Starting Couch to 5K (c25k) Monday, May 9th! Anyone with me?

Options

Replies

• ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited. Please count me in.
  • utgirl1172
    utgirl1172 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hey I just joined mfp this morning.. my mom has friend that told me about this site. I lost 50lbs last year but have gained some it back and I am trying to get back into shape. I'm going on a cruise June 18th so I wanna look great for it. I've been wanting to get into running for a very long. After 3 foot surgeries it has been hard, but I have heard C25K is awesome so I would love to be in the group! I also need some serious motivation for it to :). Also, I see everyone talking about the podcasts for it..where can I find those? I need some good music :). Happy Mother's Day!
  • Zelsawaf
    Zelsawaf Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    @JosieMars: You should still probably start from scratch, especially if you're planning on doing the running outside. The difference between running outside and on a treadmill, due to the harder landscape, changing elevations, etc. is pretty considerable. Plus, it's a work up process, so you want to train your body appropriately so it would probably be best to start on week 1. That said, that's just my opinion, so do whatever makes you feel like you're getting the most out of the program.

@utgirl: One website is runningintoshape.com that had podcasts. Otherwise just Google "Couch to 5 K Playlist" or "Couch to 5 L Podcast" and you should find some stuff.

@ALL: Looking forward to getting started on this tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
  • tim9862
    tim9862 Posts: 2
    Options
    Just finished Couch 2 5K program last week. But 8 weeks ago I signed up online for a 5k(random in the area) to keep me motivated. I found MyFitnessPal half way through the program and that helped me see the trends. I started at 238lbs and now 225lbs. After sucking for air with only running 60 secs at jogging at 4.5 mph on the treadmill on the first day of C25K, I finished my first 5k(3.1 miles) yesterday without walking!! It was fun. At registration they gave me a packet with a little, silver-dollar sized, "timing chip" and two twisty ties that I attached to my shoe laces. Then I started at the very back so I could hopefully pass someone throughout the race. (the chip can tell when you cross the mat at the start) I pinned on my number, and I was off. Ran (jogged) it in 35min17secs. Slow, but hey it was about the wt loss/fittness. I did finish ahead of 200 people. It was very exhilarating! Can't imagine how I'll do when I reach my goal of 185lbs.
    HINT: GET a good pair of shoes. love my rflex's.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Please count me in!!!
  • Katmela
    Katmela Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join as well! I was planning on starting C25K at the beginning of June, but I think I'm going to go ahead and do it with you guys. I'm a little anxious, because I have never, ever been a runner. I'm a pretty decent sprinter, but beyond that I have zero stamina. I want to join the Army, via the Nurse Candidate Program, in the next two years and I am already in the process of preparing for the PT test, which requires 2 miles of running.

Good luck everyone! We can do it!
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm so glad I searched this topic today b/c I was planning to start the program tomorrow. I'd love to have a group to check in with, so count me in!

I ran track for a while in high school and I LOVE running, I can't wait to be able to say I'm a runner again!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Wowwowwow I don't check this thread for one day and this group has practically DOUBLED lol! Fantastic!! Welcome, everyone!

In answer to your questions, you can join at pretty much any level you feel comfortable with, but just know that most of us will just go ahead and start at week 1, just because we haven't done this before and I feel like it would be safer to do so. But if you are already way into the program or feel like you'd get farther on a higher level feel free to do that, we could use your expertise! :)

Everybody add me if you haven't already!

ETA: Updated list (if you're not on here and want to be let me know, and I'll add you in)

HaleyAlli
    Katrob9
    Teebeegeebee
    StephanieDuckie
    KaeChelle
    Heathermrls
    Bethany7687
    OkieWorkout
    Mamato3inca
    Htuzzi324
    NDBee
    Breezey77
    Teemo
    Zelsawaf
    FierceFeline
    Skinnymeinaz
    Krostron
    Leslielove
    Cartina21
    Lynenz
    Nuttylou
    Purple1butterfly
    Margot18904
    JosieMars
    Ljc1057
    Utgirl1172
    Frida001
    Katmela
    Sarean
    Susuzz
  • susuzz
    susuzz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Would LOVE to join! I need some motivation. Started on mfp 1 year ago today. I did get down to my goal of 150 and was holding steady for about a month, and just this last month, I must have gotten too comfortable with myself, eating and exercise habits. I have crept up to 158 and am not liking it, I feel I need to get back to the basics and this is just the thing for me!

So count me in! !!

SW 186
    CW 158
    GW 150
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Adding you now, welcome! :)
  • daniedee81
    daniedee81 Posts: 155
    Options
    Hey guys,

I want to join you! i'm currently doing turbo fire so I'm starting C25k but doing each week for two weeks before moving on. I have the cool runnings app, a HRM, and a good pair of running shoes. I'm ready to go :)
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Welcome! For some reason it won't let me edit my post again but you're on the roster anyway :)
  • utgirl1172
    Options
    I was hoping to get in the group also :)
  • utgirl1172
    Options
    oh wait sorry i just saw that you did add me lol...thats what happens when i read to fast...lol..i can't wait to get started
  • wildmustng87
    Options
    I'm in! Been wanting to start it for a while and was already planning on monday :) I'll be running outside on a nice trail that's right up the road! My boyfriend will be running with me, just for fun :)

Thanks for starting this thread!
  • sim987
    sim987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic! Wish I'd seen it sooner. I ran 5k yesterday for charity for the first time in my life and with little training, but I did it! Hoping to improve on my time for another run in July, so this training is perfect. Thanks, I'm in!
  • x_sotonguetied
    Options
    count me in as well!

i've been running off and on for about a year now, but i'm still not awesome at it or anything.

and, i've been planning on doing this anyways, since my goal is to be able to do a 5K, so this is perfect.

good luck to everyone! i know we will all succeed! :)
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    I'm in. I am bored with myself and need something to focus on. And it just so happens to be the *perfect* time of year to start running outside. A few of you have asked...outside or treadmill? I like running outside instead of on a treadmill for two reasons: simplicity and boredom (relative lack thereof). If I decide to go for a 30 minute run, I get up, throw on some running clothes and head out...from alarm clock to finish, the whole thing is less than 40 minutes. If I have to go the gym...well, that 30 minute workout takes about an hour and 15 minutes when you start adding up travel time, the time it took to pack workout clothes and then change into them, checking in at the gym, etc...

I also find that when I can focus on a route and look at stuff, it seems to go a lot faster. However, I will say that when I first starting running, the treadmill was a must for this urban runner! If you are on the heavy side and if your musculature is pretty poor (which described me a few years ago), the treadmill is much lower impact than street or sidewalk running.

I also have to confess that despite all my opinions about running...I have started Cto5K about 3 or 4 times and never finished! I like the challenge and efficiency of running, but not necessarily the running part! So, I'm going to break it up into mini-goals.

My first mini-goal is to get to the end of week 3, and to feel pretty comfortable with week 3 (even if it takes me 4 or 5 weeks!).
  • chaparra81
    chaparra81 Posts: 31
    Options
    Just downloaded it to my phone need to train for my first half marathon for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society team in training. Count me in....please anyone that can offer support and motivation to me add me as a friend :)
  • allimax2002
    allimax2002 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join too. I'm not a runner and I have a feeling I may need to repeat a days but I really would like to be able to RUN!! Good luck everyone!! I know we can do this!!