Ways to get fiber?

Options
Everyday I seem to be rather low in fiber. I had been trying different flavors of quest bars but I honestly hate the taste. I can't justify eating something I don't like the taste of. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies but apparently not enough to reach my fiber goal. I am looking for foods (or supplements) that are high in fiber. I cannot eat wheat, barley, oat or gluten at all. I had tried psyllium capsules but they were so low per capsule it didn't help.

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Flax meal, chia seeds, beans.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Lentils! So many interesting things you can do with lentils...
  • infomancer
    infomancer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like stirring chia seeds into my morning yogurt for a fibre boost.

And I second the yay! for lentils ... I like adding a can of lentils to a slow-cooker dish like chili or beef stew.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Will look for lentils next time I'm at the store.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm eying a lentils chicken soup recipe and one of my go-tos is a lentil loaf (haven't made this recipe but it's an example).
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I take psyllium husk...not the capsules, the type you mix with water. I think mine is 9 grams of fiber per serving. Despite the fact that I usually eat 5 servings of veggies and fruits, I still don't get enough fiber through diet.

I also sometimes add black beans into my scrambled eggs for a little extra.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I'm eying a lentils chicken soup recipe and one of my go-tos is a lentil loaf (haven't made this recipe but it's an example).

I like the idea of the lentil loaf but when I went down to the bottom, it said there was almost 250 cals for only 9 g of fiber. To me that doesn't seems worth it, especially since my base calories (before exercise is factored in) is 1300.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Legumes. Have you looked at the nutrient profile of BLACK soybeans? And they taste fabulous.
    http://www.edenfoods.com/store/images/products/nlea/103050.gif

And greens, of course.
    My breakfast smoothie (greens and seeds etc.) had 15 grams of fiber.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    roughage, oats, legumes, lentils, etc.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much fiber you are trying to consume daily, but I generally get 30+ daily. I not only have issues with gluten, but also soy, yeast, msg and a whole bunch of preservatives. It is possible.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I like the idea of the lentil loaf but when I went down to the bottom, it said there was almost 250 cals for only 9 g of fiber. To me that doesn't seems worth it, especially since my base calories (before exercise is factored in) is 1300.

My lentil loaf has higher calories, but I get 15 grams of fiber per serving in mine because I use a flax egg and gluten free oats to bind mine. I usually eat it with just a veggie side, my meal is only about 350 calories total. My calorie limit is around the same as yours, and I usually come in lower than that.

This is the recipe I use. I usually add chopped mushrooms, use only a teaspoon of oil for the saute, and get all the moisture out of the vegetables. I use different seasonings, only top mine with a tablespoon of ketchup, and I use garbanzo bean flour instead of the oat flour. I get about 5 servings out of a loaf, and they're very generous. They're around 250 calories, you could get 6 and it would be less. They'd also have less fiber.

thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-ultimate-vegetable-lentil-loaf.html

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Raspberries have a lot more fiber than most fruits...9 grams in a 3/4 cup serving.

Also, unsweetened cocoa powder (I just use Hershey's) has 2 grams of fiber per tablespoon and only 10 calories. I don't know what you normally eat, but adding a couple of spoonfuls into yogurt, a shake, cottage cheese, or peanut butter could add a few grams. It's not enough on its own, but adding a couple of grams here and there can add up.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Chia seeds have 10g per oz. However, to get all the nutrients, when I ate them I lightly ground them, not sure if that affects the fiber or if you should down them whole.

Also, don't eat them dry off a spoon, put them in something with liquid content (smoothie, soup, gravy, etc) or you're likely to end up with a throatful of gelatinous strangeness!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Until you find the foods you like try using psyllium husk as a fiber supplement. ( it's a seed husk and used in over the counter products like metamusi ). Your local health food store should have it.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Legumes. Have you looked at the nutrient profile of BLACK soybeans? And they taste fabulous.

And greens, of course.

No I havent, but will look for them at the store.
    Valtishia wrote: »
    I don't know how much fiber you are trying to consume daily, but I generally get 30+ daily. I not only have issues with gluten, but also soy, yeast, msg and a whole bunch of preservatives. It is possible.

I know it is possible, the problem I seem to face is some of the foods high in fiber, I don't like the taste of, and I refuse to eat things I don't like. That was the issue with the quest bars.

My lentil loaf has higher calories, but I get 15 grams of fiber per serving in mine because I use a flax egg and gluten free oats to bind mine. I usually eat it with just a veggie side, my meal is only about 350 calories total. My calorie limit is around the same as yours, and I usually come in lower than that.

This is the recipe I use. I usually add chopped mushrooms, use only a teaspoon of oil for the saute, and get all the moisture out of the vegetables. I use different seasonings, only top mine with a tablespoon of ketchup, and I use garbanzo bean flour instead of the oat flour. I get about 5 servings out of a loaf, and they're very generous. They're around 250 calories, you could get 6 and it would be less. They'd also have less fiber.

Unfortunately I am allergic to actual oat, whether it be gluten free or not.
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Raspberries have a lot more fiber than most fruits...9 grams in a 3/4 cup serving.

Also, unsweetened cocoa powder (I just use Hershey's) has 2 grams of fiber per tablespoon and only 10 calories. I don't know what you normally eat, but adding a couple of spoonfuls into yogurt, a shake, cottage cheese, or peanut butter could add a few grams. It's not enough on its own, but adding a couple of grams here and there can add up.

Thank you. I will look for raspberries this week.
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Chia seeds have 10g per oz. However, to get all the nutrients, when I ate them I lightly ground them, not sure if that affects the fiber or if you should down them whole.

Also, don't eat them dry off a spoon, put them in something with liquid content (smoothie, soup, gravy, etc) or you're likely to end up with a throatful of gelatinous strangeness!

Thank you for the tip. Gelatinous strangeness just sounds awful.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options

And greens, of course.

I know it is possible, the problem I seem to face is some of the foods high in fiber, I don't like the taste of, and I refuse to eat things I don't like. That was the issue with the quest bars.

Might choke you up, too. By the way, I did my best to word that in a way that couldn't be taken the wrong way. Not sure I succeeded!
  • elphie754
    Options

And greens, of course.

Might choke you up, too. By the way, I did my best to word that in a way that couldn't be taken the wrong way. Not sure I succeeded!

Lol! I actually was thinking clean thoughts before you brought it up. Now I can't stop laughing.
  • Bukeelaka
    Bukeelaka Posts: 70
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Vegetables, fruits/berries & sprouted grain bread are my faves.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of raspberries and whole grain breads. Broccoli has a decent amount of fibre, too. Remember that there are two kinds of fibre -- soluble and insoluble -- and you want to try to get both into your diet.