Lawsuit 'Discriminatory' Gluten-Free Menu

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Because it's how they COOK it! Are they cooking the bacon and burgers on the same grill that they use to toast buns?

At the 600f+ of most food industry grills, any compounds from wheat would be quite literally burned off and ash. Inert ash. No impact.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that if someone has celiacs they're not allowed to eat out? That's what I'm getting from your comment.
    More like they shouldn't.

Or, start their own celiacs friendly restaurants. Not everything is for everyone. I don't see jewish people trying to get pork taken off of menus because they can't have it.

Then there shouldn't be vegetarian options on menus either. They should just stay home and cook their own food as well. There is absolutely no reason why there should be vegetarian options on the menu at a steak and seafood restaurant.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Back to the original topic, my fear is that this lawsuit could cause restaurants to stop offering gluten free menus, that would be very very bad for all celiacs.
    I hope this happens from large chains, in an attempt to not offend people with gluten intolerances.
    You hope the large chains pull their gluten free menus??? It's already almost impossible for me to eat out :( and we have no choice but to eat out at times, as we do a lot of travelling for our kids compete.

Yes.

not because of you, obviously. but to show people that poor performance has repercussions.

I have a mild gluten issue, and frankly, those gluten free menus are pretty lame. We'd be better served by just not having the option and getting the bread/grains taken out.
    Ditto. I also am GF and can easily make decisions as to what I can/cannot have without having the GF menu placed in front of me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying is that if someone has celiacs they're not allowed to eat out? That's what I'm getting from your comment.

Or, start their own celiacs friendly restaurants. Not everything is for everyone. I don't see jewish people trying to get pork taken off of menus because they can't have it.

Then there shouldn't be vegetarian options on menus either. They should just stay home and cook their own food as well. There is absolutely no reason why there should be vegetarian options on the menu at a steak and seafood restaurant.
    Agreed.

Excepting of course salads and sides.
  • goddessofawesome
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Back to the original topic, my fear is that this lawsuit could cause restaurants to stop offering gluten free menus, that would be very very bad for all celiacs.
    I hope this happens from large chains, in an attempt to not offend people with gluten intolerances.
    You hope the large chains pull their gluten free menus??? It's already almost impossible for me to eat out :( and we have no choice but to eat out at times, as we do a lot of travelling for our kids compete.

Yes.

not because of you, obviously. but to show people that poor performance has repercussions.

I have a mild gluten issue, and frankly, those gluten free menus are pretty lame. We'd be better served by just not having the option and getting the bread/grains taken out.
    Ditto. I also am GF and can easily make decisions as to what I can/cannot have without having the GF menu placed in front of me.

Yes but again, someone with celiacs needs to be aware of how the food is prepared. It's not just "Oh, I don't want bread or grains!" It's "are you using the same oil to fry the fries as you are to fry your chicken fingers? Is the grill where my salmon is being cooked on the one that you use to toast the buns for hamburgers?" If you have celiacs then cross-contamination is a huge issue.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Would it be so bad for celiacs to learn to cook for themselves or eat non-bready things? Is it so bad eating grains that don't involve wheat, eating more vegetables and proteins?

Seriously, even though I'm not celiac, I learned how to cook because most restaurants really make you a crap meal for the price you pay. Like, almost anywhere you go. I can cook a steak better than 90% of the restaurants I eat at, barring legit steakhouses. Ditto for the salmon my wife loves. LEARN TO COOK! LEARN TO LIVE WITHOUT HAMBURGER BUNS! For Pete's sake, you can still eat french fries and buffalo wings, we're just talking about gluten. The biggest injustice you face is not being able to consume beer and I rarely hear celiacs complaining about that.

Wow.

It is a lot more than just "eat non-bready things". There is cross-contamination. My sister has celiacs and if she goes to a restaurant and wants to order say, french fries she has to ask "Do you fry the fries in the same oil that you fry the breaded chicken in. Yes? Okay then. I can't have fries." So no, if you go out you can't still eat fries and chicken wings. If you get a salad you need to make sure they don't put croutons on it. My sister has been to places, eaten her entire salad only to find the croutons hidden AT THE BOTTOM of her salad and guess what? She got sick.

And as for "eating grains that don't involve wheat" again there can be cross contamination depending on where the grains are processed. Also there are some people who can't eat gluten free grains.

Gluten is hidden in a lot of things and for someone with celiacs they can get sick if their hamburger is fried on the same grill that they toast the buns so yeah, it's a lot more than "DON'T EAT BREAD!"

And you probably don't hear about them complaining about not being able to drink beer because there are a lot of companies out there that make gluten free beer.

ETA: and even if they did make their own meals at home they still have to buy products that are specifically gluten free.

Wifey and I do the cross-contamination dance for her with land animals (she'll eat seafood and eggs, not chicken / beef /pork / veal / lamb). It's in soup stocks, most salads, some things that look totally harmless. You can do it or you can learn to cook. No one says you can't eat out, you just have to do the dance. Big thanks on the celiac lesson, consider me educated.

But that's a personal decision, not a medically necessary one.

When someone with Celiac's ingests gluten - even small amounts for many, it does actual, permanent damage to their intestine. So it's not like they just get a belly ache and then it passes. It's a serious health risk.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Yes.

Yes but again, someone with celiacs needs to be aware of how the food is prepared. It's not just "Oh, I don't want bread or grains!" It's "are you using the same oil to fry the fries as you are to fry your chicken fingers? Is the grill where my salmon is being cooked on the one that you use to toast the buns for hamburgers?" If you have celiacs then cross-contamination is a huge issue.

Could you repeat that, please?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Yes.

Yeah, my sister is celiac and eats at various places fine and just chooses what works for her.
    You do realize that not every celiac is super sensitive, and some have it worse than others, yes?

I think having specific gluten free restaurants would be key. Because nowhere can you guarantee non-cross contamination, and expecting it from most restaurants is pretty insane.

• goddessofawesome
    Options

Yes.

I am trying to make a point because it seems that everyone is clueless when it comes to celiacs.

• SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I want to know why someone is making such an issue over having to pay more for GF items at an ASIAN restaurant where many of the dishes are already made with RICE and, therefore, GF in the first place!
  • goddessofawesome
    Options

Agreed.

Excepting of course salads and sides.

OT: I worked for a company and we had an outing at a steak restaurant. One guy was a vegetarian and he was disgusted over the fact that there were animal heads on the wall and complained to the restaurant manager about it. I never laughed so hard at someone in my life.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

I can't believe this! Almost impossible for you to eat out?!?!?!? Salad with a protein is gluten free! Potatoes are gluten free! Corn is gluten free! Bacon, meat, seafood, cheese, dairy, non-wheat grains... it's ALL GLUTEN FREE! WTF? You really can't get over not eating literal bread? Rice won't cut it? Corn bread won't cut it? Gimme a break!

You really have no clue. One single bit of gluten, and I am seriously ill. Not just a bit sick, but really really sick. Severe cramps, vomiting and diarrhea are no fun when you are stuck in a hotel room with kids who are one year out from Olympic trials and have to get up at 5 AM to compete the next morning.

Plus every exposure increases the chance of cancer, which I am already at high risk due to family history.

Potatoes gluten free? Not if they use processed or any thickener or added seasoning. Salad with a protein? Salad dressings aren't safe, and neither is the protein due to cooking cross contamination and seasonings. Plus they double dip with their hands. Grab lettuce to put on that wheat bun, then use the same lettuce to make my GF salad? Nope, won't work.

Bacon gluten free? Only if you buy gluten free bacon.

Non-wheat grains? Again, only if you buy certified gluten free, otherwise it is milled on the same equipment.

Don't give me any bull about bread, I don't give 2 cents if I ever eat it, I'm not one to demand gluten free bread or buns anywhere. You can wrap my burger in lettuce, but please, just let me order a burger that I know doesn't have gluten in it, and cook it with safe food handling, and I'll pay the extra $3.

I don't understand why the hate, but if you could walk a year in our shoes, I think your attitude would change.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

I don't remember seeing anyone ask for gluten to be taken off a menu! Just that we have a couple options that are safe.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think it

Yes.

I am trying to make a point because it seems that everyone is clueless when it comes to celiacs.
    it's because most "celiacs" are just stupid and think that gluten is "bad" for you and are just joining the trend to be hip.

The real winners out there are people who actually have celiac and can now find food in regular stores and restaurants and even if it is more expensive then the regular menu, it's available now.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Lol
    A woman is suing pan-Asian restaurant chain P.F. Chang's over the prices of their gluten-free options. According to Nation's Restaurant News, Anna Marie Phillips believes that the surcharge on the restaurant's gluten-free menu "violates the Americans with Disabilities Act" by forcing those who cannot eat gluten to pay more. Currently, P.F. Chang's charges gluten-free diners an additional dollar per item, compared to the regular versions of the dishes. The lawsuit argues that the pricing discriminates against consumers with celiac disease.

Phillips hopes to bring a class-action lawsuit "on behalf of diners with celiac disease or gluten intolerance who ordered items from P.F. Chang's gluten-free menu." Celiac.com writes that the lawsuit claims that over the past four years, more than 3,000 people in 39 states have been affected by the surcharge. The lawsuit also asks for an injunction against the chain to stop them from continuing to enforce the surcharge, restitution for all surcharges paid, and compensatory damages.

It's been a rough year for the chain: In June, P.F. Chang's confirmed that it was a victim of a data breach and that hackers stole the credit and debit card information of customers. The card info was then sold on an underground website where criminals purchase credit card data.

http://www.eater.com/2015/2/2/7967325/woman-sues-p-f-changs-over-discriminatory-gluten-free-menu

Are you serious? Does this woman (or anyone else that agrees with her) not go grocery shopping? I'm pretty sure her gluten free ingredients cost more... hence why her already prepared food in the resturant cost more... why are people so dumb? Did they check their brains at the door?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I don't remember seeing anyone ask for gluten to be taken off a menu! Just that we have a couple options that are safe.

Everyone gets a couple of options and, before you know it, the menu is 40 items long.

There are restaurants that do gluten free. Good for them. That's part of their business model.

For restaurants that don't have a setup to avoid cross-contamination, or products on hand to maintain their food standards, it's unreasonable to demand gluten free options.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    I want to know why someone is making such an issue over having to pay more for GF items at an ASIAN restaurant where many of the dishes are already made with RICE and, therefore, GF in the first place!

Soy sauce is made with wheat btw
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Restaurants don't have to accommodate allergies to nuts, peanuts, eggs, shellfish, dairy or anything else, either.

Many do, because there's a demand for it, and because if a restaurant gets a reputation for being especially accommodating and careful, then people with food allergies are more likely to eat there. Within reason, it could well be good for business.

But it's been my experience -- as a Canadian who has travelled around the world quite a few times -- that only Americans expect this sort of accommodation.

The European Union recently passed legislation requiring restaurants and supermarkets to inform consumers about the presence of certain common allergens in their food. But there's no law requiring them to make allergy-free versions.

Most people everywhere else in the world tend to view food allergies as bad luck, and they make do by cooking mostly at home or by finding a few places where they can eat.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Everyone gets a couple of options and, before you know it, the menu is 40 items long.

There are restaurants that do gluten free. Good for them. That's part of their business model.

For restaurants that don't have a setup to avoid cross-contamination, or products on hand to maintain their food standards, it's unreasonable to demand gluten free options.

I think you might have missed the suggestion that was made earlier in this conversation that restaurants that have gluten free menus should get rid of them.

Places that aren't set up for it, I just don't go in. But don't take away the places that are willing to accommodate.