Cycling Challenge - February Biking Bike Bicycle

Options
As Per Our Fearless Leader, CricketKate:

Welcome to our February Cycling Thread. If you are new to posting on this thread, or if you are new to cycling, We welcome you! If you are returning from a previous thread, We welcome you, too.

This thread is for anyone who rides a bike. Do you bike to work? Do you pull your children to the park? So you ride weekends? Do you spin, at home or the gym? Or, are you just starting out and remembering how much fun you had biking when you were a kid? However you choose to push your pedal, you are welcome on this thread.

I am a fairly casual person and, as such, have created a fairly casual thread. There are no rules to how or what you post. My only request is that you be kind. You may post miles, minutes, # of rides, what the scenery looks like, anything. Whatever will motivate you to get on your bike.

Please know that everyone who posts is welcome and encouraged, whether you’re riding a 100 miler on the weekend or just riding around the neighborhood.

Copied the above from the January Challenge and started this thread as - hey, it's February! I sucked so bad in January, I had to hop on the bike and leave myself in a puddle today to start of the 2nd month of 2015.

February 1 - rode 30.5 miles for a duration of 01:05:00

February Totals: 30.5 miles - 1:05:00 hours

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    repeat of last months 100 miles per week with 10,000 of climbing

A few less days this month but will get my 400 miles and 40,000 feet.
  • Spedangie
    Spedangie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have been riding for 25 years-I ride road bikes with my husband. We're outdoors in spring, summer and fall, ride 4-5 times weekly, rides of 20-30 miles; occasional 40 or more mile rides. I live in central Kansas and trust me, the area where I live has plenty of hills. In fact I obtained the Giant brand bike I now ride at a very good price because someone who moved here from another state just could not tolerate all the hills she had to ride in this area. We also frequently contend with Kansas winds!
    Right now my husband and I use our bikes on a mag trainer inside. I mostly get my aerobic exercise at a local gym, but do use the trainer at least twice a week, just to keep my legs in shape for spring. Last night I spent 45 minutes on the trainer--I keep my bike in the big chainring and mostly use the smaller gears, to keep resistance at a fairly high level. Since I was in a spare bedroom the scenery was rather boring, mostly a napping cat and all my strings of various beads hanging above my beading table area--oh well, lots of color, and I watched the new MYTHBUSTERS!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread.
    Currently I am in training to do my first triathlon in July. I bought a road bike last August and got a couple of months in before winter hit here in Wisconsin. For the winter I am doing RPM class 4 x week. This last week I hit my 100 pound weight loss. 60 pounds since August 2014. For February my biking goal is to continue RPM 4 x week. Keep up in class and not fall off the bike!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    cblue315 wrote: »
    I bought a road bike last August and got a couple of months in before winter hit here in Wisconsin. For the winter I am doing RPM class 4 x week. This last week I hit my 100 pound weight loss. 60 pounds since August 2014. For February my biking goal is to continue RPM 4 x week.

Dang - 100 pound weight loss!!! Congrats and way to go. Sounds like you are keeping things going pretty well in the off season which is always a challenge for us that live in these snow infested, winter states.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Aaron here. Living in the Midwest. I've been riding / into bicycles for most of my life. Currently I ride road in the spring & summer and race cyclocross in the fall & winter.

Looking to do about 450 miles this month...at least that's what my coach wants.
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It's true. I only rode 2.5 miles in January. Perhaps I can do better in February. Will all hinge on health and weather. I'm not riding for fitness or for weight loss. But I do so love seeing the rest of you moving it like you're young and healthy! Gogogo.
  • Tymeshia
    Tymeshia Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I brought a bike in December for my birthday and I'm loving the ride. I use the time to get my exercise in while spending time with my 11 year old. I want to get around 100 miles in. I usually only ride on the weekends. I gained a lot weight so 10 miles are good for me . I got 10 miles in today, so more to search my goal
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I will ride my outside bike in the spring but will log my gym bike rides here!
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A fair weather rider here, so my bike will be in the shed for another month or two. I am therefore going to aim to do 3 spin classes a week.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    Options
    2/1 - 20 miles

Goal - 450

Remaining - 430
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Trying to learn to love cycling since I have hurt my foot and can't do much else. Bought a bike computer and put it on my bike (in the basement) specifically so I can update here!
    2/1 - 14k
  • jeancrase
    jeancrase Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    11 Spin classes for 143 miles in January, lost 10.5 lbs. February goal = 15 Spin classes and lose 10 more lbs.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Back on the bike after 23 years hiatus (a few miles here and there in the last two but nothing serious). Training to complete a century this year, lose some weight, and not get dropped on my group rides. 15 pounds to go.

2/1 - 38 miles

Goal: 300
  • Sarah_Cycles
    Sarah_Cycles Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Finally a sunny weekend in Raleigh, NC. 44 mi. Sat. 34 mi. Sun. But since Sat. was still Jan. put me down for 2/1 34 miles @ 16 . Love riding. Got ~3500 in last year. I like to track my cumulative miles on a U.S. map. 2013 I 'rode' I-40, 2014 I-85, 2015 I'm tracking I-10. So far I've made it to Tallahassee. LA, here I come.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    Options
    2/1 - 20 miles
    2/2 - 20

Total - 40

Goal - 450

Remaining - 410
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    February 1 - rode 30.5 Kilometers for a duration of 01:05:00
    February 3 - rode 30.17 Kilometers for a duration of 01:05:00

February Totals: 60.67 Kilometers - 2:10:00 hours[/quote]

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I Made it out on my bike for the first time since my world stopped turning last summer due to a cancer diagnosis. My poor little bike had cobwebs and 2 flat tires. I dusted it off, filled it up and rode for 4 miles. Man, that was tough!
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    Options
    2/1 - 20 miles
    2/2 - 20
    2/4 - 15

Total - 55

Goal - 450

Remaining - 395
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    2/1 40
    2/2 35
    2/3 25
    2/4 12

7000' climbing.

Got my miles in but kinda sucked on the vertical. Came up short 3000' this week. The cold got the better of me.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Done recovering from my marathon, back in town, and ready to ride.

Aiming for 400 miles this month, but it may get tough with a few guest visits.

2/2 - 13 miles
    2/4 - 5 miles

Total: 18 miles
    Goal: 400 miles