How to gain weight with a quick metabolism?

Options
I'm looking to gain 15 lbs. My metabolism isn't making this easy though? Any advice on gaining weight healthily with a quick metabolism? All advice is appreciated.

Replies

• cflint809
    cflint809 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Having the same issue here, I'm learning the value of calorie dense foods and trying to eat more small meals throughout the day. Trying to gain good weight is tough, I don't seem to ever be hungry anymore so that's something.:)
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • LoDover
    Options
    I have the same problem :s i asked around and basically all they told me was to eat peanut butter, eggs, breads, pastas, potatoes and drink lots of milk. I hope that helps
  • Melody_MCV
    Options
    To help slow down your metabolism and gain weight do the opposite of what people do to lose weight. Eat fewer, bigger meals. Your body will react by storing food instead of burning it, because the time between meals is longer.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Melody_MCV wrote: »
    To help slow down your metabolism and gain weight do the opposite of what people do to lose weight. Eat fewer, bigger meals. Your body will react by storing food instead of burning it, because the time between meals is longer.

I'm pretty sure the time between meals doesn't make a difference.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Quite simply untrue. Many people here lose on two or even one big meal a day. You're peddling a myth.

OP cut the exercise and activity right back and eat high fat, high carb food but not more than about 20g of sat fat a day, your diary can track that. Eat your veggies for nutrition and aim for 100g of protein a day.
  • tbj3232
    Options
    LoDover wrote: »
    I have the same problem :s i asked around and basically all they told me was to eat peanut butter, eggs, breads, pastas, potatoes and drink lots of milk. I hope that helps

Sounds like a true story to me. I've been on my weight gain. You have to put calories in. Peanut Butter is rich in fat, and calories. Carbs will help too. Just be sure to avoid too many carbs that are high on the glycemic index (helps avoid big spikes in your blood insulin levels....don't wanna chance diabetes).

All in all, you have to EAT!

I'm up 16 lbs in bout 3 or so months.
  • TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Srs
  • xJohnbull
    Options
    No matter how much you eat, eat more !!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods. Peanut butter, nuts, avocado, olive oil.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You may consider strength training to build muscle, if you aren't already. Plus high protein/fat rich foods.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    For every person that has told me they have a "quick metabolism" and can't gain weight I always have the same answer: You're eating at maintenance or less. I bet if one at 600-1000 calorie meals every 3 hours, they would gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the time between meals doesn't make a difference.

No, that's fallacy derived from the mythical "starvation mode". IF and OMAD are actually used as a weight loss strategy for many so it's probably best to avoid for weight gain.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    As stated above, just eat more and if you are having trouble then eat dense calorie foods that many would say are "junk" foods or "empty" calories. Just get as many calories into you and you will gain but just make sure that you eat a balanced diet with all your nutritional needs met and you'll start putting on weight.
  • elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Many people who believe they have a quick metabolism are in reality just not eating as much as I think. Make sure to get an accurate count for your calories, and then increase them by eating more food in general (especially higher calorie foods)
  • la_twh
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone for their advice. I appreciate the help.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »
    Many people who believe they have a quick metabolism are in reality just not eating as much as I think. Make sure to get an accurate count for your calories, and then increase them by eating more food in general (especially higher calorie foods)
    This. Or they're eating a lot of calories for a few days but then relaxing on their intake, just like people who "diet" by eating less for a few days and then wondering why that wasn't enough for them to lose weight. Just like you won't lose weight in a few weeks, you won't gain that quickly either.

• elfman5150
    elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had a friend back in college who started bulking, and ate a lot of food for a few weeks. He started gaining weight and getting stronger, but I think he must have been afraid of the scale going up because he soon stopped eating as much, and got frustrated that he wasn't gaining. Don't be afraid to eat more than you think you 'should.'
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eat more ice cream.