Bagels in the office

Options
13»

Replies

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This article is going around MFP today and seems to be appropriate here:
    Article contains cursing. So, don't read it then flag me for abuse.
    http://strengthcoachtaylor.ca/uncategorized/the-brutally-honest-6-reasons-you-are-still-overfat/
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    This article is going around MFP today and seems to be appropriate here:
    Article contains cursing. So, don't read it then flag me for abuse.
    http://strengthcoachtaylor.ca/uncategorized/the-brutally-honest-6-reasons-you-are-still-overfat/

Very appropriate :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Oh look, the perfect people are here. Isn't there some other place where you guys can just sit around and congratulate each other on being perfect without having to hurl insults at innocent bystanders? Or are you not so sure you're perfect unless you're actively belittling others?
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I wish my co-workers brought in bagels. Today it was two huge chocolate cakes because it was someone's 50th birthday. So I had a small piece (best cake ever!) and ate less for dinner. But it sometimes takes a huge amount of willpower to turn down the yummy treats my workmates bring in.
  • estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Saying you have no self control about something gives yourself permission to do that thing.

Interesting trick you might try. Narrate your day to yourself as you're going through it. But whenever you perform an action, say, "I am choosing to <foo>."

Ferinstance, "I am choosing to sit at my desk and work. I am now choosing to get up to get a cup of tea. I am choosing to walk by the bagels. I am choosing to raise my hand to get a bagel. I am choosing not to touch the bagel. I am choosing to drive down the road. I am choosing to flip off the person that cut me off."

You simply would not believe the change in mindset. (And oddly, a rather peculiar feeling of power...)

That is a really great and empowering tool. You are responsible for your attitude, your effort, and your choices!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    joe575757 wrote: »
    Have you ever thought to yourself, (wo)man, I wish I ate a bagel on October 7th, 2009! It's really too bad I didn't?

My point is that the bagel doesn't matter to you in the long run. The happiness the bagel will bring you will last maybe 30 seconds, less if you eat like me. Turning it down might give you a couple of minutes of being upset about not getting what you want, but at the end of the day you won't even care. You probably wouldn't remember eating it or being upset about not eating it if you didn't log the food. I try to remember this when I'm tempted to break my dietary plan, it seems to help.

Of course, your mileage may very.

This is a good, logical way to look at it. I agree. If you remove any emotion attached to food, whether your own or someone else's it makes it much easier to make the right choice at the time.

In this case, though, for the OP what is more concerning is not the bagel itself, but that they've repeatedly asked the co-worker not to bring them a bagel yet they still continue to. That would just plain be annoying.

My question on the repeatedly asking to stop would be, did she just start trying to lose? Has she said Thanks for thinking of me but please don't bring me a bagel anymore?

Now if she's been very clear that she doesn't want one, which since she took the bagel sounds like she wasn't, I would agree it would be annoying.

True. Without more details from the OP it's hard to say which case it is, so I was just speculating. And I'm with you on the "sabotage" claim. No one can make us eat something we don't want to. I'm not saying the OP is doing this, but I see it quite often on these boards. I don't get it.
  • estud003
    estud003 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    price0909 wrote: »
    Or, you can fit a bagel into your calories for the day. No need to suffer - just try and make it work.

The bagels in NY are 10x the amount of a bagel on MFP.. I weighed the piece I took and it was 1.75oz.

Not making excuses just looking for support from my biggest downfall.

This is what I have come to.... "I dont need it, and it wont help me get to where I want to be"

If you enjoy them so much, just eat them! Making foods you enjoy "off limits" makes you want them even more. If the portions are truly enormous, cut one in half, prepare it as you normally would and savor it! Log it and carry on with your day. Don't think of it as a defeat that you ate half a bagel, enjoy it!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Is your workplace hiring? I love bagels. I have one (jalapeno cheddar, preferably) every morning for breakfast. No problems hitting my goals.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    one of my coworkers brought in donuts today and nobody told me and by the time i noticed them, the box was EMPTY!!! :cry:
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat bagels...but they sit in my stomach like a lead balloon :(
  • price0909
    price0909 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did post to Motivation and Support right?

Was just looking for support from people who can relate or a "You can do it!" Or ways you may avoid these situations

Why is everyone arguing? If you don't have anything nice to say to another person or don't like a response, just click off of the page.

I'm not going to comment anymore on my situation so I don't spark any other arguments.

This should be a place to come for people to ask for help and support.

Thanks for the useful advice.i will keep it in mind.

I used to look at food as fuel.. not sure what changed. I love food! Good food though. I really don't eat processed foods well try not to anyways. I try to only feed my son home cooked meals and organic unprocessed when possible.

Just have to change the way I look at food.

The one that stuck out..

Have you ever thought to yourself, (wo)man, I wish I ate a bagel on October 7th, 2009! It's really too bad I didn't?

This made me laugh
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Oh look, the perfect people are here. Isn't there some other place where you guys can just sit around and congratulate each other on being perfect without having to hurl insults at innocent bystanders? Or are you not so sure you're perfect unless you're actively belittling others?

Oh, shut the *kitten* up
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because I was such a picky eater as a kid, and resisted the lure of the "Clean Plate Club" my parents so desperately wanted me to "join." But I've never had a problem saying, "No, thank you," when someone offered me food.

At a previous job, someone would bring bagels to our weekly meetings. On those days, I skipped breakfast so I'd eat a bagel instead. At another job, the boss frequently bought donuts. On days I wanted one, I ate one. On days I didn't, I didn't. Sometimes I brought one home for my husband or to eat later. Sometimes I left them and someone else would take them.

If someone keeps buying you a bagel after you've said, "please don't," just leave it sitting on their desk. Eventually, they'll stop wasting their money. You're under no obligation to eat something you don't want.