Strong Core = Running Strong

Options

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Unrelated: Does anyone else wish there was a "like" button in MFP? Anyway ... excited - will start with you today!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    Unrelated: Does anyone else wish there was a "like" button in MFP?
    likebutton.jpg
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    My Goal 3 days/week for 15 minutes each
    Week 1 - Day 1
    Plank
    Plank with Leg Lift
    One Leg Deadlifts
    Incline Bench Ab Sit-ups
  • runner475
    Options
    Week 1 - Day 2 check
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that "core" means more than just ab exercises. Most people have a problem with weak Glutes more than with weak abs. Hip thrusts, SL glute raises, and (already mentioned) SL Romanian dead lifts are important for a strong core.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I'm in; good video link showing the 6 Fitzgerald recommends. I'll add donkey kicks and twice a week add Azdak's 3. This will be fun.
  • Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm doing exactly that - using workout videos from fitnessblender, 4-5 times a week. I've started in October, and I believe it has helped my running already.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    1st day complete; 3 rounds of Fitzgerald's stuff.
  • Arimenta35
    Arimenta35 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! Today I did my 20mile run so I skipped my strength workout yesterday but tomorrow i'll definitely get in a core workout. I found another set of core exercises, this one concentrating on your hips and glutes. I got this on active.com/running/articles/13-essential-core-exercises-for-runners?page=2

1.Lateral Leg Raises: Lie on your right side with a theraband around your ankles. Lift your left leg to about 45 degrees in a controlled manner, then lower. I do 30 reps per side.

2.Clam Shells: Lie on your right side with your knees together and a theraband around your lower thighs. Your thighs should be about 45 degrees from your body and your knees bent at 90 degrees. Open your legs like a clamshell but don't move your pelvis—the motion should not rock your torso or pelvic girdle. Keep it slow and controlled. I do 30 reps on each leg.

3.Hip Thrusts: Lie on your back with your weight on your upper back. Your legs will be bent at the knee. Lift one leg so your weight is all on one leg and your back. Lower your butt almost to the ground and thrust upward by activating your glutes. This exercise is great for glute strength and hip stability. I do 25 reps on each leg.

4.Side-Steps/Shuffle: With a theraband around your ankles and knees slightly bent, take 10 steps laterally. The band should be tight enough so it provides constant resistance during all steps. Still facing the same direction, take another 10 steps back to your starting position. That is one set. I like to do five sets. This exercise will look like a slow-motion version of a basketball "defense" drill.

5.Pistol Squats: These are simply one-legged squats. The key to a successful pistol squat is to stay upright (don't lean forward), keep the motion slow and controlled, and make sure your knee does not collapse inward.

6.Hip Hikes: Stand on your right foot. With your pelvis in a neutral position, drop the left side so it is several inches below the right side of your pelvic bone. Activate your right hip muscle and lift your left side back to its neutral position. I do 20 reps per side.

7.Iron Cross: This dynamic stretch will help you feel loose after the previous strength exercises. Lie on your back with your arms out at your sides and swing your right leg over your torso and up to your left hand. Repeat with your left leg; do 20 reps total.
  • runner475
    Options
    Week 2 Day 1 - Sunday 1/25/2015 - Done
    Week 2 Day 2 - Wednesday 1/28/2015 - Done
  • runner475
    Options
    Week 2 Day 1 - Sunday 1/25/2015 - Done
    Week 2 Day 2 - Wednesday 1/28/2015 - Done
    Week 2 Day 3 - Friday 1/30/2015 - Done
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Yes! Core work is incredibly important and people really tend to neglect it and think that other exercises will solve everything and that is just not the case. You don't need to do a ton of Core work but some is definitely warranted. The Superman iso-hold is a really good exercise and really helps with running posture as well. Other variations

- Front Plank w/ Hip Extension: Front Plank but hold one leg off the ground basically.
    - Side Plank w / Hip Extension: Side plank and holding one leg up in the air.
    - Back Raises on a 45-degree bench.
    - Single Arm Farmer Carries w/ Dumbbell: Keep your posture straight while carrying a heavy DB.

Also, there's some talk of fatigue in this thread. Don't forget some basic strength training as well. The stronger you are the more efficiently you will run.

That was the biggest surprise to me - how much weight lifting helped my cardiovascular fitness and general endurance. I went from no exercise at goal weight (and I guarantee I could not have run a mile unless I was convinced a murderer was chasing me), to lifting heavy for ~7 mos, to lifting and running.

I found the running ridiculously easy, barring some shoe issues. A bit mind numbing on the indoor track, but very little muscle soreness, never felt like I was short of breath, good pace for a beginner and good posture (there's the weights again). No trouble jumping from 3 to 6 miles, and then pushing farther with a good half marathon training program.

Completely credit the lifting for the ease of the running.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Arimenta35 wrote: »
    Great job everyone! Today I did my 20mile run so I skipped my strength workout yesterday but tomorrow i'll definitely get in a core workout. I found another set of core exercises, this one concentrating on your hips and glutes. I got this on active.com/running/articles/13-essential-core-exercises-for-runners?page=2

1.Lateral Leg Raises: Lie on your right side with a theraband around your ankles. Lift your left leg to about 45 degrees in a controlled manner, then lower. I do 30 reps per side.

2.Clam Shells: Lie on your right side with your knees together and a theraband around your lower thighs. Your thighs should be about 45 degrees from your body and your knees bent at 90 degrees. Open your legs like a clamshell but don't move your pelvis—the motion should not rock your torso or pelvic girdle. Keep it slow and controlled. I do 30 reps on each leg.

3.Hip Thrusts: Lie on your back with your weight on your upper back. Your legs will be bent at the knee. Lift one leg so your weight is all on one leg and your back. Lower your butt almost to the ground and thrust upward by activating your glutes. This exercise is great for glute strength and hip stability. I do 25 reps on each leg.

4.Side-Steps/Shuffle: With a theraband around your ankles and knees slightly bent, take 10 steps laterally. The band should be tight enough so it provides constant resistance during all steps. Still facing the same direction, take another 10 steps back to your starting position. That is one set. I like to do five sets. This exercise will look like a slow-motion version of a basketball "defense" drill.

5.Pistol Squats: These are simply one-legged squats. The key to a successful pistol squat is to stay upright (don't lean forward), keep the motion slow and controlled, and make sure your knee does not collapse inward.

6.Hip Hikes: Stand on your right foot. With your pelvis in a neutral position, drop the left side so it is several inches below the right side of your pelvic bone. Activate your right hip muscle and lift your left side back to its neutral position. I do 20 reps per side.

7.Iron Cross: This dynamic stretch will help you feel loose after the previous strength exercises. Lie on your back with your arms out at your sides and swing your right leg over your torso and up to your left hand. Repeat with your left leg; do 20 reps total.

Those are good ones also. The keys to the first two are: 1) stay vertical with your pelvis--don't roll to one side; 2) keep the movement slow and controlled-pause briefly at the top of the ROM and squeeze; 3) if using bands, keep the resistance relatively low--it's more important to move through a full ROM with control (see #2) than to push a heavy weight.

#4: try looping the band around the mid foot rather than the ankles--this causes greater involvement from the hip rotators and makes the exercise more challenging.

#3: you can also do SL hip thrust with the bottom foot in a foam roller or by doing it between two benches -- shoulders braced on one bench, bottom foot pressing against the side of the pad on the opposite.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump* to read later.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Is it best to do the core workout on the days you run or on the inbetween days?
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Ghlt4 wrote: »

You can do them daily. Compound lifting, if you are running more then 3-4 miles, probably ought to be done as part of a lifting program and avoid doing compounds with longer running days. But core work is similar to low anaerobic work IMO so I can do it in conjunction with cardio like running, swimming, cycling.

• runner475
    Options
    Week 3 Day 1 Feb/1/2015 - Done

Yesterday marked the end of 30 Day Plank Challenge I had set myself up for in Jan.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Ghlt4 wrote: »

You can do them daily. Compound lifting, if you are running more then 3-4 miles, probably ought to be done as part of a lifting program and avoid doing compounds with longer running days. But core work is similar to low anaerobic work IMO so I can do it in conjunction with cardio like running, swimming, cycling.

Thank you!

• Mb0529984
    Mb0529984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this post! I am new to running and had no idea. It makes sense, but it was not something that I gave much thought.
  • runner475
    Options
    Week 3
    Day 1 Feb/1/2015 - Done
    Day 2 Feb/4/2015 - Done
    Day 3 Feb/6/2015 - Done