Metabolism issues

Options
2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes. I log all food. I do use measuring cups for liquid. I drink 128-160oz of water a day and I do workout. I'm not a stranger to losing weight. I have been on MFP for a few years. As I stated before, I have lost weight before....just having a little trouble now. Every persons metabolism isn't the same so I thought I would ask a general question here.

That answers the part about the measuring cups but not the part about the food scale.

If you'd like specific advice open your diary. Otherwise, if you think there's something wrong with your metabolism see your doctor and ask for a referral to endocrinology. I just know that when I got here I was convinced that there was something wrong with my metabolism because I was eating "so little" and not losing. Looking back at my food logs from then it's kinda laughable that I thought they were accurate. As soon as I started logging properly weight loss was no problem.
  • michellea12
    michellea12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm actually having the same problem. I lost 30 lbs after my first two kiddos. I got pregnant with my third baby. I stayed within the healthy weight requirements throughout my pregnancy. Now I've been working out at least three if not four times a week (running burning 300-400 calories each run). Counting every calorie that goes into my mouth. (Down to eating a spoonful of peanut butter or the crust off my sons sandwich) for two months now. I rarely go over 1200 calories a day. Nothing. It's frustrating I know. Just stick with it. If nothing else I'm trying to convince myself even if the number doesn't change I'm getting healthier by at least trying
  • Twins_mommy09
    Twins_mommy09 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm actually having the same problem. I lost 30 lbs after my first two kiddos. I got pregnant with my third baby. I stayed within the healthy weight requirements throughout my pregnancy. Now I've been working out at least three if not four times a week (running burning 300-400 calories each run). Counting every calorie that goes into my mouth. (Down to eating a spoonful of peanut butter or the crust off my sons sandwich) for two months now. I rarely go over 1200 calories a day. Nothing. It's frustrating I know. Just stick with it. If nothing else I'm trying to convince myself even if the number doesn't change I'm getting healthier by at least trying

Thank you!! I will just keep trying!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

You said you count calories, but do you weigh your food? Log everything you eat?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Yes. I log all food. I do use measuring cups for liquid. I drink 128-160oz of water a day and I do workout. I'm not a stranger to losing weight. I have been on MFP for a few years. As I stated before, I have lost weight before....just having a little trouble now. Every persons metabolism isn't the same so I thought I would ask a general question here.

Do you weigh all your solid foods?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    maxit wrote: »
    Your metabolism doesn't need a boost.
    Actually, you don't know this, Lifting4Lis. Twins_mommy, you can consult with your primary care doc about any metabolic issues you may have going on, and also get some help from a registered dietician around your current nutrition needs.

Actually, I know that if she did have a medical problem with her metabolism, she wouldn't be consulting a bunch of strangers on the internet, she would be seeking her physicians advice. So for generalization purposes, her metabolism doesn't need a boost!

Not always.

Some people come here first and have no clue why it's not working. So they poke for advice. Without knowing exactly what issues should send them to see a doctor.

Just so you know there actually a number of metabolic issues which become pronounced and apparent while one is trying to lose weight. Thyroid issues, Adrenal Issues, hormonal issues, Pituitary gland issues to name but a few. All very real, all easily missed and according to the American Medical Association there are millions of people undiagnosed right now.

So while in theory her metabolism may not be broken, and she might not be logging to perfection of the gods perfect. There is still that chance she could legitimately have something wrong.

Please see your doctor as a starting point. A wellness visit is a great idea for adults too.

While there is always a chance there could be a medical issue, you still want to address the most basic of things before jumping to conclusions that something is wrong. The chances are much greater that the OP is either inaccurately tracking calories or inconsistently. If the OP opens her diary we can evaluate things. But generally, you want to follow a basic protocol so you can remove the basic issues first (accuracy/consistency being the most prevalent). Then you can either adjust calories or modify macronutrients.

It's really no different than going to a doctor. If your symptoms suggest you have a cold, they treat it as such. If you don't get better, they do more research. What they don't do is see all the symptoms for a cold and immediately run CT scans, X-rays and a huge work up.

So while I understand, that your situation was long and tedious, the OP should still address the basics prior to freaking out.

So does the OP use a scale and can she open her diary?

• katc615
    katc615 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've read that warm water with lemon in the morning can help kick start metabolism. Just a thought :)
  • cfmac
    cfmac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you use fresh lemon or lemon juice?
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Usually, not always, conditions that affect the metabolism have other symptoms besides weight. If you feel something is not ok, besides the slow progress, consider asking your doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    katc615 wrote: »
    I've read that warm water with lemon in the morning can help kick start metabolism. Just a thought :)
    cfmac wrote: »
    Do you use fresh lemon or lemon juice?

No, there are no special properties in lemon juice.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Two major things to increase metabolism 1. exercise (specially weight training) and 2. gaining new muscle (but that mostly needs surplus of calories).