/20-30% fat/ 20-30% protein (tweak as necessary to work with your desired taste palate).

williams969 the chart is basically correct. You can lose weight eating high carbs as you stated and not be a special snow flake. :) Most of us gain fat better from carbs than from fats. This is why they feed beef, swine and poultry grain instead of a high fat diet to fatten them up for the market.
    You're comparing human metabolism to bovine metabolism. Well that settles the argument of the brain requiring glucose to run.
    Carbs aren't very likely to make humans fat.
    http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-overfeeding-overview-high-fat-carb.html
    "In the short run, like on refeed days, for example, carbohydrate overfeeding has another advantage over fat overfeeding, because it takes roughly 500g of carbohydrates (that's 2,000kcal) before even a single gram of those carbs is converted to fat and potentially, but not necessarily stored as body fat (Acheson. 1988) - at "only" 400kcal extra from carbs for one day there was no net lipogenesis at all (see Figure 5). This result is corroborated by data from McDevitt et al. (2000) who observed that the fat gain with fat overfeeding starts with day 1, while there is a time gap in the increase in body fat with carbohydrate overfeeding (McDevitt. 2000).
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I actually think the low carb diets do work in terms of weight loss, based on the anecdotal evidence of people I know plus reading up on the various studies etc. And I don't buy into the fact they work because people are unknowingly in deficit. There are an awful lot of calories in fatty foods!

That said, I am reluctant to try it myself for various reasons:

- I already lost plenty of weight using calorie deficit and what I would call a "balanced diet" which I have refined as I have gone along to decent effect ( currently 200 kcal deficit with 35C 40F 25P & 60g sugar target )
    - I don't know what the long term health effects are, does anyone?
    - Its not very family friendly; I am just one of 4 here including 2 kids and I want us eating a balanced nutritious diet together where possible
    - I run 40-50km a week so its a choice between sufficient carbs or keto for me, and I choose carbs ;-)

What I don't like is the way certain people on here jump on anyone who dares to question that its as simple as calories in calories out. I don't think it is, but even if I did, so what if people want to try things out and understand their relationship with diet better?

I think it comes down to a lot of people, usually, but not always, younger people, who have had rather sheltered, or at least fortunate, lives to this point. They've never had to take medication that requires them to eat things with a specific nutrient, whether they like the things that contain it or not. They've never had a medical problem that relates directly to specific macros or ingredients, whether it's an allergy or a resistance. It's easy to spout "CICO, don't deprive yourself, don't force yourself" when you've never even looked at your intake beyond the nutrients listed on a bag of Fritos. That's all fine and good in itself, but it's the sense of entitlement, that anyone who has different priorities is basically expected to reveal their entire medical history if they want people to stop harassing them (and even then, some will still tell them they're doing it wrong). That along with the condescending attitude that only they understand the very basic math of CICO, ignoring that it's the starting point of every diet, regardless of what other conditions are involved. CICO alone works for someone with 20 lbs to lose and no health problems. CICO+carb restriction works for someone with diabetes. Why should the second person be required to mention diabetes to keep the first page of every post they make from being spammed with "why?" and "that's stupid, just eat what you want!"
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    On a side note, my mother has a corgie that she loves, loves, loves. He got real fat as he aged and could barely get around. After two hip surgeries he was put on a paleo diet, no more dog crunchies or bagged dog food and guess what, that dog lost a ton of weight, like a whole dog amount of weight. So, in short, GaleHawkins is correct and my little story is just an example of this.
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Most of us gain fat better from carbs than from fats. This is why they feed beef, swine and poultry grain instead of a high fat diet to fatten them up for the market.

Oh dear... I'm sure that, you know, biology, has nothing to do with what grass and grain eating animals are being fed?

Please go back to school and retake biology 101.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    emilymean wrote: »
    On a side note, my mother has a corgie that she loves, loves, loves. He got real fat as he aged and could barely get around. After two hip surgeries he was put on a paleo diet, no more dog crunchies or bagged dog food and guess what, that dog lost a ton of weight, like a whole dog amount of weight. So, in short, GaleHawkins is correct and my little story is just an example of this.
    zipa78 wrote: »

Please go back to school and retake biology 101.

In case you had not noticed, dogs aren't cattle. And cattle aren't fed grain and not fat to make them fat. Cattle are fed grain because cattle have been eating grains for thousands of years and that is what their body has adapted for them to eat. Dogs have not been eating grains for thousands of years, and people should definitely talk to their vet about appropriate foods. And all creatures should be fed an appropriate amount of food to meet their nutritional needs (including humans).

Luckily, humans are omnivores and have adapted to eat meat, grains, vegetables, etc. It's one of the reasons we've survived so well.
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Omg, my dad raises cattle and you're going to tell me what they feed cattle. They are fattened before slaughter with grain. If left to their own devices they graze on grass and their salt lick. Not man made grains. I'm out of here, there's no reasoning with CICO's.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Omg, my dad raises cattle and you're going to tell me what they feed cattle. They are fattened before slaughter with grain. If left to their own devices they graze on grass and their salt lick. Not man made grains. I'm out of here, there's no reasoning with CICO's.

So, if a cow was in a wheat field, they would not eat the wheat?

ETA: And my aunt and uncle raise cattle. You aren't special.
  • ValentineNicole
    ValentineNicole Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do not eat a low carb / high fat diet, as it made my cholesterol go up the roof (I do full screens every year, and I followed this way of eating for the three months prior to my physical). That said, if you have high blood sugar, this diet can be a miracle. My dad actually was diagnosed with diabetes and doesn't even need medicine because he ate a low carb lifestyle to manage it. He now tests 100% normal.

Why is everyone on this forum always so angry about people reducing carbs or sugars? Refined sugars are awful for you, and even though I eat them too, our goals shouldn't just be to get skinny. Our goals should be to get HEALTHY.

OP - if this way of eating works for you, great! I have to balance carefully, because diabetes runs on my dad's side and heart issues on my mom's. I found I could get away with much fewer calories on a higher fat, low carb diet. I felt great, too. I just couldn't accept my health screening, since I've always had low cholesterol.

</vent>
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Gale Hawkins is correct because a dog is supposed to eat a particular way?

My cats are on low carb diets and do not drink milk. I, on the other hand, do not need to eat low carb and eat lots of dairy. The reason is that cats are not humans and humans are not cats. Cats are primarily carnivores and are lactose intolerant as adults. Humans are not primarily carnivores (we are omnivores) and a good percentage of humans (varying depending on ancestry) are lactose tolerant. For me to choose my ideal diet based on what's good for a cat would be extremely unhealthy and IMO insane.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    They are fattened before slaughter with grain.

Some are, some aren't. What does this have to do with CICO (other than grain being relatively calorie dense in comparison with grass)?
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use Fat 30/ Protein 10/ Carb 60. Don't believe the low carb nonsense. You need carbs for energy. But you need good carbs, fruits and veggies, not refined carbs like sugar, bread and cakes
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Why is everyone on this forum always so angry about people reducing carbs or sugars?

I haven't noticed that. I certainly am not; I've reduced carbs and sugar myself.

I think people just feel compelled to correct misinformation (i.e., "Gale"'s argument that carbs are bad for people and that a diet of 1200 calories of coconut oil is healthier). In some cases, there's also a desire to fight the message that people MUST do certain things (like cut carbs) to lose and idea that on average people are worse off if they do that. I think the message that they must is bad, but I also think it works for some, so as long as people don't insist you must or it's healthier, I don't care.
    Refined sugars are awful for you, and even though I eat them too, our goals shouldn't just be to get skinny. Our goals should be to get HEALTHY.

Refined sugars aren't "awful for you," they are probably pretty neutral unless you (a) overeat them, or (b) need them for quick energy. I think all the CICO people are concerned about health too, which is why it's annoying when people claim otherwise.

The recommendations to limit added sugar (which I personally do) are coming from the same sources that say the OP's planned macros are unbalanced and not ideal (I think that advice, like the advice about 25 grams of added sugar or MFP's silly sugar recommendations is too one size fits all, so I think the OP's macros are fine if they work for her). More significantly, you need to understand the reasoning behind them. It's not that sugar--or "added sugar"--is bad for you, it's that a high amount of added sugar tends to signify a high amount of calorie dense items (although the majority of the calories in those items are quite typically not from sugar, depending) and a diet that is often too high in calories for weight maintenance or too low in nutrients, or both.

If you monitor your diet to make sure it is nutrient rich and balanced and that your calories are not excessive, there's probably no reason to worry much about sugar, absence a health issue (like diabetes, although my understanding is that that's usually more about carbs as a whole).
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. Feel free to look. I do keto.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I follow a similar macro set up as you. Yes I follow the Ketogenic Diet. I have seen improvement in my mental clarity and memory, energy levels, performance in the gym (after a month or so. It takes time to adapt.), and my hunger levels. I was tired of always feeling hungry, having highs and lows to my day. Also, diabetes runs in my family, and I want to make sure it never happens to me.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I'm pretty sure my diary is open to at least my friends (feel free to friend me). I don't eat fruit, but I include lots of leafy green veggies, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, or any green veggie I like. That's about it for carbs minus the few in things like cheese, cream, or nuts. I cook everything in olive oil, coconut oil, or butter to add fat. Sometimes I add a table spoon of cream or coconut oil to my tea or coffee. After you get used to which foods are good for fitting your macros, it gets easier. I don't make anything extravagant most of the time. For example, today for lunch I had a salad with spinach, basil, avocado, salmon, and olive oil.

I do know that while you are trying to adapt to keto, upping your fat to as much as 80% and lowering your carbs to 5% can be really helpful and shorten the "keto flu". I hope this answers your question, and feel free to add me!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would hardly call that a high protein/high fat diet. Depending on your daily calories, 15% carbs might not even be low enough to get you into ketosis. Being in ketosis isn't bad. Keep yourself well hydrated.

I see plenty of people posting who obviously have no knowledge about low carb WOE. When eating low carb, you get energy from the high amount of fat you eat.

If you like this WOE, go for it. I would suggest checking out the low carber daily forum and the keto forum. Don't worry people, we take care of our own and many, especially those that are close or at goal weight count calories too.

OP - Focus on your carbs coming from veggies mainly. Don't be afraid of fat (low carb and low fat is NOT a good combo). I don't think my diary is open to public right now, but I think the groups will be good resources for you and help you come up with food ideas. Make sure you're drinking your water!

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My logging can be patchy but feel free to add me.

Part of my approach to hitting a higher % fat is to buy foods with a similar or greater amount of fat than protein (in grams) hence 20% fat beef mince, eggs, hard cheese, oily fish etc that come automatically close to my macros.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    People realize ketosis is bad for the kidneys and not an ideal state to be in, right???

No, because it's wrong.