What are the bad carbs?

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Twinkies are bad carbs, based on the recommendations of 99 out of 100 diets. And guess which is the one lone diet that tells you that when it comes to carbs, they are all the same, whether they are from Twinkies or veggies?
    Your obsession with twinkies is showing again.

OK, how about Devil Dogs?

My theory was validated. MFP is the one pro-Twinkie (or pro-Devil Dog) diet.
    Every single one of your posts has to do with Twinkies or Donuts. What's your obsession with making up stories of how people eat? Then you always say 98 or 99% of the people eat that. I guess I'm in the 1% because it's been years.

I can't eat either due to allergies so I'll join you in the 1%.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Twinkies are bad carbs, based on the recommendations of 99 out of 100 diets. And guess which is the one lone diet that tells you that when it comes to carbs, they are all the same, whether they are from Twinkies or veggies?

Every single one of your posts has to do with Twinkies or Donuts. What's your obsession with making up stories of how people eat? Then you always say 98 or 99% of the people eat that. I guess I'm in the 1% because it's been years.

Nice. I guess it's a party.

May I join? I've never had a twinkie, and I don't like doughnuts. Last time I had a doughnut was in 2002.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Nice. I guess it's a party.

Joining the party. I don't eat them either.

I do, however have to have a laugh at the idea of being "pro-Devil Dog" (or Twinkie, or Donut). I'm imagining a crowd, with signs. With pictures. Half the crowd has thumbs up under the images of the snack cakes, the rest has the confections in the middle of those big red circles with the lines through them. The crowd trash talks and hurls insults at each other. A big straw man sits on stage, looking out over the crowd, and smiles.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I regularly eat donuts but I've never had a twinkie
    xander_twinkie.gif
    http://www.moreteawesley.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/xander_twinkie.gif
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oreo cookies could be considered bad carbs. If those are bad, I don't wanna be good!

Another bad carb could be alcohol. Actually the calories are from hydrocarbons, not carbohydrates. But if I can't have a dram of good Scotch occasionally, what's the point?

In moderation. Especially the Oreos.

Thanks for mentioning Twinkies. Now I'm jonseing for Twinkies. They have to be good for you - instead of a expiration date, they have a half-life.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    carbs are generally very good. Many healthy world diets have their basis in carbs like rice and pasta. However, you are vulnerable to problems with carbs if you eat very large portions, don't exercise regularly, don't get enough fat, protein, and fiber.
  • bizarrefish
    bizarrefish Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrate, consumed in sufficient quantity, will absolutely stimulate weight gain in a way other nutrients do not, due in part to the action on the hormone insulin, which is essentially a handbrake for your metabolism.

Different people seem to be born with different 'tolerances', that is, some can eat more carbohydrate than others and not have any ill effects. Others may start seeing effects in teenagerhood. One possible reason for this diversity is ancestry.

I am not denying personal responsibility, it plays a major role in one's success. However, if someone is unlucky('insulin resistant'), and continues to eat carbohydrate at a level which maintains that condition, telling them to 'just exercise more' is essentially like telling a person eating sleeping pills to 'just stay awake'. They can do it, but their entire body is screaming at them not to. This is suboptimal, as willpower is a finite resource.

When insulin resistance shows up, people start needing to eat less and less and exercise more and more, just to maintain weight, all whilst feeling like they are malnourished. They can also start getting sick with fatigue, depression, things not healing correctly and bad blood numbers.

To say that calories is all that matters is out-and-out wrong and, amusingly, a violation of the second law of thermodynamics - http://www.nutritionj.com/content/3/1/9 .

Anyone who has put diesel in a petrol car should be able to appreciate that there is more to a well-running engine than just the number of calories in the tank.

There is some (a lot, in my view) evidence to suggest that the condition of insulin resistance is built up through carb-eating, specifically rapidly-absorbed (high-GI) carbs, such as juices, anything made with some kind of flour and even potatoes.

Carbs less likely to produce this condition include oatmeal.

Calories in the form of different nutrients absolutely have differing effects on the whole body, specifically on the 'calories out' side of the equation. In the grand scheme of things, one cannot control 'calories out', therefore a calorie-centric approach to energy partitioning (fattening and unfattening) is not always going to be of use.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The saddest Valentine's dessert ever:
    duyg84g5akdv.jpg

Twinkies with raspberry jam. For two. This. This is a bad carb.
  • elphie754
    Options
    duyg84g5akdv.jpg

Why is it bad? It actually looks cute:
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options
    duyg84g5akdv.jpg

It does look cute, but it also says "I don't love you enough to prepare a dessert that I have to look away from my phone for. Happy Valentine's Day, your present is still in the Wal-Mart bag."
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    duyg84g5akdv.jpg

It does look cute, but it also says "I don't love you enough to prepare a dessert that I have to look away from my phone for. Happy Valentine's Day, your present is still in the Wal-Mart bag."

to me, they are making valentines day into a joke, which i approve of. it's funny.

just sort of says they don't take a hallmark holiday seriously. says nothing about their love though.
  • elphie754
    Options
    duyg84g5akdv.jpg

To me it says- I was really busy but still thought of you so I made do with what I could. Or his/her favorite treat could be twinkies and this was very well thought out. Just because it isn't your idea of a romantic treat, doesn't mean it isn't for someone else.
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    duyg84g5akdv.jpg

they are making valentines day into a joke, which i approve of. it's funny.

I first saw this in a Woman's Day or Good Housekeeping or something. It was a three-ingredient recipe. I think it's a joke, but it was pretty earnest.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    duyg84g5akdv.jpg

It looks cute, but Twinkies are gross. They're just off-tasting grease with flour and sugar suspended in it.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    i like twinkies.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    duyg84g5akdv.jpg

It looks cute, but Twinkies are gross. They're just off-tasting grease with flour and sugar suspended in it.

One of many foods that didn't survive the change to cheaper ingredients in the late 70's/early 80's. There are only a few foods I can't have anymore that I miss. They're definitely not on the list.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »

So I will ask again....

What it I just finished training heavy?
    What is I just finished training heavy while bulking?
    Would some white bread or white rice be bad for me?
    Would some write rice and steak be bad for me since the whole GI rating of the rice chages?

Bumping this because I guess those that are preaching about bad carbs didn't see it.
    Well no, I don't think they would be bad for you in that case, but I'd say they're still to be eating in moderation, like the other poster said. However, I could still see it as being "bad carbs" since the "good carbs" should make up more of one's diet.

This discussion has been closed.