Is shoveling snow a workout or not!?!?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I've spent 3 to 4 hours shoveling non-stop when we've had big snowfalls. You bet I logged that as a workout.

* Disclaimer: I now have a snowblower so those days are over
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I think it is a great workout. It works my core and arm muscles and it is great cardio. I am in Chicago as well. And I looooooovvveee the wine break!!! LOL!

I dont log it as exercise I just make a mental note that I have some extra calories if needed.

Not if you took a wine break. :)
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Of course it's a workout. I think the official total here in Chicago was 19.1". The stuff that came down Sunday was wet and heavy. The rest of it that came overnight for Monday morning was light and fluffy. All together, it was a lot of friggin snow.

I don't log shoveling as a workout. I let my Fitbit decide how many calories it's worth. I think the Fitbit overestimates the number of steps because of the extra arm movement, but walking calorie estimates don't usually include throwing thousands of pounds of snow. So overall I'm pretty sure I'm burning a lot more calories than Fitbit thinks I am.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    keden7 wrote: »
    400 - 600 calories per hour, according to Web MD.

webmd.com/parenting/fun-and-fit-family-11/calorie-burners

I wore my heart rate monitor the other day and didn't burn quite that much. 324 in almost an hour and a half. I went out for a follow-up shovel but didn't wear the HRM.

I wouldn't log it if it were only 30 minutes, but when I'm out there for 90 minutes to 2 hours I'd say that's legit. The stuff is heavy and I'm throwing it onto piles that now reach my shoulder. I didn't eat back the calories, though I usually eat back some on my regular workouts (when I burn 430-500+).
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    We've been missing out on the snow this year where I am. But last year? I'd spend hours shoveling my driveway. I absolutely logged it, since it wasn't something I did regularly. (However, if it was only a few inches and/or only took 20 minutes or so I wouldn't.)
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    You better believe it's a workout! Shoveling an inch off the front step, not so much. But I know what you've been getting in Chicagoland and that should count as a workout! Especially if you're sweating.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    My favorite is when you shovel off your walk, and the city plows come right by and undo all that work...

And then you're so pissed that you try to drive over the pile they made and get stuck...

And then you get a workout by half-digging, half pushing your car out. It's even better by yourself... put it in neutral, then get out and push it over the hump. Then hop back in and drive away. Hills make this harder to do safely.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, clearing last year's snow in Chicago was the only exercise I got in winter, but I didn't log it. Now I log every minute and wear a HRM because I'm just like that and kinda interested.

And yes, it can be dangerous. FIL did his back in shoveling and it was the start of his final decline.
  • sarakaufman
    sarakaufman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    shoving snow is defiantly a work out. there is a web site you put your weight age and click on what you did and tells you how many calories you burned. http://www.healthstatus.com/perl/calculator.cgi
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    cantobean wrote: »
    Um, yes. Why wouldn't it be? It's hard work and if you have a long driveway like mine, it's going to take you at least 40 minutes of sustained effort!

40 minutes?! I shoveled just the sidewalk in front of my house and the end of the driveway and that alone took me 30 minutes! I can only imagine how long I would be out there if I did the whole driveway. Thankfully, my friend came by with his plow as I was finishing the sidewalk and did the driveway for me :-)

• Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, it isn't a regular activity, and it is somewhat strenuous, so I log it, but cut the time by 50-75% in MFP to make sure I'm not overestimating.

It is at least as hard as a brisk walk, no? People log walks.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    mscheftg wrote: »
    You better believe it's a workout! Shoveling an inch off the front step, not so much. But I know what you've been getting in Chicagoland and that should count as a workout! Especially if you're sweating.

Don't base your workout by how much you sweat. Everybody in Florida would be skinny then, lol and some people don't sweat much and some people sweat majorly just doing minor things.
  • strikermiz
    strikermiz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I log 1/2 the time so i dont overestimate. Is it spring yet?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    My favorite is when you shovel off your walk, and the city plows come right by and undo all that work...

And then you're so pissed that you try to drive over the pile they made and get stuck...

And then you get a workout by half-digging, half pushing your car out. It's even better by yourself... put it in neutral, then get out and push it over the hump. Then hop back in and drive away. Hills make this harder to do safely.

hahaha, I've not done this but seen this.

After a brief stint in highschool with BMW ownership, I switched to trucks. Dogs, women, and snow parking approved. lol.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    As others have pointed out, it isn't a regular activity, and it is somewhat strenuous, so I log it, but cut the time by 50-75% in MFP to make sure I'm not overestimating.

It is at least as hard as a brisk walk, no? People log walks.

If that logging follows what I've been told, that may be code for relations, and not actual ambling through the countryside.
  • dbmata
    Options

Or when you shovel not once or twice but 3 times and then a good friend stops by with a plow to do you a solid....

I should learn to be nice once in a while so I can have a friend like that... lol.
  • thecraftinista
    thecraftinista Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As a Canadian...YEEEES! A few friends of mine wear their HRM while shoveling and they are clocking about 600 calories an hour having to shovel snow. It's a whole body workout!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM and log it! Last year I burned over 600 calories in an hour.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. But then, it's not an activity that is out of the norm around here. We pretty much have to shovel something every 2-3 days from Dec-March. I shoveled when I was fat, I still shovel now that I'm not. I just consider it a "bonus". :)