Lawsuit 'Discriminatory' Gluten-Free Menu

Options

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Go to France, ask for someone to change an ingredient in a restaurant meal. Prepare to get laughed at or mocked.

Seriously, I think many Americans have no idea how things work in the rest of the world.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Back to the original topic, my fear is that this lawsuit could cause restaurants to stop offering gluten free menus, that would be very very bad for all celiacs.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Jolinia wrote: »
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    There's actually a documentary about the case called "Hot Coffee." Here burns were pretty horrifying. The movie actually changed my opinion on the matter 180 degrees -- mostly by presenting the facts (and images) rather than the misconceptions. Turns out the whole "frivolous lawsuit" narrative has been driven by corporations who desperately want tort reform to further shield themselves from responsibility for their actions. Like someone else said, truly frivolous lawsuits are incredibly rare and almost always thrown out, but gosh they make a good news story don't they!

Meanwhile, a lot of cases that should go through the system are thrown out, too.

I disagree. The US justice system makes it really easy to plead a case and judges are usually loath to throw them out even when they should.

(I am a bit biased here, admittedly, but I'm still absolutely convinced this is so from what I've seen and what I know about the system.)

And I disagree with your disagreement. If everyone who is outraged over the coffee incident (most of whom know nothing about it except Rush Limbaugh's ravings) were at least willing to be just as outraged over Monsanto immunity, we'd at least be in a better position to protect ourselves.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I missed this yesterday, but holy hand grenade... a suit for this?

HOW DO YOU SPELL SPURIOUS? Anyone? Anyone?
  • dbmata
    Options
    1) She wasn't driving, she was a passenger and the car was parked. You keep calling her an idiot for spilling the coffee while driving, but that's just not what happened.

2) She wasn't rewarded for being stupid. The courts found her 20% responsible for her own injuries and adjusted the payout accordingly.
    She was an idiot and deserved nothing.

Instead got a handout, for being stupid.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Back to the original topic, my fear is that this lawsuit could cause restaurants to stop offering gluten free menus, that would be very very bad for all celiacs.
    I hope this happens from large chains, in an attempt to not offend people with gluten intolerances.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I would almost put money down that someone would sue over non gluten free options if restaurants pulled the gluten free option.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I hope this happens from large chains, in an attempt to not offend people with gluten intolerances.
    You hope the large chains pull their gluten free menus??? It's already almost impossible for me to eat out :( and we have no choice but to eat out at times, as we do a lot of travelling for our kids compete.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

I would almost put money down that someone would sue over non gluten free options if restaurants pulled the gluten free option.

Most restaurants already don't offer safe food options for celiacs. Most offer 'Gluten Friendly' or 'Gluten Wise' or some other option that means: This *shouldn't* have gluten but we make no promises.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Would it be so bad for celiacs to learn to cook for themselves or eat non-bready things? Is it so bad eating grains that don't involve wheat, eating more vegetables and proteins?

Seriously, even though I'm not celiac, I learned how to cook because most restaurants really make you a crap meal for the price you pay. Like, almost anywhere you go. I can cook a steak better than 90% of the restaurants I eat at, barring legit steakhouses. Ditto for the salmon my wife loves. LEARN TO COOK! LEARN TO LIVE WITHOUT HAMBURGER BUNS! For Pete's sake, you can still eat french fries and buffalo wings, we're just talking about gluten. The biggest injustice you face is not being able to consume beer and I rarely hear celiacs complaining about that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    You hope the large chains pull their gluten free menus??? It's already almost impossible for me to eat out :( and we have no choice but to eat out at times, as we do a lot of travelling for our kids compete.

Yes.

not because of you, obviously. but to show people that poor performance has repercussions.

I have a mild gluten issue, and frankly, those gluten free menus are pretty lame. We'd be better served by just not having the option and getting the bread/grains taken out.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Seriously, even though I'm not celiac, I learned how to cook because most restaurants really make you a crap meal for the price you pay. Like, almost anywhere you go. I can cook a steak better than 90% of the restaurants I eat at, barring legit steakhouses. Ditto for the salmon my wife loves. LEARN TO COOK! LEARN TO LIVE WITHOUT HAMBURGER BUNS! For Pete's sake, you can still eat french fries and buffalo wings, we're just talking about gluten. The biggest injustice you face is not being able to consume beer and I rarely hear celiacs complaining about that.

Go to a better class of restaurant there, friend. ;)
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

I can't believe this! Almost impossible for you to eat out?!?!?!? Salad with a protein is gluten free! Potatoes are gluten free! Corn is gluten free! Bacon, meat, seafood, cheese, dairy, non-wheat grains... it's ALL GLUTEN FREE! WTF? You really can't get over not eating literal bread? Rice won't cut it? Corn bread won't cut it? Gimme a break!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Would it be so bad for celiacs to learn to cook for themselves or eat non-bready things? Is it so bad eating grains that don't involve wheat, eating more vegetables and proteins?

Wow.

So what you're saying is that if someone has celiacs they're not allowed to eat out? That's what I'm getting from your comment.

It is a lot more than just "eat non-bready things". There is cross-contamination. My sister has celiacs and if she goes to a restaurant and wants to order say, french fries she has to ask "Do you fry the fries in the same oil that you fry the breaded chicken in. Yes? Okay then. I can't have fries." So no, if you go out you can't still eat fries and chicken wings. If you get a salad you need to make sure they don't put croutons on it. My sister has been to places, eaten her entire salad only to find the croutons hidden AT THE BOTTOM of her salad and guess what? She got sick.

And as for "eating grains that don't involve wheat" again there can be cross contamination depending on where the grains are processed. Also there are some people who can't eat gluten free grains.

Gluten is hidden in a lot of things and for someone with celiacs they can get sick if their hamburger is fried on the same grill that they toast the buns so yeah, it's a lot more than "DON'T EAT BREAD!"

And you probably don't hear about them complaining about not being able to drink beer because there are a lot of companies out there that make gluten free beer.

ETA: and even if they did make their own meals at home they still have to buy products that are specifically gluten free.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    gwensoul wrote: »
    ashleycde wrote: »
    You never see Canadians out there suing places. I accidentally had boiling hot water spilled on my hand at a coffee shop, had a big scar for years, and I didn't go suing anyone over an accident. Has anyone sued Starbucks over charging more for soy or lactose-free milk too? I stopped ordering lattes after they revoked the free milk surcharge for Starbucks card holders, but I didn't go crying about it.

The coffee case is one of those that is really misunderstood. McDonalds had over 700 cases of burns and held their coffee at a much higher temp then recommended which caused the lady (who was sitting in a non moving vehicle) to get 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body. If the store had held the coffee at the correct temperature no burns woudl have happened. She originally asked for $20k but was awarded more in punitive damages by the jury, although the final amount was greatly reduced. For comparison, Tim Hortons (in Canada) was sued for $2 million (awarded $70K) over hot potato soup burns. (Laflamme c. Groupe TDL ltée, 2014 QCCS 312)

Canada doesn't get a free pass, there are plenty of bad lawsuits out there all over. Less actaully go to court than you think though, anyone can file, but most are dismissed early on.

nope. not buying it.
    you're still an idiot if you spill you're coffee while driving-that's you're fault. it's not like you didn't know it wasn't hot. come on. She's still a nit wit.

Dunkin's coffee comes out of a nuclear reactor- I know this- and this is why I make sure it and it's lid are firmly secure before I drive off in my car. You shouldn't be able to sue because you have no godda*n common sense.

Considering she was in the passenger seat of a parked car, I guess you need to reread it. Or maybe take a look at the actual damage done. (image is NSFW)
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

Wow.

So what you're saying is that if someone has celiacs they're not allowed to eat out? That's what I'm getting from your comment.

It is a lot more than just "eat non-bready things". There is cross-contamination. My sister has celiacs and if she goes to a restaurant and wants to order say, french fries she has to ask "Do you fry the fries in the same oil that you fry the breaded chicken in. Yes? Okay then. I can't have fries." So no, if you go out you can't still eat fries and chicken wings. If you get a salad you need to make sure they don't put croutons on it. My sister has been to places, eaten her entire salad only to find the croutons hidden AT THE BOTTOM of her salad and guess what? She got sick.

And as for "eating grains that don't involve wheat" again there can be cross contamination depending on where the grains are processed. Also there are some people who can't eat gluten free grains.

Gluten is hidden in a lot of things and for someone with celiacs they can get sick if their hamburger is fried on the same grill that they toast the buns so yeah, it's a lot more than "DON'T EAT BREAD!"

And you probably don't hear about them complaining about not being able to drink beer because there are a lot of companies out there that make gluten free beer.

ETA: and even if they did make their own meals at home they still have to buy products that are specifically gluten free.

Wifey and I do the cross-contamination dance for her with land animals (she'll eat seafood and eggs, not chicken / beef /pork / veal / lamb). It's in soup stocks, most salads, some things that look totally harmless. You can do it or you can learn to cook. No one says you can't eat out, you just have to do the dance. Big thanks on the celiac lesson, consider me educated.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Stop eating there, problem solved.

for a minute I thought you were going to say stop drinking coffee!!!!!

I don't care what your opinion is on the lawsuit issue...not drinking coffee is just crazy talk!!

on this subject we can both firmly agree!!!!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I can't believe this! Almost impossible for you to eat out?!?!?!? Salad with a protein is gluten free! Potatoes are gluten free! Corn is gluten free! Bacon, meat, seafood, cheese, dairy, non-wheat grains... it's ALL GLUTEN FREE! WTF? You really can't get over not eating literal bread? Rice won't cut it? Corn bread won't cut it? Gimme a break!

Because it's how they COOK it! Are they cooking the bacon and burgers on the same grill that they use to toast buns? Are they frying the french fries in the same oil that they use to fry their battered chicken in? If they are then many people with celiacs will get ill from cross contamination.

You are so incredibly uneducated on celiacs disease.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    gwensoul wrote: »
    ashleycde wrote: »
    You never see Canadians out there suing places. I accidentally had boiling hot water spilled on my hand at a coffee shop, had a big scar for years, and I didn't go suing anyone over an accident. Has anyone sued Starbucks over charging more for soy or lactose-free milk too? I stopped ordering lattes after they revoked the free milk surcharge for Starbucks card holders, but I didn't go crying about it.

The coffee case is one of those that is really misunderstood. McDonalds had over 700 cases of burns and held their coffee at a much higher temp then recommended which caused the lady (who was sitting in a non moving vehicle) to get 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body. If the store had held the coffee at the correct temperature no burns woudl have happened. She originally asked for $20k but was awarded more in punitive damages by the jury, although the final amount was greatly reduced. For comparison, Tim Hortons (in Canada) was sued for $2 million (awarded $70K) over hot potato soup burns. (Laflamme c. Groupe TDL ltée, 2014 QCCS 312)

Canada doesn't get a free pass, there are plenty of bad lawsuits out there all over. Less actaully go to court than you think though, anyone can file, but most are dismissed early on.

nope. not buying it.
    you're still an idiot if you spill you're coffee while driving-that's you're fault. it's not like you didn't know it wasn't hot. come on. She's still a nit wit.

Dunkin's coffee comes out of a nuclear reactor- I know this- and this is why I make sure it and it's lid are firmly secure before I drive off in my car. You shouldn't be able to sue because you have no godda*n common sense.

Considering she was in the passenger seat of a parked car, I guess you need to reread it. Or maybe take a look at the actual damage done. (image is NSFW)

I've addressed that issue as well.

Either way- it's stupid to dress your coffee that way.

I don't care how bad she got her- you don't put hot coffee between your legs of a cardboard cup then pop the top.
  • dbmata
    Options
    More like they shouldn't.

Or, start their own celiacs friendly restaurants. Not everything is for everyone. I don't see jewish people trying to get pork taken off of menus because they can't have it.