Do you ever get angry you have to count calories?

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nope, I like it. Though when I first started I resented it a bit. But success and feeling awesome won out. :)
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Honestly I take some shortcuts to make counting calories less frustrating. The main one is that I eat preportioned frozen meals and snacks for breakfast, snacks, and lunches. Dinner and weekends I do smart guessing (no measuring foods, only adding ingredients rather than as meals).

For me, it is the best way to maintain this lifestyle long term.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    YES!! I wish I could just eat what I want when I want. Losing weight is hard and inconvenient work :'(
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    TBH I used to think this way - resentful that I had to make an effort that others seemingly do not. But the fact is that time stops for no one and me not making said effort because it feels unfair is only going to hurt me and leave me heavier and heavier year after year.

I track so I know what I am eating, so I stay on track if it results in weight loss, and fix it if I maintain or gain. It is a tool to help me get to where I want to be and stay there, nothing more, nothing less.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    grnice39 wrote: »
    Is anyone else mad that they have to do this, weigh and measure all their food? I deserve it. A lifetime of fast food and overeating has put me in this position but tonight I'm really angry. I spent a significant amount of time entering a recipe, making dinner and then weighing it all out so I could have the correct portion. I couldn't even take some of what I made out of the pan. I had to put it all into a bowl, weigh it, figure out the portion, calculate how much I could eat, etc...

I know I did this to myself and now I have to suffer the consequences but it's still depressing. Most of the time it isn't this much work because I tend to eat the same thing a lot but when it's something new, cooked from scratch, it takes forever.

But the good news, I'm going to keep doing it!

No. I don't consider it a punishment, something I deserve- it's something I GET to do because I'm taking care of me!

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. I'm happy losing weight is actually more simple and attainable than I ever believed it was.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    At first it was onerous. I hated it but then it just became a natural occurrence. Take apple out of fridge, put apple on scale, eat.

I get what you mean though - I ate way too many cookies, brownies and cupcakes in the last 10 years that this is what I have to live with.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I get mildly annoyed because I'm not supposed to have to on very low carb, but oh well. I still have to, at least for now. I also counted as a vegan, I count when I do intermittent fasting, hell, I'd probably count if I had a feeding tube (something I hope never to have!).
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm more mad at being fat.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sure. I also get angry that I have to wipe my butt. pay taxes, and work for a living. Oh wait, no I don't. because that's called life and there's no point in complaining about things I choose to do that make my life easier in the long run.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Meh... I wouldn't say angry, but I don't like "having" to do it. I know I don't have to have to, but it's so easy to go over. So I do it. It made me MORE angry that I put back on the weight I had lost prior so even though I've lost it again... I just keep doing it.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Its only hard at first. You will get to know the calories in a great many things and be able to estimate fairly accurately in time. I keep a running tally in my head but its all rounded numbers and it does not bother me. It is even a comfort at time. Sometimes I step on the scale and the number that reads back to me is not reflective of the effort I have put in. At those times I lean on my calorie count. I know that if I did not eat 3500 calories above my allotted amount I probably did not gain a pound and the scale is just reflecting a temporary increase in water weight.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It's not about punishment for your prior eating sins. It's about control, and managing a budget, just like you do with money.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not angry. Not feeling like it is unfair or tedious. I actually find it interesting and informative.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like getting mad about it, I think about how stupid it is to pay income taxes. I totally get where you are coming from, but it will pass, come back, and pass, rinse and repeat. That's just the nature of the beast. Good luck!
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm one of those annoying people that is grateful that they have food to eat, a kitchen to cook in etc. :open_mouth:
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm glad there is assistive technology for my broken appetite.

Really great way to put it.

It can be a nuisance sometimes, but you really get to know your food when you consider it carefully. So in that way, I'm thankful and glad it's something I do.
  • gryffen1
    gryffen1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get it. But for me, I put myself here, and that makes me more angry! There is called me scale coming out from an ex - Apple guy who struggled with wrought and the gray food always avail in tech companies. I need to Google the name but it v weighs c and gives you a nutrition library work from. I might try that depending on price.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    My sister told me "only dieters count calories" ... and I honestly agree. So .. it is not a thing you have to do, it is your choice. Contrary to what some may believe it is not a lifetime or even long term thing. But for some it has a time and place.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It only makes me angry when I want to go out to eat and I have to guess it. Thankfully I've done this so long (plus I know how to cook) so I'm good at guessing, but man. It's tedious.