Atkins diet success stories?

Options
13»

Replies

• Ja_ja_jakeya
    Ja_ja_jakeya Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's funny to me how everyone suddenly becomes a dietitian or weight loss expert when it come to the message boards! :D
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    All of you who did Atkins, lost the weight, then put it back on didn't do Atkins correctly. You are supposed to gradually add carbs back into the diet and find your sweet spot. Once you end Atkins completely yes, you will put all the weight back on. It's all about insulin.

Sigh. It's not about insulin. It's about calories. Atkins doesn't stress that enough. In fact, I never "ended" Atkins, I switched to paleo because I only lost so much weight on Atkins. You know what? I only lost so much weight on that too. Then I went back to Atkins. Then I gave up and started eating yogurt again because I missed it. Just plain yogurt with berries, nothing with sugar.

I gained weight.

Why?

I was eating more calories. I didn't cut back the rest of my food.

But eating carbs triggers cravings so you eat more calories. When I eat a bowl of pasta I am hungry an hour later. When i have a steak and green beans I am not hungry for 4 hours. Yes its about calories too but whatever works, works.
  • thedarkwombat
    Options
    All I know is:

1. My main issues with weight loss was that I was always hungry.
    2. Low carb has been the only thing to control my hunger cravings.
    3. When looking through this site I see post after post about how hungry people are all the time.

I do what works for me. If something else works for someone else, great. But I really think controlling your hunger is a big deal, and eating sugars and bad carbs are not the answer for me. If thats works for you then great!
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins back in 2004 and never used the products. I learned how to cook using a forum such as this and eating whole. I lost 96 pounds in a year and became almost anoerxic and obsessive about adding more carbs into my diet. While I didn't crave sugar I did find myself having frequent dizzy spells and feeling gerenally tired. After I stopped I went from 119 right back up to 170. It doesn't matter what "diet" you try, unless you make a change to how you eat long term it will never work. I am now following advice here and watching my calories, something I really have never done. I have yet to lose a single pound this way I am at least maintaining, that was nearly impossible for me in the past.
  • hlo9603
    hlo9603 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's funny to me how everyone suddenly becomes a dietitian or weight loss expert when it come to the message boards! :D

Seriously! It's ridiculous. I asked for success stories not people hating on what I'm trying to do. Cuz guess what? What I'm doing is working for me. I've lost almost ten pounds in 25 days. I love how everyone uses this as a way to jab at people and methods they're doing
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    All of you who did Atkins, lost the weight, then put it back on didn't do Atkins correctly. You are supposed to gradually add carbs back into the diet and find your sweet spot. Once you end Atkins completely yes, you will put all the weight back on. It's all about insulin.

Sigh. It's not about insulin. It's about calories. Atkins doesn't stress that enough. In fact, I never "ended" Atkins, I switched to paleo because I only lost so much weight on Atkins. You know what? I only lost so much weight on that too. Then I went back to Atkins. Then I gave up and started eating yogurt again because I missed it. Just plain yogurt with berries, nothing with sugar.

I gained weight.

Why?

I was eating more calories. I didn't cut back the rest of my food.

But eating carbs triggers cravings so you eat more calories. When I eat a bowl of pasta I am hungry an hour later. When i have a steak and green beans I am not hungry for 4 hours. Yes its about calories too but whatever works, works.

Not necessarily. That's what the carb dependence theory people say, but it's not necessarily true. I used to think that. I used to swear it was true.

My experience now tells me otherwise.

While I don't eat pasta (I have celiac disease and I've become a vegetarian; I eat bean pasta to get extra protein), I do eat gluten-free oatmeal and things like sweet potatoes and carrots. I eat them in moderation, and I do not feel hungry afterwards. I also... gasp!.... have been known to have a cookie or two.

The time I spent not eating carbs and sugar did help refine my taste buds and did teach me lessons. I learned that I could control myself. That was invaluable. When I did incorporate carbs back into my diet, I didn't go overboard. I just ate too much food in general for my height and age.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    hlo9603 wrote: »

Seriously! It's ridiculous. I asked for success stories not people hating on what I'm trying to do. Cuz guess what? What I'm doing is working for me. I've lost almost ten pounds in 25 days. I love how everyone uses this as a way to jab at people and methods they're doing

The people (well, at least this is where I'm coming from) who are jabbing at the method want you to succeed. If we've failed after trying it because it's not sustainable long-term, there's something to be learned from that.

I'm not here to rain on your parade at all, or to take pot shots. I just know, after years of struggling with my weight, that there's really not a magic fix. A special way of eating doesn't last if it doesn't come naturally for you. You will always want the foods you've given up at some point.

You might be losing now, but what happens after the weight is gone? The end game is really important and you need to think about that now too.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

The people (well, at least this is where I'm coming from) who are jabbing at the method want you to succeed. If we've failed after trying it because it's not sustainable long-term, there's something to be learned from that.

I'm not here to rain on your parade at all, or to take pot shots. I just know, after years of struggling with my weight, that there's really not a magic fix. A special way of eating doesn't last if it doesn't come naturally for you. You will always want the foods you've given up at some point.

You might be losing now, but what happens after the weight is gone? The end game is really important and you need to think about that now too.

Because it can't possibly be user error, must be the program that has a bug?

People need to go into low carb, whatever method, be it Atkins or keto or just generic low-carb calorie counting, committed to it being a permanent life choice, just like any other change in eating. Going in thinking, "I'll do low carb and then when I lose the weight, I'll celebrate at Pizza Hut" does not work. Just like it doesn't work for any of the ten million other CICO combinations out there.

I do have to laugh every time someone says something I've been doing for 15 years isn't sustainable long-term. I know quite a few other people who've done the same. It would be more accurate to say you chose not to do it anymore, rather than say it's not sustainable.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Because it can't possibly be user error, must be the program that has a bug?

People need to go into low carb, whatever method, be it Atkins or keto or just generic low-carb calorie counting, committed to it being a permanent life choice, just like any other change in eating. Going in thinking, "I'll do low carb and then when I lose the weight, I'll celebrate at Pizza Hut" does not work. Just like it doesn't work for any of the ten million other CICO combinations out there.

I do have to laugh every time someone says something I've been doing for 15 years isn't sustainable long-term. I know quite a few other people who've done the same. It would be more accurate to say you chose not to do it anymore, rather than say it's not sustainable.

You are likely in the minority, though I don't have anything at hand to back that assertion up. Congratulations for finding something that works for you (said genuinely). And that's really what this is all about, finding something sustainable.

My problem when I read the word "Atkins" is that his book doesn't cover the subject of calories enough. Someone relying on simply cutting carbs to lose all their weight isn't going to be able to do it.

FWIW, for all I go on, I do watch my carbs. For a vegetarian, I eat moderate carbs (about 100g a day net) and high protein (also 100g or more). One thing I learned doing low-carb is that my body loves protein.

Anyway, I see a lot of people get on here with the intent to cut carbs to just lose the weight without any idea of what happens for the end game, and I think that's where a lot of the push back comes in.

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Well, sorry to burst alot of posters bubbles, but if you like eating Atkins and low carb, it can be successful for you. Eating low carb definitely didn't waste my time...it was and is the only thing that I can stick to long term for ME.

I also saw your other post...Atkins is a VERSION of low carb. You can eat Atkins and not buy any of those frozen meals bars or shakes. Low carb WOE is used by people with diabetes to control it and reduce their need for meds.
  • thedarkwombat
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's what the carb dependence theory people say, but it's not necessarily true. I used to think that. I used to swear it was true.

Not necessarily true for YOU. For me, when I am on low carb I have to force myself to eat. My hunger is gone. Completely. I strongly feel any diet that reduces hunger cant be a bad thing.

• PeachyCarol
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's what the carb dependence theory people say, but it's not necessarily true. I used to think that. I used to swear it was true.

Not necessarily true for YOU. For me, when I am on low carb I have to force myself to eat. My hunger is gone. Completely. I strongly feel any diet that reduces hunger cant be a bad thing.

Well, you wouldn't know for sure how you were with carbs now until you tested yourself, would you?

I do agree, and I think I even read this today in a study on a different topic, that taking a break from starchy carbs/sugar to retrain your taste buds and the behavior patterns you have with eating those things is definitely something a lot of people need. I sure needed it.

I am not arguing at all against people using a low carb way of eating to lose weight, either.

HOWEVER... it has to go hand in hand with counting calories.

It should also go hand in hand with the knowledge that, should carbs ever be reintroduced, calories in vs. calories out are what matters. You're not a failure on a plan, you're just transitioning to a different way of eating.

As I said upstream somewhere, the big problem with the name Atkins is that he -- at least in the edition I read way back in the dark ages -- didn't emphasize the importance of CICO enough. I lost 25 pounds with Atkins. I still needed to lose 25 pounds more. I never did because I was simply eating too many calories to do so. I thought low carbing was a magic bullet. It wasn't.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Imagine me meekly raising my hand at the back of the classroom and saying quietly, "I'm an Atkins success story."

I started Atkins back in February 2014 and lost 50 pounds in the first 6 months. I maintained my weight loss for 5 months and I’m now ready to lose the last 20 pounds. I joined MyFitnessPal for the added motivation and support so friend me please!

As for the “calories in – calories out” epic saga of our time, for me, Atkins really is a reduced calorie diet. I just didn’t realize it because I wasn’t focused on my calories. Low carb vegetables, poultry, seafood, meat, eggs, cheeses, butter, olive oil, are all self-limiting foods. I just can’t seem to binge eat on chicken breasts and green beans. I get full, I stay full, and lose a pound the next day. So is the dramatic weight loss the magic of Atkins or reduced calories? For me it’s both.

Low carb allows me to eat fewer calories without feeling deprived or hungry and that has helped me stick with it for the long haul and adopt it as an actual lifestyle.

Best lesson I’ve learned: Low Carb does not mean No Carb. When I’m maintaining my weight I can still have bread, pizza, and ice cream, I just don’t have those foods every day and I've learned how to balance them with lower carb meals.

Second best lesson I've learned: It’s really more about controlling your carbs and not letting the carbs control you.
  • hlo9603
    hlo9603 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Imagine me meekly raising my hand at the back of the classroom and saying quietly, "I'm an Atkins success story."

I started Atkins back in February 2014 and lost 50 pounds in the first 6 months. I maintained my weight loss for 5 months and I’m now ready to lose the last 20 pounds. I joined MyFitnessPal for the added motivation and support so friend me please!

As for the “calories in – calories out” epic saga of our time, for me, Atkins really is a reduced calorie diet. I just didn’t realize it because I wasn’t focused on my calories. Low carb vegetables, poultry, seafood, meat, eggs, cheeses, butter, olive oil, are all self-limiting foods. I just can’t seem to binge eat on chicken breasts and green beans. I get full, I stay full, and lose a pound the next day. So is the dramatic weight loss the magic of Atkins or reduced calories? For me it’s both.

Low carb allows me to eat fewer calories without feeling deprived or hungry and that has helped me stick with it for the long haul and adopt it as an actual lifestyle.

Best lesson I’ve learned: Low Carb does not mean No Carb. When I’m maintaining my weight I can still have bread, pizza, and ice cream, I just don’t have those foods every day and I've learned how to balance them with lower carb meals.

Second best lesson I've learned: It’s really more about controlling your carbs and not letting the carbs control you.

Thank u so much! Best response I've received so far! I appreciate your response and information!
  • gingerdos
    Options
    The forums at www.atkins.com are very supportive. There are many people on Atkins and on one of the many low carb diets who are successful and maintaining long term. There are many low carb recipes on the internet just google. Wishing you much success. We started Atkins on 9/15/14. I've lost 30lbs and am not active due to medical. My husband has lost 70lbs. We enjoy the foods on this plan!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I know several people who tried Atkins. They all lost a lot of weight. None of them, not a single person, was able to sustain the strict lifestyle long-term and all have gained the weight back and more.

Personally, I crash without some carbs. The only carb change I have made is to lower them from the ridiculously high amount I was taking in. No "low carb" quick fix.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    snowy0wl wrote: »
    the science of atkins has been dis proven by an indirect way by a using metabolic chamber analysis between regular caloric watching and so called low carbing. There is validity to kitosis but it's not a lifestyle you can live, most people can't stay on it. Body builders call it cutting and it's been done for years.

What they found was that even though you can eat fat all day long your body will start rejecting it, that is where you get your caloric deficit actually comes from. Fat and protein brings a natural cessation to hunger.

To swing the other way around Modern carbs have been exciled by "wheat belly" thinking. There is only one doctor saying that this is a real problem and it seems to be curing a lot of illinesses, not just weight. Sound familiar?

I would agree we have too much caloric food around (thank you modern society) but there is going to require a heighten sense of understading of what food does to your body.

Do you have a source for this ketosis study? I'm really curious about it. Also about this wheat belly stuff, if there is a decent study disproving it.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    snowy0wl wrote: »
    the science of atkins has been dis proven by an indirect way by a using metabolic chamber analysis between regular caloric watching and so called low carbing. There is validity to kitosis but it's not a lifestyle you can live, most people can't stay on it. Body builders call it cutting and it's been done for years.

What they found was that even though you can eat fat all day long your body will start rejecting it, that is where you get your caloric deficit actually comes from. Fat and protein brings a natural cessation to hunger.

To swing the other way around Modern carbs have been exciled by "wheat belly" thinking. There is only one doctor saying that this is a real problem and it seems to be curing a lot of illinesses, not just weight. Sound familiar?

I would agree we have too much caloric food around (thank you modern society) but there is going to require a heighten sense of understading of what food does to your body.

Do you have a source for this ketosis study? I'm really curious about it. Also about this wheat belly stuff, if there is a decent study disproving it.

Not a study, but an academic rebuttal to the points the author of Wheat Belly raised, complete with citations. My only hesitation with posting it is that it seems it was probably funded by cereal producers, but I don't think that undermines the logic in the author's replies.

aaccnet.org/publications/plexus/cfw/pastissues/2012/OpenDocuments/CFW-57-4-0177.pdf

• LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Another great resource is www.SugarFreeSheila.com, 13 year Atkins success story, so yes it can be done and done well. I used to think low carb meant no carb but that is not the case. You're supposed to gradually add carbs back in until you've found your maintenance amount and that can range anywhere between 50 and 120 Net Carbs a day. My low carb lifestyle contains whole grains, berries, sweet potatoes etc and that makes it very easy to stay with long term.
  • lynpattenson
    Options
    You know what's the main reason why people quit paleo after they started? That's is because of frustration of eating the same food over and over again in their meal plan.

If you want to start paleo diet, I highly recommend to get a cookbook first that will help you start and continue to attain great heath and well-being.

Please read this review to help you choose: http://bestpaleodietcookbook.com