Simple little hack for more protein and less carbs

Options
I make a lot of one-pot stews, curries, etc that go over rice because they are easy and I can use them to put pretty much any leftover assortment of veggies I have to good use. Recently I discovered a trick that helps me keep my rice obsession in check and get in some extra protein too - I slow-cook a bunch of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week and pull them apart to use in a bunch of different things. Then when I have my curry or stew, I add some of the shredded chicken and only about 1/4 cup of rice instead of my usual heaping cupful. The chicken takes on a similar texture in the dish and adds protein. It also makes it extra filling.

Voila!

Replies

• ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Genius! I love chicken and rice and only having to clean one pot. (*)
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Vegans can use beans, lentils, or tofu in place of the chicken, with the same result, too. I have curry on my menu for tomorrow night. I can hardly wait, and I just finished dinner!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    TinaBaily wrote: »

Vegans can use beans, lentils, or tofu in place of the chicken, with the same result, too. I have curry on my menu for tomorrow night. I can hardly wait, and I just finished dinner!

How does using beans or lentils help cut carbs?
  • dclem2012
    dclem2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have found that a lot of stews, pot roasts, even chili work suprisingly well over greens instead of starches. My favorite is shredded pot roast over spinach or kale with some low fat shredded cheddar. The warmth from the meat slightly wilts the greens but you still get that wonderful crunch.
  • nissanmama
    nissanmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually throw a can of fat-free refried beans into my veggie soup to boost the protein. It will up the salt though so you have to adjust the seasoning.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

can you explain that? because yeah.

I'm confused beans and less carbs? I'd love to know how that works.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Lol, this. Magic beans.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

It is strange. I use beans as my carb in meals but now I'm hearing it's a 'low carb hack'.

Everything I know is a lie.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Lol, this. Magic beans.

do these magic beans bring me fartless money bags- because that would be awesome!!!
    It is strange. I use beans as my carb in meals but now I'm hearing it's a 'low carb hack'.

LMAO- YES!!!! I have a problem because I tend toward low-ish carbs (my aim is under 100- but I have a popcorn problem- so anything under 200 is realistic)... and when I go veggie for the week because I'm poor- i eat black beans and rice- and I'm always so sad- low protein- and high carbs.

everything IS a lie.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

How does using beans or lentils help cut carbs?

It would likely be more protein and less carbs than rice, especially less net carbs.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

It's fewer carbs than using rice either way. I think that was the point
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

It's fewer carbs than using rice either way. I think that was the point

The subject does say "less" carbs, not "low" carb.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have gotten hooked on shredded cauliflower for stews and saucy dishes. I do it for calorie reasons but it works for low carb as well.
  • mikegriffith79
    mikegriffith79 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of one-pot stews, curries, etc that go over rice because they are easy and I can use them to put pretty much any leftover assortment of veggies I have to good use. Recently I discovered a trick that helps me keep my rice obsession in check and get in some extra protein too - I slow-cook a bunch of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week and pull them apart to use in a bunch of different things. Then when I have my curry or stew, I add some of the shredded chicken and only about 1/4 cup of rice instead of my usual heaping cupful. The chicken takes on a similar texture in the dish and adds protein. It also makes it extra filling.

Voila!

The world could spin off it's axis if you didn't have rice with curry
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This is a sign that I need to make curry w/chicken. So you make curry which has got to be quite a lot and then on top of that a batch of slow cooked chicken, woman lol :), how much chicken is that to start with? No seriously, how much chicken is that your cooking? :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I hate how every way of doing something is now referred to as a "hack."

I came here just to say this. :applause.gif:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love slow cooking and shredding chicken breasts too. It's one of the only ways I like to use skinless, boneless breasts. I do it with turkey breast as well and, for variety, wings and legs (the turkey legs have been my favorite, but of course they have more fat and calories, at least when skin-on).

What I do is pack up a Tupperware with my sides of choice (usually a couple kinds of veggies and some potatoes or sweet potatoes, but beans are a great idea) and then add my protein. Easy lunches with whatever macros you like based on the proportions you choose.

(This week my protein is pork shoulder, which is a little more challenging for the macros, but worth it.)
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I hate how every way of doing something is now referred to as a "hack."

It's just a trendy marketing term. Processes sound more innovative, as if a secret code is being broken, if referred to as a "hack," rather than as a technique or method.
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great Idea! I'm going to do that thanks!