Watch out!!! These foods apparently cause cancer....................

Options
1235»

Replies

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    f260bfabd8c3367fa895b7d2e2908c8f2407c7f3c21e6292087dc325d5713b83.jpg
    Finally have a use for this. XD

Do you keep memes in your back pocket, or in a binder somewhere for when you need them? Do you keep an account of memes somewhere, and recognize a situation where you can just whip one out at a moment's notice?

Gotta be prepared for any occasion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    We eat healthy, we exercise, we die anyways. That is the facts of life.

Enjoying a ice cream cone as we speak/type, lol. ;)
    Ah yes. Tell me I can't have any ice cream because it causes cancer, and I'll more than likely die of cancer than old age................yup.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]

• currentcoquette
    currentcoquette Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know this is supposed to be "scary" but like... now all I want is a steak.

Also who eats microwave popcorn every day? Let me in on the party that is your life please
  • nicnoahshaun
    nicnoahshaun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid most of these things. I think there's some merit to them not being great for you - especially nitrates and smoking meats. I actively attempt to avoid GMOs and hormones. I'm not perfect, but I feel good about reducing my intake of all items on this list (except Alcohol - you can't make me give up the *maybe* 10 glasses of wine I have a year!!)

Why do you avoid GMO's? They are completely safe to eat. I actually go out of my way to avoid organic food.

Completely safe because the FDA said it is?

Sorry but when food is resistant to pests and pesticides it makes me wonder what they're putting in it to make it that way. I'll stick to my heirloom variety plants from my own garden thanks.

And no, GMO is NOT the same as hybrid.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they're going to ever figure out that electricity causes cancer, and then we'll go back to the dark ages. I'm going to go get my tinfoil hat, who's going to join me?

In all seriousness, I question the validity of most experiments, especially if they are on lab animals (which I don't really like at all tbh). Humans will react differently to things than animals because while very similar, our systems are still different.

When someone's profile picture has bars on it does that mean they're banned from posting? Because I just noticed that someone up above has bars on their pic.

Sorry for randomness here, I'm having an ADHD moment due to lack of sleep and the fact that I just got off of a 70 hour work week :-P
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid most of these things. I think there's some merit to them not being great for you - especially nitrates and smoking meats. I actively attempt to avoid GMOs and hormones. I'm not perfect, but I feel good about reducing my intake of all items on this list (except Alcohol - you can't make me give up the *maybe* 10 glasses of wine I have a year!!)

Why do you avoid GMO's? They are completely safe to eat. I actually go out of my way to avoid organic food.

Sorry but when food is resistant to pests and pesticides it makes me wonder what they're putting in it to make it that way. I'll stick to my heirloom variety plants from my own garden thanks.

Genes
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I eat only a few of these, and those rarely. I have low alcohol intake, I love cured meats, but eat them rarely; I can my own tomatoes in glass, or buy POMI, which are store bought tomatoes in boxes instead of cans so no BPA; I make my own popcorn on the stove old school; I rarely ever eat white flour; I think my biggest culprits are conventional fruit/veggies - I just can't afford organic right now, and my garden is still small - but growing!!! Red meat - I do eat mostly grassfed; but we have beef probably once a week, or once every other week.

I have a really sensitive system and when I eat 'crap' I feel awful. I've had to learn to eat extremely healthy because my body doesn't give me much of a choice.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    oh and I agree with everyone on here - it would seem most everything causes cancer:) So you have to decide what's worth it to you, and what's not. Smoked meats.... I'll get cancer for smoked trout and duck any day of the week ;)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I guess you don't believe in immunization either then?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png[/quote]

• nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Frankly I will stick to conventionally grown and GMO based foods any day over organics.

Does conventionally grown produce get sprayed with a variety of herbicides/pesticides? You bet it does, but the ones used have been well studied and are shown to be safe. Do organic growers use pesticides? You bet they do! They are just naturally occurring as opposed to synthetic. Natural compounds can be just as nasty as synthetic ones (eg. Rotenone, long used as an organic pesticide is toxic to mitochondria and causes Parkinson's-like symptoms in rats), and many of these organic pesticides actually failed the highly stringent safety evaluations of the European Union.

The use of organic pesticides is more problematic to me because a) the amounts of these chemicals used on a crop is not required to be reported to the government and b) quite often much more pesticide has to be sprayed on the crops due to the lower efficacy.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I don't consume much of anything on that list. I grow and can my own tomatoes in glass, I eat salmon that my mother catches in a river, what little non-organic fruit I eat is local with minimal pesticide use, etc.

I do twerk though. Oh noes!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't consume much of anything on that list. I grow and can my own tomatoes in glass, I eat salmon that my mother catches in a river, what little non-organic fruit I eat is local with minimal pesticide use, etc.

Even if anyone ate "clean", if cancer is hereditary, risk is still higher than someone else who eats "dirty" and has no family history of cancer.

But keep twerking.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Even if anyone ate "clean", if cancer is hereditary, risk is still higher than someone else who eats "dirty" and has no family history of cancer.

But keep twerking.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Hereditary, environmental and simply a function of bad luck.

No cancer in my family, but most of my relatives eat pretty clean. Oh, except for my aunt who lives on potato chips and lunch meat--she had stomach cancer. Not shocking.

I eat fairly clean because that's how I grew up and that's what I like. If there is even a minimal possibility of reducing health risks, why not do what you can?

I shall twerk until I can twerk no more!
  • goddessofawesome
    edited February 2015
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

Genes

If it's just "genes" (which I highly doubt) and they're "so safe" why are they banned in most countries?

• goddessofawesome
    Options
    It also makes a lot more sense that the FDA would say "GMO's are safe" since the deputy commissioner is a former Monsanto employee.
  • V_Mark_V
    Options
    "All things are poisons, for there is nothing without poisonous qualities. It is only the dose which makes a thing poison.” -Paracelsus

My favorite Pharmacy quotation...words of wisdom!