Does anyone not buy "lower-calorie" options?

Options

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    In general, I've had much more success eating the full fat foods instead of reduced fat foods. The full fat foods taste much better, are more filling, and tend to have less added sugar (and less of other additives too if you're concerned about that type of thing). Also if you're cooking, then your homemade foods will taste much better (and encourage you to keep cooking instead of buying pre-made foods).

Added sugar is a different story. Most foods with a lot of added sugar are typically just junk food anyway. So eat them sparingly. Reduced sugar versions are still basically junk food, so don't eat them because there's no reason to eat bland tasting junk food. Just eat the full sugar version and don't do it that often.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

You will see some people say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay under your calorie goals. IMO Garbage in = garbage out. I don't believe that it's okay to eat Twinkies and Ding Dongs all day every day as long as you're at a net loss. I throw in cheat days because I love pizza and wings and we should allow ourselves time off for good behavior from time to time to keep our sanity but in the long run eating healthy should be a normal part of our lifestyle and not just a quick weight loss fix.

Is this your copy/paste answer to every thread regardless of the OP?

To OP, I use sugar free stuff here and there like maple syrup and diet soda, just to save calories. But a majority of what I eat is regular, whole, full fat.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    actual light stuff I use- artificial sweetner in coffee, if I drink soda (dont usually) its diet, and I typically buy reduced fat dairy products, and mayonnaise.

I dont like regular mayo, so there is that.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I really don't pay attention if the product is low calorie or fat free, unless I'm cutting - even then I have to remind myself.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

You will see some people say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay under your calorie goals. IMO Garbage in = garbage out. I don't believe that it's okay to eat Twinkies and Ding Dongs all day every day as long as you're at a net loss. I throw in cheat days because I love pizza and wings and we should allow ourselves time off for good behavior from time to time to keep our sanity but in the long run eating healthy should be a normal part of our lifestyle and not just a quick weight loss fix.

To OP, I use sugar free stuff here and there like maple syrup and diet soda, just to save calories. But a majority of what I eat is regular, whole, full fat.

Sugar free maple syrup?????????????? No such thing since maple syrup is something like 95% sucrose. Then again, I live in a maple syrup producing state so we have the real stuff everywhere instead of the fake "pancake syrup" like Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth.

• Lisajohnston
    Lisajohnston Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do some lower calorie products and some full fat products. I don't like many low cal options I just eat less of the other stuff. I look at what is in it as well.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Sugar free maple syrup?????????????? No such thing since maple syrup is something like 95% sucrose. Then again, I live in a maple syrup producing state so we have the real stuff everywhere instead of the fake "pancake syrup" like Log Cabin or Mrs. Butterworth.
    I hear ya. My family makes gag faces when I bust out my sf maple flavor syrup. But 15 cals vs 200 is a big difference for me. I'd rather add In some extra fruit or bacon for that amount.

I hope the pure stuff by you is not as pricey as it is here.

• Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't buy low calorie anything. I just don't eat as much of the things I like. That way I get what I want but don't go over my goals. I rarely buy anything low fat because, at least from what I see, low fat ends up with high sodium. Might as well eat regular foods and just watch how much you eat of it.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm a "whole food"er. I take my full fat stuff (usually just a serving), and throw veggies or fruit (or popcorn) next to it for "more bites." cutting back to one serving (or less) of foods has helped clear up space in my calories.
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I buy some "light" foods simply because I like the taste as much or better than the regular ones. I love skim milk, the others make me feel like I'm drinking liquid shortening. Yuck. Philadelphia makes a fat-free cream cheese that is very tasty. I can't stand real sugar in drinks, so I go for the fake stuff in coffee and tea. Light margarine is just nasty though and I find that most "diet" baked goods taste like cardboard. It's all a matter of personal taste.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use regular butter, olive oil, etc. I dont buy low fat versions of anything. Id rather work real food in my every day diet then have zero cal spray butter thats highly processed. Gross...
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a big loss yet, but I use mostly whole fat products. I did switch to almond milk for myself because it made more caloric sense for me than using whole milk, but since I keep whole milk in the fridge, that is what I use in most recipes and in my coffee. I buy nonfat yogurt because it's cheaper, but in savory preparations I bulk it up with good olive oil. Other than that, and olive oil based mayo, I prefer to buy real cheese, sour cream, etc. My son (20 months) eats what we eat, and I try to be mindful of keep keeping artificial ingredients to a minimum. The great thing about calorie counting is that I'm eating the same food as my family and not preparing special meals for myself, or inflicting food exclusions on them. Good luck!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have never tried a low calorie version of something and liked it even remotely the same as the full fat/calorie version.

I always buy full fat/calorie.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't think of low fat or skim dairy as a low calorie option, but just a different version of the product with different macros and a somewhat different feel/taste. It doesn't have stuff added (unless you choose to buy flavored yogurt), but simply has the fat removed (or part of it removed). Anyway, I like both kinds, so drink/eat low fat and full fat milk and yogurt and usually low fat cottage cheese. (Real cheese and butter obviously must be full fat, and same with cream.) I also don't waste calories on drinks (and can't stand sugary soda), so if I drink soda I do diet. Anything else, though, I avoid the "diet" version, because if I'm going to eat something it has to be really worth it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't evil. Sugar isn't evil.
    I don't buy calorie reduced, sugar free, fat free products. I do choose to consume foods and drinks that are naturally lower in calories or eat small portions of higher calorie foods. I choose to drink mostly water or unsweetened tea and use my calories for food.
    I eat things like beef, chicken thighs, regular cheese or real butter regularly. Still losing weight because I fit it in my calorie goal.
    Just log as accurately as you can, stick to your goal and you can lose weight.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    When my husband was diagnosed diabetic, we went to a nutritionist and were told about how important it is to read the labels. We found that some things that were labeled "low fat", sugar free, fat free, and even "all natural" ended up being nutritionally worser for us than the "regularly" made stuff.

I'm not a big fan of "full fat" salad dressing, but if you go with the "fat free" dressings - they're all carbed up and full of salt. If they're sugar free, they're full of fat. There are some dressings that are in the middle - I think one of the brands has a "lite done rite" that's not so bad with the nutritional information.

I remember my mother being worried about her cholesterol and buying fat free ice cream sandwiches. Even though I told her that it was worse for her because of salt and sugars, she didn't believe me. My brother came over and actually pulled it out and showed her how much salt/sugar was in there, and told her how much was in what he bought, and she couldn't believe it.

I don't necessarily try to buy the "low cal" or "fat free" or whatever that's the latest thing. I try to base what I buy more on the nutritional information. I don't buy all organic either. Somethings I will, like milk. Other things like butter, I won't. I do try to pick things without high fructose corn syrup...but that doesn't always happen like I'd really like it to.

Just do the best you can. :)
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do tend to buy reduced fat cheeses and spreads, but that's more to do with having had my gall-bladder removed and therefore not able to tolerate higher levels of fat. I have bought diet products over the years but stopped because they are either lower calorie simply because they are smaller portions, or because natural but higher cal ingredients have been replaced with chemicals. I prefer to batch cook my own naturally lower-cal foods and freeze, so I have healthy 'ready meals' available if short of time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't usually do low cal salad dressings but I make my own and sometimes I make them with olive oil (higher cal) and sometimes with just balsamic or red wine vinegar plus something low cal like mustard.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I grew up on the lowfat and fat free options, so in a lot of cases I genuinely like or even--GASP SHOCK HORROR--prefer the way the diet version tastes (I can't handle fatty salad dressing or whole milk; they're like drinking oil and cream to me). And why not? Fewer calories of yogurt => more calories of FROZEN yogurt. What a coup. The modern world has some benefits.

On the other hand, if I don't like it (fat free cottage cheese, I'm looking at you), it is dead to me.

As long as I'm not the crazy people on Instagram putting calorie-free syrup on cucumber slices, I think I'm okay. B)

P.S. Cauliflower is not rice.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    VastBreak wrote: »
    I find that low fat and fat free options have a lot of additives and higher sodium. I don't think it is worth it to switch. I have a hard time finding full fat yogurt so usually buy reduced. I always buy full fat cheeses and sour cream. I find the taste better and more satisfying as well.
    The Greek gods yogurt is full fat and do delicious. I like the honey kind.